English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 09 February 2011, 19:26   #61
takis76

Flickers?

What video card you have?
I have tested in windows XP and Vista and working well.

I don't have tested in windows seven yet....

Might you have problems with your drivers or try to install directx 9 the last version.

Windows 7 uses DirectX 10 and I don't know if there is any incompatibility between direct x versions and operating systems.

I will try to find some window 7 and I will run the engine there...

I didn't had any problem or flickering...
Old 09 February 2011, 19:28   #62
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The demo works here, but it flickers horribly on Windows 7 X64 and I had to kill the process to close it.
Same here on Vista 32.
Tweaking compatibility preferences of the .EXE didn't solve the problems.

edit:

Vista 32bit, Ati Radeon HD 5700 series (forgot which one), DirectX 11
Old 09 February 2011, 19:35   #63
takis76

I will compile other version or I will send you other engine demo... from other language , I have a lots of versions

Strange , why everything works fine here?
Old 09 February 2011, 19:39   #64
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just had a quick look at work, so I will post the info about the system tomorrow.
Old 09 February 2011, 20:12   #65
takis76

Try this one?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/he51kh

Is little older , wall engine only , doors and levers doesn't work yet (in this version) , I uploaded it to see if it flicking. (This was created with Darkbasic).
The next version will be better , you will be my system and game testers

The previous one was created with c++ and it needs compile again and change to graphic functions... sucks...

I will work with darkbasic version...

Look and tell me , and when I create some new I will upload again...

Last edited by takis76; 09 February 2011 at 20:18.
Old 09 February 2011, 20:57   #66
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by takis76 View Post
Runtime error 51: image missing at line 2351
Old 09 February 2011, 21:09   #67
takis76

Why my stupid engine is not working in other computers?

Grrrrrrr

Guys if someone of you , have windows xp only try to run the engine and then I will see if the operating system is the problem.

Try this again:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dqrxq

If this will work in other operating systems than XP , I thing I found the problem....

I updated the file...

Last edited by takis76; 09 February 2011 at 22:00.
Old 10 February 2011, 04:41   #68
Lord Riton

Quote:

Try this again:

If this will work in other operating systems than XP , I thing I found the problem....

I updated the file...
It works for me I'm on Windows Vista 32bit

to bad it's a bit an empty map, and no monsters
Old 10 February 2011, 10:41   #69
Marcuz

It works; switching to and from windows, though, with ALT+TAB breaks the program (runtime error 502, image not existing at line 2351)

I believe that it is correct that you cannot interact with anything, right? it's just a wander around demo? the wallset looks perfectly implemented. Where does it come from? Lands of Lore? That pavement is beautiful.

Anyway: I don't like much the woody backdrop, and the encumbers.
Since you are on PC and there a lot of space unused, you could drop the NTSC-like proportions and go for full screen, possibly doubling the sizes for the world view window, and maybe centering it.
If you'd like me to, if you would consider some alternatives, I would make some mock up for a backdrop tonite.
Also I would suggest that you consider windows scalability like Winuae does in fullwindow mode, so that you can input your own preferred resolution and have the frame doubled or triplicated etc.

BTW: very good work on the movement on the engine, it is more fluid and consistent than other tries I have seen in the years!
Old 10 February 2011, 10:57   #70
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

'MSVCR71.dll' is missing.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:58   #71
kriz

This runs fine now, nice preview. (WinXp machine)

Quote:

Grrrrrrr

Guys if someone of you , have windows xp only try to run the engine and then I will see if the operating system is the problem.

Try this again:

I updated the file...
Old 10 February 2011, 11:05   #72
takis76

Ok guys now try to run the same file and in windows Vista and Windows 7.

If work there too , the problem was in my screen resolution. It was 640x400 and I changed it to 640x480 and I will make some changes in interface...

Some video cards does not support 640x400 resolution...

This is a test engine , there are better engines and newer versions...
Old 10 February 2011, 12:23   #73
takis76

I fixed the dll , I am trying to fix ALT+TAB Switching problem...
I will inform when the update will be out...
Old 10 February 2011, 18:06   #74
takis76

Good news another test engine.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mgu15v

ALT+TAB Working
Screen doesn't flicking

I keep my original screen resolution

All dlls included no dll is missing.

Simple wall engine... see and test it in Windows XP - VSTA - 7

@Marcuz

I fixed the switching between game and windows..
About my texture background (I will remove my ark corners from world window if you don't like) or I will put a special option.

And my woody background I choose this and fits very well with my stone character panel in my interface.
I will put and other backgrounds to see if you like it....

The backdrop is from lands of lore , but there are many mixes of this...

Download and tell me if you had any problem in your computers.... This will be the engine I will use in the game...

Graphics are easy to be changed...
Old 10 February 2011, 20:37   #75
Marcuz

It works perfectly.

