English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 10 March 2014, 13:09   #1
steviebwoy

Eek Amiga emulator for iOS

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the best options are for getting an Amiga emulator running on my (jailbroken) iPad Air?

I've managed to get AmigaPad working on my iPad but it lacks a Save State option so is pretty much useless for me (avid SWOS player).

I have heard rumours about Defender of the Crown being hackable in some way, but I don't how versatile this is for disc swapping etc.

Apart from that, it doesn't really seem like I have many options. I've written a post on the RetroArch boards about adding the Amiga core to RetroArch but didn't get a reply so I guess that's a dead goose too.

All in all, my efforts have so far proved fruitless which I find quite crazy given how many people would jump at an Amiga emulator on iOS (jailbroken or otherwise). What can we do about this folks?
Old 10 March 2014, 14:45   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebwoy View Post
Hi all,

I was just wondering what the best options are for getting an Amiga emulator running on my (jailbroken) iPad Air?

I've managed to get AmigaPad working on my iPad but it lacks a Save State option so is pretty much useless for me (avid SWOS player).

I have heard rumours about Defender of the Crown being hackable in some way, but I don't how versatile this is for disc swapping etc.

Apart from that, it doesn't really seem like I have many options. I've written a post on the RetroArch boards about adding the Amiga core to RetroArch but didn't get a reply so I guess that's a dead goose too.

All in all, my efforts have so far proved fruitless which I find quite crazy given how many people would jump at an Amiga emulator on iOS (jailbroken or otherwise). What can we do about this folks?
AmigaPAD was the only one. Its repo is since gone.
I cant find version 2 anywhere, only have version backed up.
Old 10 March 2014, 15:26   #3
steviebwoy

FOL - I've got v2.1.1 on my iPad and have a Zip file of it which I'm happy to e-mail across to you, if you think it'll be useful?

I unzipped a Zip file using iFile and it loaded into var/stash/Applications as a .app file.

You can also view the contents on the .app file on PC. I don't know whether that opens up any possibilities for adding the Save State option given your experience with PSPUAE?

Last edited by steviebwoy; 10 March 2014 at 15:51.
Old 11 March 2014, 14:36   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
FOL - I've got v2.1.1 on my iPad and have a Zip file of it which I'm happy to e-mail across to you, if you think it'll be useful?

I unzipped a Zip file using iFile and it loaded into var/stash/Applications as a .app file.

You can also view the contents on the .app file on PC. I don't know whether that opens up any possibilities for adding the Save State option given your experience with PSPUAE?
I have been playing around with the source, but haven't got it to compile correctly as yet, still working through errors one by one.

I have so many projects on the go at the moment, .
I would love zip of the 2.1.1. As thats the only reason I re-JB my IPAD3.
Old 11 March 2014, 15:21   #5
steviebwoy

Ace, drop me a PM then mate and I'll email the files your way!

If you could add a Save State option to it somehow I would be over the moon!
Old 11 March 2014, 18:41   #6
milinks

Hi Steviebwoy, I've been looking for amigapad 2.1-1 for about 2 months now, after I inadvertently deleted my amiga folder while freeing up space, being in hospital and wanted to watch aaa movie , now I've got about 500mb of games I've lovingly converted from my old amiga but no way to play them on my ipad, I've just read you have a zip file of it, could you please, please mind sending me a copy of it and I'll big you up forever!
Hope you get this message and are able to help me out, you'll be a hero of the biggest order if you can, regards, milinks

Old 11 March 2014, 18:42   #7
milinks

Ouch! Didn't mean to post my email there, please don't kick me, regards

Old 11 March 2014, 23:22   #8
steviebwoy

Please PM me if you'd like a link to the Zip file

I added the Zip to a location on my iPad, then used iFile to unzip it to;
var/stash/applications

Restarted the iPad and AmigaPad 2.1.1 was on my home screen

The only thing it lacks is a Save State! Have I mentioned that? Man, it's driving me potty - why wouldn't the developer have this feature!!?

Last edited by steviebwoy; 13 March 2014 at 10:38.
Old 12 March 2014, 15:32   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
why wouldn't the developer have this feature!!?
One word, "APPLE", .
Old 12 March 2014, 20:42   #10
spotUP

the settings are a bit wack.. it runs out of memory when trying to run 15 years of fame by up rough for example.. is there a way to edit the uae prefs file on the ipad?
Also the screen is scaled really badly, atleast on my ipad2.
Old 13 March 2014, 10:37   #11
steviebwoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
One word, "APPLE", .
Apple didn't develop it though! UAE4Droid has a save state option, so I'm baffled why the developer of AmigaPad didn't think "You know what would be really useful? A save state option". RetroArch seems to have managed a Save State pretty well too.

Now that you presumably have the .app files, do you think there's anything you can add FOL?

Last edited by steviebwoy; 13 March 2014 at 11:05.
Old 13 March 2014, 15:02   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Apple didn't develop it though! UAE4Droid has a save state option, so I'm baffled why the developer of AmigaPad didn't think "You know what would be really useful? A save state option". RetroArch seems to have managed a Save State pretty well too.

Now that you presumably have the .app files, do you think there's anything you can add FOL?
Think there was no profit in it, so it was dumped, due to apple banning almost all emulators on Store. It was mainly done for ports like DOTC.

I need to get it compiling first, think I need a dev license though.
New to MAC compiler.
Old 13 March 2014, 16:23   #13
steviebwoy

Ohh okay, is there anything I can do to help? Would it be easier to just port WinUAE/PSPUAE over to iOS?
Old 02 April 2014, 04:06   #14
xArtx

He means you need a paid developer license to run anything that you compile on any non-jailbroken iOS device.

Mine expires in less than a month, but if you want anything compiled in the meantime let me know.
That doesn't mean you can run the same thing on any of your devices.

I also have an emu that compiles under iOS 7 without the plague of errors in the original that has a lot
of now depreciated calls in it.
Old 02 April 2014, 04:59   #15
TommyIII

I love using AMIGAPad

Old 04 April 2014, 13:34   #16
steviebwoy

Me too, but it doesn't have a Save State so it's kinda pointless for me - every time you want to play a game you have to load it from scratch which obviously takes a fair while. Plus it restarts every time you lock your screen or use another app.

A combination of those two factors makes AmigaPad pretty useless in my book - so much so I'm actually now looking at getting an Android tablet so that I can use UAE instead.
Old 05 April 2014, 18:00   #17
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I keep considering an iPad but really want an Amiga emu for it... first...

Help me FOL, you're my only hope
Old 06 April 2014, 00:54   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I keep considering an iPad but really want an Amiga emu for it... first...

Help me FOL, you're my only hope
Been having lots of problems with Hackintosh of late, the 10.9.2 update screwed me up, got that sorted, but haven't got the source to compile successfully yet.

Im currently back to working on PSPUAE at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
He means you need a paid developer license to run anything that you compile on any non-jailbroken iOS device.

Mine expires in less than a month, but if you want anything compiled in the meantime let me know.
That doesn't mean you can run the same thing on any of your devices.

I also have an emu that compiles under iOS 7 without the plague of errors in the original that has a lot
of now depreciated calls in it.

Are you able to compile milio's standard version? theres two in the source, one for defender of the crown and one normal emu.
Ive been trying to get normal one to compile.
Old 20 April 2014, 21:38   #19
Si2252

Could someone please send me the zip file for amiga pad 2.1.1

Thanks

Old 21 April 2014, 16:48   #20
nickslay

Please where is 2.1.1 deb file ?
if any1 send me i can share for all
send me in private link
thanks