English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2002, 22:10   #1
Daff

Unhappy I need help!

Hi all!

I've downloaded WinUAE, a kick31.rom and a game which was packed as a .lha file before I unzipped it.

How do I make that game into an adf file on my PC?

I've read through the FAQ, etc., but the only way I could see how to do it was on my old Amiga which just failed on me about a month ago

Any help would be appreciated...

Old 05 May 2002, 22:28   #2
jmmijo

Well actually you can work on extracting LHA files via an emulated Amiga as well. Here's how:

1) Be sure to rename the kickstart ROM file to kick.rom, place it in the same dir as WinUAE.

2) Find LHA on Aminet, http://us.aminet.net/aminet/util/arc/index.html

3) Find the workbench disks to match the kickstart version, since you have the KS3.1 rom then find WB3.0 or 3.1 disks, these should be in ADF format.

4) Now start WinUAE and point to the kick.rom file in the same dir to work with, then use the F12 key to insert/eject floppy disk images, these are the ADF files you just unzipped, preferably to their own adf folder(s) for easy tracking

You should now be able to load in the LHA runtime, you can use the checkbox to mount the PC drives as well, at the start of loading WinUAE
Old 06 May 2002, 01:19   #3
Daff

ok, now I have WinUAE 0.88-7, Kick31.rom, and Workbench3.1 boot and extras... I've loaded WinUAE, pointed it to the right rom and selected wb31.adf for df0: - everything seems ok but I get this message from AmigaDOS
Quote:
Can't find sysrefs/env-archive
df0:c/assign failed returncode 20
Workbench doesn't load

What have I missed?

Old 06 May 2002, 01:48   #4
oldpx

Your workbench adf may be a bad one, not having that directory at the location it should be etc. but if you can find the adf of the game you really don't need to be bothered with these things. What's the name of the game?

Old 06 May 2002, 02:05   #5
jmmijo

There are a number of different versions of WB3.0 and 3.1 out there. Could be the one I sent you is corrupted since I've not actually tried that version out yet

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good one out there
Old 06 May 2002, 02:05   #6
Daff

I'm looking to play Project X, Arcade Pool, Skid Marks and a few others, but it would still be nice to get WB running

Sorry for being so lame here, but I'm totally new to Emulators...

Old 06 May 2002, 02:08   #7
jmmijo

You will find that all you need to do is to mount the ADF file via the F12 key and browse to that particular game, usually the first disk or the boot disk to play. Sometimes you can mount all the disks in each of the extra drives as well, DF1 - DF3 and sometimes not. Depends on the game and the config you use with WinUAE
Old 06 May 2002, 02:08   #8
Daff

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
There are a number of different versions of WB3.0 and 3.1 out there. Could be the one I sent you is corrupted since I've not actually tried that version out yet

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good one out there
Thanks

Old 06 May 2002, 02:23   #9
oldpx

check www.pe2000.net www.emuchina.net or www.aceroms.com for adf games, if you cannot find something specific after that, just ask here.

Old 06 May 2002, 02:44   #10
Daff

Thanks guys - I think I'll get there in the end