English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 February 2003, 18:12   #1
MethodGit

Why does the screen only center properly in OpenGL mode?

Throughout the various versions of WinUAE I've noticed how the screen is never centred properly, even with both centering options ticked. It's positioned so that you can't see the top black border during a game, or the general top blank border in WB. Also, on some games/demos, when there are sequences (such as in credits) where a graphic is displayed in the middle, it instead gets shown at the top of the screen (not like a real Amiga, then). Plus this graphic bug also affects that trick in CLI startup where the big window throws itself down and comes back up again with new stuff written in it (like in some coverdisks). Instead of showing it like it would on a real Amiga, it makes it look like it's burrowing down and shaking the screen a little bit.

Funnily enough, the graphics bugs only disappear if I use the OpenGL mode. That mode's nice and all, but I was wondering why you can't use those sliders and get the proper graphic procedures in normal mode as well???
Old 20 February 2003, 18:43   #2
RCK
Administrator

resizing graphics (zoom & shrink) is much much more easier in opengl
Old 21 February 2003, 14:41   #3
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
RCK - i fear that the problem is not that OpenGl do resize and shrink The problem is, that OpenGL code is better, when come to this centering and the old code need a little update, i fear...

...example? Overkill AGA. WinUAE (even W/O WHDload ) cut its gfx from left, about 20pixels.
I dont managed to fix it into any way
It just cut the GFX
So, i have to search on net for screengrab, hmmm

Toni, could you please take a look at it?
Old 21 February 2003, 18:14   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by trodas
The problem is, that OpenGL code is better.
No, it isn't. OpenGL works worse than normal DirectDraw.
Quote:
cut its gfx from left, about 20pixels.
I dont managed to fix it into any way
It just cut the GFX
You have to properly configure the resolution. This has been mentioned before (with Settlers).
Old 21 February 2003, 19:35   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
The problem is, that OpenGL code is better, when come to this centering and the old code need a little update, i fear...
Old code DOES need a little update, that's what I've been preaching for months. But Bernd doesn't want to know anything anymore about his "baby" he once created. It's a shame!

Quote:
...example? Overkill AGA. WinUAE (even W/O WHDload ) cut its gfx from left, about 20pixels.
correct...

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
You have to properly configure the resolution. This has been mentioned before (with Settlers).
Forget it, this is fruitless!
Kludging and plastering things is really nonsense if the problem is to be found INSIDE the code!

Quote:
Toni, could you please take a look at it?
Unlikely, because he doesn't (yet) understand this code so well (it's Bernd Schmidt's code who -- since months -- refuses to fix it because he thinks it's not important! That's what he told me! You are at least the tenth guy to report this centering issue, so it's definitely more important than some OS 3.9 fixes or other stuff! )
And he just thinks you can just use a 640x480 / 640x512 mode instead and be happy with it! But even with a mode created with PowerStrip (768x576, for example) THERE IS NO WAY to get rid of this annoying border, unless you use OpenGL!
768x576 uncentered works fine, but I too want this damn picture in the MIDDLE and not anywhere else! Bernd, get out of your lazy bed, quit from your lethargy and fix it!

Last edited by andreas; 21 February 2003 at 19:46.
Old 21 February 2003, 21:33   #6
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
andreas - thx for pointing out the real problem
Heheh, so, Berndt, right? Well, OS 3.9 issued bothering me also very much, but first things first - and display code must work first. Then we can talk about poor performace on OS 3.9 and such things...
Give me a email - or come he there? ...and i convice him to consider this as important
Old 21 February 2003, 23:56   #7
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Give me a email - or come he there? ...and i convice him to consider this as important
It would be stupid to spam him, no ?
Old 22 February 2003, 14:30   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

agree *nods*
Old 22 February 2003, 15:18   #9
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Big grin

I dont want to spam him, i want to convince him
Old 27 February 2003, 15:41   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Kludging and plastering things is really nonsense if the problem is to be found INSIDE the code!

Unlikely, because he doesn't (yet) understand this code so well (it's Bernd Schmidt's code who -- since months -- refuses to fix it because he thinks it's not important! That's what he told me!
What is the code you speak of andreas? I might have a little peak at it and see if anything makes sense. It probably won't but still. Is the file you're talking about svga.c or another one?
Old 27 February 2003, 18:33   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

drawing.c
Old 27 February 2003, 23:44   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

yup