English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 12 April 2024, 12:08   #1
Memory Station

Floppy disk Deluxe Galaga source code

In the documentation to Deluxe Galaga, the author Edgar M. Vigdal offered that you could buy the source code of the game for only $75, £50 or 500 NOK.

It would certainly be interesting to read. Deluxe Galaga is a game with many mysteries and hidden features.

Does anyone have a copy? Perhaps someone has a contact with whoever inherited Mr Vigdal's source code?
Old 12 April 2024, 17:52   #2
hitm4n

The guys that bought all of Edgars game rights, including his PC were a couple of ex work colleagues. They had the intention to crack his passwords, get into his PC and backups and continue to sell, update and develop all his stuff. To my knowledge, they managed to crack into his computer and get at a lot of his files, but the code in Edgars games is extremely complicated and in a lot of areas very clever and i wouldn't be suprised if they couldn't make sense of a lot of it. Thats if they even managed ot get at the raw code.

I know Ed used Borland for GUIs back in the day, C# at other times and Unity in the latter years. In the few years after Edgars death, nothing has come of the purchase and Edgars old sites just seem to be dwindling away over time. People still purchase his games too, i am still messaged to ask how to get in touch, get the key or contact the new owners. The guys just don't seem so bothered the more time passes.

In all my years talking to Edgar about his Amiga days, i'm reasonably sure that the offer about buying the source code came up in convo. If i do recall correctly he said no-one bought it and i don't think its likely to turn up at this point.

I have a huge archive of Edgars old game dev stuff, almost all assets for all the games, including Deluxe Galaga, all the raw sound effects, all music, even things like development icons for the more recent apps, but ZERO code. He was very protective of his code.

It would be nice though if it came to light. Add, or change the levels, introduce new enemy sprites etc. Would be cool.
Old 12 April 2024, 19:26   #3
klx300r

Thumbs up

A masterpiece and my all time favourite vertical shooter that I still play regularly today on my Amiga
Old 17 April 2024, 15:28   #4
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
I still also play Deluxe Galaga and did buy the reg version for PC called Warblade.
I also played Deluxe Pacman but not as much as Deluxe Galaga, I did hear he was dead and was sad about it, but long time ago.
Old 19 April 2024, 14:41   #5
Memory Station

Warblade was excellent too. I once got a really good run going where I had maximum armour and good weapons, so it became trivial to survive. That run reached over level 1,000.

I've tried to contact the people who own Edgar's data, but I can't find who they are or how to contact them. I emailed the various email addresses at the Warblade websites before, but never got a reply. Someone should let them know that nowadays it's very easy to sell a game on Steam or Itch.io. Certainly at least a few people would buy Warblade if it was available at those marketplaces. Does it still run on modern PCs?

Edit: hitm4n mentioned that the people who own Edgar's data and the rights to it are his former work colleagues. Any idea who they are, or what company they worked at together?

Last edited by Memory Station; 19 April 2024 at 14:55.
Old 19 April 2024, 17:56   #6
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Station View Post
Warblade was excellent too. I once got a really good run going where I had maximum armour and good weapons, so it became trivial to survive. That run reached over level 1,000.

I've tried to contact the people who own Edgar's data, but I can't find who they are or how to contact them. I emailed the various email addresses at the Warblade websites before, but never got a reply. Someone should let them know that nowadays it's very easy to sell a game on Steam or Itch.io. Certainly at least a few people would buy Warblade if it was available at those marketplaces. Does it still run on modern PCs?

Edit: hitm4n mentioned that the people who own Edgar's data and the rights to it are his former work colleagues. Any idea who they are, or what company they worked at together?

The company Ed worked at was in Norway and was called "Datapart". Don't know if that was an English translation of the name of the Norwegian name or not. I don't know the guys names who bought the rights either, i've had no contact. Sorry. Also, Edgar left Datapart many years before his death.