English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 31 July 2016, 18:03   #181
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
@idrougge; how "the hell" is it that you have the impression an accelerator is needed to play this game?
Let me restate that for you: Who the hell has a RAM expansion but no hard drive? Most RAM expansions on the A1200 also doubling as accelerators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
... Not everyone has a hard drive, be it in a real Amiga or emulated environment (or know how to set one up / create assigns / blah, blah, blah).
Actually, everyone who has 4 MB of extra RAM in his A1200 has a hard drive long before that. There's no point in having lots of RAM if you must fill it up using floppies.

There's no need to know how to set up a hard drive. You can buy one pre-installed. I think most people did that when they bought their first hard drive.

Quote:
... Even if people do know how to do the above; some just prefer disk images because it's quick and easy (as weird a concept as it may seem to you idrougge).
And floppies are not quick. They're the slowest medium you can use on an Amiga. If you think of a disk image as quick, your Amiga must be really broken.

Quote:
... These packages allow people without expert Amiga knowledge, GameBase Amiga users and other real Amiga users with Gotek USB hardware (and no hard drives) to be able to play these "HD only games" (yes, at the cost of RAM).
Clicking an icon is not expert Amiga knowledge, it's something people who use Windows and Macs do all day long. If you find clicking an icon difficult, chances are you're some kind of Unix luddite, in which case you'll manage using keyboard commands instead.

Quote:
Anyway, each to their own really; I'm all about choice and making things easy for people who only know how to / can run disk images
Don't make things out to be what they aren't. If you think it's funny to shuffle things around on floppy disks and editing startup sequences (which, according to what you write above, must be seen as rocket science compared to using a hard disk), then feel free to go on with your hobby. But don't make it out as if you're helping anyone — your target audience of "massively expanded machine without a hard drive" just doesn't exist, and what people who can't extract an lha archive need is not an ADF, but basic help with extracting an archive. If the install script is bad, fix the script instead of going to lengths repackaging software in useless ways.
Old 02 August 2016, 09:44   #182
Amiganiac73

I prefer to use DamienD disk images because, it does not install anything on your hard drive, it only uses the Ram Disk and the floppy for saving the games.

It's better that way because it doesn't overwrite, the Amiga Workbench Specific versions of the Libraries, Fonts and many other important, files that are required for the system to work properly.

Many times I had to Re-Install the workbench due to sudden resets and Guru Meditations and all because installing the games.

So.. these disk images allows me to play the game right away without any worries.
Old 02 August 2016, 16:44   #183
idrougge

As I said: If that's the problem, the problem is fixed by fixing the install script, not repackaging the game in absurd ways.
Old 02 August 2016, 17:52   #184
capehorn

Well I for one appreciated your adf very much Damien.
Old 02 August 2016, 18:03   #185
DamienD
Banned

Thank you Amiganiac73 and capehorn

...seems so far 33 other people do also, can't be that "absurd"
Old 02 August 2016, 19:20   #186
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
As I said: If that's the problem, the problem is fixed by fixing the install script, not repackaging the game in absurd ways.
Are you volunteering your services to fix all Amiga games with problematic HD installation scripts then??

Quote:

Yeh, the stats don't lie.....something not lost on more observant readers here. I don't emulate or use a Gotek drive, so I don't directly benefit from the great majority of your ADFs. However, I'm not going to begrudge anyone else gleaning some benefit from them just coz there might be a better way of going about it.

If people were receiving zero benefit, then downloads of your ADFs would be negligible. Same deal with Cloanto and Amiga Forever BTW......if there wasn't a market that benefited from WinUAE being "repackaged", then sales would be low and Amiga Forever would've died ages ago. Live and let live, I say.
Old 03 August 2016, 04:19   #187
Amiganiac73

Quote:

Thanks to you DamienD
Old 07 November 2016, 11:02   #188
Adrian Brown

New Video....

Just found out about this thread... Thought i would post up a video of the game... This still isnt finished but I think its alot more complete than the demo online. Might be tempted to reverse engineer it to finish it as all the original source was lost.

(P.S. If someone has got Craig's email, can then send it over, ive lost touch with Craig and Will etc.)

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 07 November 2016, 11:02   #189
Adrian Brown

Oh sorry for the dodgy video work, i can sort out a better video at some point

Old 07 November 2016, 13:25   #190
DamienD
Banned

Hello there Adrian,

Welcome to EAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Brown View Post
Might be tempted to reverse engineer it to finish it as all the original source was lost.
Real shame that the original source was lost. If you do get the chance / time that would be awesome indeed and I'm sure much appreciated by all
Old 07 November 2016, 13:40   #191
Adrian Brown

Some news... ive managed to locate a backup of the Amiga source code on the amiga harddrive (The original was on PC via SNASM), not sure what level it was at. Also found loads of the original graphics etc. Not all the tracks are there, but i think ive got 3 of them. Certainly a good starting point.

Old 07 November 2016, 13:48   #192
Amigajay

Quote:
Some news... ive managed to locate a backup of the Amiga source code on the amiga harddrive (The original was on PC via SNASM), not sure what level it was at. Also found loads of the original graphics etc. Not all the tracks are there, but i think ive got 3 of them. Certainly a good starting point.
Great news!

I remember looking forward to this one so much at the time, i think i first saw it in Amiga Pro magazine!
Old 17 February 2017, 15:34   #193
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hello there Adrian,

Any news regarding this?
Old 18 February 2017, 13:04   #194
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ooooh yes... any news
Old 22 May 2017, 21:51   #195
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I just heard that Craig has met Adrian recently.. they are going to try and get his A4000 working might be something that comes out of that.
Old 23 May 2017, 00:29   #196
DamienD
Banned

Great news stainy, keep us posted
Old 11 November 2017, 16:23   #197
DamienD
Banned

Shameless bump...

Any news Adrian / stainy?
Old 28 May 2019, 02:07   #198
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

That video that Adrian posted of the game in 2017 was very interesting....has Adrian provided that more advanced build of the game to anyone?
Old 28 May 2019, 11:45   #199
DamienD
Banned

Unfortunately not

...unless stainy has something?
Old 03 June 2019, 13:42   #200
Hewitson

Any news on The Bell... sorry, The Big End?