Is this dead now?
Just when I got a Pi B+!
Old 10 October 2014, 11:28   #184
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Is this dead now?
The Gotek price is pretty much unbeatable and it's functionality is reasonable.

Always nice to have a second source though, especially as the Cortex Amiga Floppy Emulator (Gotek) is closed source.
Old 10 October 2014, 19:22   #185
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The Gotek price is pretty much unbeatable and it's functionality is reasonable.

Always nice to have a second source though, especially as the Cortex Amiga Floppy Emulator (Gotek) is closed source.
I think everyone knows Gotek by now... this is a thread for Amiga PI Drive emulator so ....

I hope it is not dead... would be nice to get the latest firmware update with sub-directories selector... but even without that I think it is better than Gotek
Old 07 November 2014, 10:14   #186
tomcat666
Retro Freak

If this is not gonna be developed anymore - would it be possible to get the sources so we can modify/expand on it ourselves ???
Old 07 November 2014, 22:27   #187
Derek

The last entries of significance are from Feb/March. It would be nice to know if this is still a project or if it is abandoned. Kipper appeared to have ordered some boards, but i didn't see if he got them and worked on them or if he cancelled/decided to stop development.
Old 19 January 2015, 00:24   #188
The Mutt

Can the adf files be on a USB stick, I've set up my RPi B+ so the network and 4 USB sockets stick out the back of my Amiga 4000.

Is there a link or something for the code to add Amiga Drive commands to Raspian or similar, I want to dual purpose the RPi with Amiga Drive interface and a USB to RS232 cable through a Null Modem for internet and the home server, I know the RPi will take longer to load, not a problem as I will be using a separate power source, I also know that floppy emulation is CPU intense, also not a problem as the Floppy side and the Internet would both be occasional use.

FYI: I've recently unearthed one of my Amiga computers (A4000 with OpalVision, Emplant and GVP 8MB/SCSI card), my multisysnc monitor died a few years back, I now have a GBS 8220 card and am waiting on a 4GB CF card to set up as hard drive.
Glenn

Old 26 September 2015, 16:49   #189
jkp

Is this project totally dead? If it is, could you release the source code for others to work on? I'd love to spend some time on it.

I have a few questions, that i hope someone can answer.

1. I use the firmware from the official webpage. I have tried to copy a few disks from a "real" df1 floppy drive to the rpi drive. In the menu, I insert xcopy and a blank disc. When I have finished copying, I have xcopy and the new disk in the drive. Does this mean that I have to reboot every time I have copied a disk (or 3 disks, if I insert xcopy and 3 blanks)?

2. I have 1 disk, that when I press the save button, I get an "empty disk.mfm" file, instead of .adf. Why is that?

3. I have tried to use the firmware linked here, with support for display. I am using an rpi model A+. If the HDMI cable is plugged in, AFTER the rpi is powered, everything works fine, but if I the HDMI cable is plugged in, when I power the rpi, there is no display and it doesn't come back on if I unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Is this an rpi A+ thing or is it the same with earlier models?
Old 26 September 2015, 17:15   #190
Bastich

I would also be interested in using my redundant Pi on my A4000. It's that our a Gotek
Old 27 September 2015, 13:47   #191
The Mutt

Keep us in the loop jkp, I have built the interface but had very little time to hook it up, I'm interested in the outcome of your problem.

Cheers
Glenn

Old 28 September 2015, 20:58   #192
jkp

So far, I think I will use the interface as it is, for the purpose of ripping my old floppies. If I can't get hold of the source code for the firmware to make the changes I need, I am tempted to write my own firmware. It's just a sad waste of time to reimplement something that works well.

Bonus question. If I load multiple drives with multiple disks, what happens when I press the diskchange command. Will it change disk in all the drives?
Old 29 September 2015, 19:51   #193
jkp

What I have learned so far is, that if you are unsure if the disk is a real dos disk, press the name button in XCopy. If it says that the disk is not a dos disk, format the empty disk (real format, not qformat) and press the save button on the pidrive thingy. This is very important. Otherwise, the disk will just be called Empty Disk.adf and be overwritten next time you have the same situation.
Old 29 September 2015, 19:54   #194
jkp

Correction. The button is called Disk Info
Old 26 November 2015, 21:10   #195
Franchute13

new live for this project?!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/
Old 27 November 2015, 11:40   #196
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I tried contacting Maurizio Ramundo about releasing the sources for the firmware so someone else could continue but cannot find a correct email. Maybe someone else will have more luck. Would be a shame if this was forgotten ...
Old 13 April 2016, 22:35   #197
Amiga1992

Bumping this thread.
Is this project dead? It would be a shame.

Now we have the Raspberry Pi Zero which is super small and would be excellent to use as this. I have two lying around and would love to make a floppy emu out of one of them. At $5 each it's a "Gotek killer" deal.

Hopefully someone can pick up on this project
Old 14 April 2016, 17:55   #198
ptyerman

Yeah, I would prefer this over the Gotek any day! There doesn't seem to be any action/news or updates though, so it is probably safest to presume it has been shelved and forgoten.
A real shame!
Old 14 April 2016, 18:13   #199
Amiga1992

This is the kinda shit where making sources publicly available is for everyone's benefit.

Why do people disappear from the face of the earth with projects like this, I don't know. But personally, if I know I am not gonna work on something and I know it can be bettered and completed, I'll let it out in the wild for people to continue.

Old 14 April 2016, 18:21   #200
ptyerman

It did show some promise that's for sure! Perhaps some brilliant coder could even have expanded it so the Pi did even more, such as networking ect.
Whatever the result, it would be nice to have the sources released.