English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 February 2016, 22:28   #1
Starglider 2

Hardware to get A500+ onto email

Hi Amigos, in my recent post I got info on what software I can access email on with my A500 Plus. Thor or Yam 1.3 basically.

As for hardware, I know I can make a Plipbox using an Arduino. But I have some disconnects in my understanding of how the software and hardware come together.

1. If I connect the Plipbox to my A500+ and run the command on Mac OSX that is discussed on the Plipbox instructions, and install the Amiga driver, is that it? Is the Amiga then "online" and I can simply press Send/Receive on Yam to retrieve emails from the POP server I've set up? Or are there more steps to fool the Amiga/Yam into thinking it's performing a dial up?

2. Are there any other ways to get the A500+ online, perhaps simply using my USBSerial modem cable using a PC running VirtualBox? The same way I currently access Amiga Explorer from Windows to the Amiga. In other words, without a Plipbox, can the Amiga use my PC's internet connection? (I'm not interested in running the internet inside an Amiga terminal or in BBS, only real Amiga based client email on Yam.)

Thanks!
Old 23 February 2016, 22:43   #2
SkulleateR

Loooooong time ago I had my A500+ connected via serial cable to my Windows PeCe and used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) .... only had to set up the PCs IP as Proxy on Amiga Side .....

But remember, it´s REALLY sloooooooooooooooow

Btw, this is the tool I used -> http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/NullTCP
Old 23 February 2016, 23:34   #3
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
Loooooong time ago I had my A500+ connected via serial cable to my Windows PeCe and used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) .... only had to set up the PCs IP as Proxy on Amiga Side .....

But remember, it´s REALLY sloooooooooooooooow

Btw, this is the tool I used -> http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/NullTCP
Interesting. So what would the actual process be?

1. Set up ICS on Windows XP
2. Connect USB to serial cable to Amiga
3. Install the Amiga driver
6. Load Yam and send and receive email

Please complete ;-)
Old 23 February 2016, 23:39   #4
SkulleateR

Sorry, as I said .... looong ago

But I really don´t know if it will work with USB <> SERIAL cable but if you´re able to use Amiga Explorer it should

For everything else download the NullTCP.lha and read the txt file, it´s all described in there
Old 24 February 2016, 02:18   #5
Starglider 2

Really appreciate your help on this. I got part-way through it and realized it's just too complex, too many steps, and the main problem is the text guide is written for Windows 95 and a lot of that has naturally changed in XP and later versions of Windows. Thanks though!

I'm hoping someone might have a simpler solution for using the Amiga Explorer cable to give my A500+ access to the net.
Old 24 February 2016, 18:28   #6
SkulleateR

It´s not THAT complex ... you just have to pick the infos YOU need out of the TXT file ...

Basically these are the steps :

- Nullmodem TCP/IP connection between PC and Amiga
- PC onto the internet
- share the PC connection for the serial connection

Ok, quick ripoff but .....

Would love to test it with my Laptop but I cannot find my old serial cable right now
Old 25 February 2016, 01:42   #7
Starglider 2

Thanks for all your help. I'm getting there... Once I committed to the task, it became fun.

And at least I now have a TCP/IP connection between Windows XP and Amiga! But no Internet sharing yet. Perhaps you can help.

I used the instructions from the NullTCP and the Ami2PC-TCP text files combined. I have installed and am running WinGate 6.x.

But when I try to ping out to any IP address such as 8.8.8.8 I get nothing back.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Starglider 2; 25 February 2016 at 08:03.