English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 February 2024, 21:24   #21
amigakit.com

@Bren_McGuire

Quote:
no operating system development going on here "Amibench" is nothing but a fancied up old classic Workbench
There is about 7 years of development done here for our our system components. We certainly cannot include an "old classic Workbench" as we dont have a licence for that. Therefore we only include our own software, AmiBench.

Last edited by amigakit.com; 13 February 2024 at 21:39.
Old 13 February 2024, 22:26   #22
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
Obviously it's not to the taste of everybody on this site & SHOCK, HORROR not everybody thinks the same way, or has an Amiga or wants to fuk about setting up emulators, hunting for roms or pirating software.

The500mini seems to have carved it own niche & the fact that people are hacking the thing to run the os would seem to suggest people want a box with the os & software available as well as the games.

For people who no longer own an Amiga & want to get back into it, straight out of the box, with a slightly more modern OS & perhaps dip into workbench & have a play with some apps, without the headache of finding an overpriced Amiga, then having to upgrade it & find software, it seems like a pretty good platform.
Some people just want to consume things. Some consume Amigas and hardware expansions they don’t need, some people consume Raspberry Pi clones running UAE at silly prices because it’s more fun to consume than to, you know, just run UAE on the computer you already have.
Old 13 February 2024, 22:47   #23
kriz

The lack of technical details i am missing, also about the AmigaOs they are using https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/AmiBench solution deserves more facts and content..
Old 13 February 2024, 22:54   #24
Deaths_Head

@amigakit.com

Thanks for clearing that up I thought I read somewhere about the enhancer stuff & the system software, just couldn't remember where.

Well I'm interested in it. So I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Old 13 February 2024, 23:00   #25
Dunny

Is there any chance that you could install magicwb on it? It would be nice if it looked like an amiga workbench.
Old 13 February 2024, 23:01   #26
Deaths_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Some people just want to consume things. Some consume Amigas and hardware expansions they don’t need, some people consume Raspberry Pi clones running UAE at silly prices because it’s more fun to consume than to, you know, just run UAE on the computer you already have.

Quite...
Old 13 February 2024, 23:22   #27
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Is there any chance that you could install magicwb on it? It would be nice if it looked like an amiga workbench.
You can install MagicWB right now, on the Amiga you own. No need to wait, no need to buy things.
Old 13 February 2024, 23:56   #28
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
You can install MagicWB right now, on the Amiga you own. No need to wait, no need to buy things.
Oh I already have. I need to know if it will work on this thing because that will make it more of an amiga than what it looks like it is now.
Old 14 February 2024, 02:50   #29
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
AmiBench incorportates many components we developed over the last several years for A-EON's Enhancer Software for OS4.
OS3 Enhancer was already announced 7 years ago (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82644) but was never released, and now if we want it we need to buy this machine? System components need to be widely available or developers will not bother supporting them so this tying arrangement seems very odd. Also it seems there are only three classes included anyway, which are reimplementations of what exists already, whereas the OS4 version has many more, eg. components like piechart.gadget that would add real functionality to an OS3 system.

Last edited by Minuous; 14 February 2024 at 04:36.
Old 14 February 2024, 15:19   #30
Solskogen

Would it be possible to get AmiBench without buying the device? Free or not.
Old 14 February 2024, 17:30   #31
gkb

To add my thoughts, I have been looking for an Amiga system, and options such at reconditioned original Amigas, the AmigaONE line ,the MiniMig, and the MISTerFPGA are all very impressive – BUT – they are not cheap.

Even taking a “budget” approach of buying a raspberry pi for the hardware and then buying the Amiga forever CD and/or the Amiga OS CD for the software would not give much change from £200. There is also the time needed to set the thing up.

The A500 mini is good, but it is geared towards just running the games.

The A600GS could fill the existing gap in the market for a system that is competitive in its pricing, easy to set up, runs the games, and offers a capable and modern workbench in Amibench.

If Amibench has applications such as a Web browser, E-mail client, a player for videos (E.G MP4) ,a player for audio (E.G MP3), then the A600GS would be a straight replacement for the old PC I currently use for my leisure computing - and I would certainly get one.

The online app store could be a catalyst for further development of Amiga software as well.

I will be tracking this project with interest, and I wish it every success.
Old 14 February 2024, 17:35   #32
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi there!

I totally agree with GKB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
I will be tracking this project with interest, and I wish it every success.
+1

Cheers!
Old 30 March 2024, 09:28   #33
Twiggy
\m/

Looks quite interesting. Just wish it came out before or around the same time as the Mini, would have probably favoured this.
Old 14 April 2024, 15:09   #34
amigakit.com

Development of AmiBench for the A600GS continues.

The new Clock utility added this week with a wide range of skins/themes and sizes which can be selected

a600gs.com
Old 14 April 2024, 19:27   #35
Pyromania

The clock is right on time!
Old 21 April 2024, 21:33   #36
amigakit.com

Latest work last week was on updating Personal Paint for the A600GS (news item coming this week)

AmiBench has also been updated with a new Picture Datatype 46.13 introducing HAM support.

WBStartup drawer renamed to simply StartUp drawer as we are running AmiBench and not Workbench

Here is a sneak peak at the new PPaint update showing 1080p and 4K screenmodes available:

Old 01 May 2024, 19:40   #37
amigakit.com

Development work on the public release of AmiBench V46.1 is coming to a conclusion in time for the soon to be released A600GS computer. The latest program to be backported from the Enhancer Software to the A600GS is the Calendar app. The Calendar is fully skinnable with 20 themes provided.

For the programmers out there, It uses the Shared Image Class, now accelerated by the ARM Graphics Library

a600gs.com
Old 04 May 2024, 00:28   #38
cookieninja

The calendar and clock like that seems kind of retro (in a terrible way), back when huge widgets on a desktop was supposed to be the next big thing ... except it wasn't. Why not just the regular workbench look with a screen title bar and the date/time in the middle or right hand side? I don't really want a calendar on my Amiga unless it can integrate with Google and similar web-based calendar systems

Something really useful that, for me, is missing is audio volume slider, that also could only fit into the title bar ... or if it was just controlled via keyboard combos or volume keys on a modern keyboard that would be really nifty too. Obviously it wouldn't work on a real Amiga but these hardware/software emulators certainly could make use of them
Old 04 May 2024, 10:25   #39
kriz

Morphos have that slider for volume, and agree with the widgets thing, not needed .. Sync with google calender would be needed for it to get some use indeed ..
Old 04 May 2024, 10:39   #40
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

This is starting to look quite interesting, how compatible is the OS with Amiga software, you said that Workbench is not being used so I take it you are using a variant of AROS? Also, will there be official Amiga keyboards with the appropriate Amiga keys etc available? I cannot see any SD card slot on the back, will you be able to bring software and data over via the USB slot or will this just for for the mouse and keyboard?