English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 October 2018, 03:47   #1
AC/DC HACKER!

Installing OS 3.1 from OS 3.5 CD

Hello,

I think I found a bug in WinUAE..

You'll see the crash in the log. If I choose all the printers and languages then it attempts to complete, but then a big halt happens. If installing 3.1 without any printers selected and only American selected, it errors.

If I bypass the Installer for 3.1, and do it by hand, from the "hidden" Workbench3.1, that data copies fine. But select the Extras3.1, it crashes or freezes when dragging Fonts directory over to HD.

Any things you'd like to know? I'm using A4000 CSPPC settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installing WB3.1 from OS 3.5 CD - Crash.png
Views:	99
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	60396  
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae_debug_4.1.0 Installing OS 3.1 from OS 3.5 CD.zip (18.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 23 October 2018, 09:37   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I guess reason is the usual: too small stack. "Amiga program did something stupid" in the log is usually stack related. (Function return address getting corrupted) EDIT: Or source (or destination) has too long paths. Almost surely nothing to do with WinUAE.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 23 October 2018 at 14:09.
Old 23 October 2018, 21:14   #3
AC/DC HACKER!

Greetings Toni,

Doing a "normal" install it keeps crashing in a few different ways. Some Red Gurus and others in Yellow or a completely odd color crash. But, it's not a stack problem.

When it fails, it during the fonts copy. It doesn't fail with my real A4000 CSPPC/68060.

Even with JIT off, and Fast as Possible or A500/A1200 speeds, same crashes. I went back to 3.3.0.0 and that crashes also. Turbo Floppy or 100% Compatible, same thing.

I found a solution that functions every time. Double Click on the OS 3.5 CD, then drag OS-Version3.1's Icon to the Hard Drive to be installed to which copies everything in that directory (as per normal) Then start the install from there, and choose your language from there. It installs without any errors from more than 10 times of repeating the entire install process of Partitioning HD, formatting, etc.
Old 24 October 2018, 10:07   #4
Daedalus

That's very odd - the 3.5 CD version of 3.1 is what I always use when I'm making a 3.1 install and I've never had an issue like that (and I always do a full install, with every language, keymap, printer driver etc. selected). How are you mounting the CD in WinUAE? Is there some issue with foreign characters, spaces in file names or something that's tripping up the installer? Also, which version of Installer are you using? Are you booting WinUAE from an existing disk or drive that has an older version of Installer than the CD perhaps?
Old 24 October 2018, 10:51   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

@AC/DC HACKER!
With which operating system are you starting WinUAE?
On WinUAE try to recreate a new config (start from scratch), starting from a preconfiguration of the QuickStart !
Old 24 October 2018, 11:31   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, which CD filesystem and how did you mount it? It looks like it was CSPPC SCSI mounted so it could be CDFS related.

Does it work if you use WinUAE built-in CDFS mounting?
Old 24 October 2018, 19:39   #7
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That's very odd - the 3.5 CD version of 3.1 is what I always use when I'm making a 3.1 install and I've never had an issue like that (and I always do a full install, with every language, keymap, printer driver etc. selected). How are you mounting the CD in WinUAE? Is there some issue with foreign characters, spaces in file names or something that's tripping up the installer? Also, which version of Installer are you using? Are you booting WinUAE from an existing disk or drive that has an older version of Installer than the CD perhaps?
Usually I use 3.1 Floppies and that doesn't have any challenges. I don't like installing all the languages, keymaps and everything. I prefer only what's needed - I understand AmigaOS is pretty small. :-) Installer from 3.1.. Booting from Workbench 3.1, with Install 3.1 to use a minimal of the floppies and prep the HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Yeah, which CD filesystem and how did you mount it? It looks like it was CSPPC SCSI mounted so it could be CDFS related.

Does it work if you use WinUAE built-in CDFS mounting?
I am attempting (for now) to make it just like my A4K with CSPPC.

Found it!! Disabled CSPPC mounting from SCSI 0. Then copied the required files to RAM: from Extras and Storage. Now it's mounting via 3.1 files and copying with normal install of 3.5. Makes sense, now that I look at it, because when 3.1 is installed then the CD doesn't have to be mounted from CSPPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
@AC/DC HACKER!
With which operating system are you starting WinUAE?
On WinUAE try to recreate a new config (start from scratch), starting from a preconfiguration of the QuickStart !
I am using QuickStart A4000 CyberStormPPC to create a Tutorial.