I have a couple of suggestions for the input though:
- bind the "step back" movement to key "5" instead of key "2" in the keypad, for ease of use;
- make the pressing of the movement keys register continuous inputs when a key is hold down, as in the original EoB.

I appreciate the screen being fully used now, that's great.

About the rest: i understand your preferences on the interface, i'm just saying that it could be more practical than it is in this incarnation: consider that you have extrapolated it from a game that had it built it around its logics and needs which are kinda strict and were outdated already when Land of Lore came out (for instance its idiotic implementation of inventory)
The problem was not the quality of the graphic, imho, but the ergonomics of the gameplay.
All I'm sayin' is it could be better, and if you like, I could make some improvement there. If you are interested, let me know how will be utilized the spaces in the interface, and I'll have a look at possible encoumberings and solutions.
Old 10 February 2011, 22:00   #76
takis76

It will be very interesting if we utilize my spaces , but there are and other gadgets on interface that you cant see , here , I will create a pseudo screen to present all gadgets I have in my mind and what you will see , if my game was ready today...

Are you able to create graphics?

I have a lot of patience with pixel art work... I can transform all old original eob graphics with totaly new graphics. The door you see in screenshots and soon will see it in my game was created almost from scratch , and the blade trap was created almost from scratch frame to frame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W011-04.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	27874  
Old 11 February 2011, 00:45   #77
Marcuz

Quote:
It will be very interesting if we utilize my spaces , but there are and other gadgets on interface that you cant see , here , I will create a pseudo screen to present all gadgets I have in my mind and what you will see , if my game was ready today...

Are you able to create graphics?

I have a lot of patience with pixel art work... I can transform all old original eob graphics with totaly new graphics. The door you see in screenshots and soon will see it in my game was created almost from scratch , and the blade trap was created almost from scratch frame to frame...
I started a project for a EoB kind of game some years ago, that was stranded by the amount of work necessary to produce new wallsets by hand plus the lack of code suiting my purposes: i don't code at all, and the other people interested had the lack of time to go on.

The result is 2 interfaces, a mostly finished wallset and a lot of new character portraits all in the - to me - amazing constrainted palette of 16 colors that could go along an EoB 1.

you can look here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41603
for some results (there are images here and there in the thread).

I would gladly help you with static work, and rehauling of Beholder stuff, I could not produce new from scratch wallsets beyond this one I had, because it is simply too much work, and I'm crap at pixel art animation. The rest of graphic work is instead a joy to do
Old 11 February 2011, 00:47   #78
Lord Riton

The demo is working well for me, but is it normal that there is just some BIG hall with nothing in it ? i can only find normal walls all arround that big Hall, nothing else.

I miss a little the arrow keys on the screen, i always used the mouse with them to move arround in such games (Dungeon master, Blackcrypt, Captive, Bloodwych,...Eye of the Beholder too of course )
Old 11 February 2011, 01:10   #79
kriz

Cool to see those pictures again Markuz, they really cool, if used.. woow..
Old 11 February 2011, 02:08   #80
takis76

@Lord Riton

Yes you see a big hall , because this is a test engine , I have ready made doors , levers , stairs , and I can create and labyrinth , also , I can create moving objects and user interactive , press buttons , door opens and closes with press of a button , illusion walls , decors , furnutures , traps , moving monsters and even complete inventory system. (This was a starting point , how to configure my engine and be compatible and with other computers , without dll missing , flicking and crashing when you press ALT+TAB)

All the time , I was tested my engine in my computer only and I didn't know what problems will appear when someone tries to play in other computers.

So I solved this problem...

I am improving my engine 10 yeats

I started my early stages of my game in Quickbasic 4.5 (I have to say this language is total useless)

I will post and other version with more gadgets and toys...

My engine is 60% complete , one problem I always had , was , when I need to put infinity items on the floor , I didn't know how to program dynamic arrays....

About direction arrows , yes are missing from my interface , if you want them , I will put them again , but I haven't deside how big will be and where do I put them... When I was played Eye of the beholder , I never used these arrows.

@Marcus
I saw your articles and your graphics , I saw and your mummy , as I see , you can draw. About wall sets , I will use all from Eob 1-2-3 and Dungeon Hack , Dungeon Master 1-2 and Lands of Lore 1 and I will create and alots of mixes.

About monsters , we have All monsters from Eobs and Lands of Lore.
Might I will borrow and from Heretic and Hexen and Doom.

It would be nice to create buildings for me , (If you want and if you are not boring) , Some castle , some tower , I can create Buildings with 3D Studio , I have enough knowledge in 3D Studio max to create nice castles , or nice static pics , (Remember some Dracula adventures).

My game will not be only a dungeon crawler rpg , it will be and adventure too , for example when you finish some quest or after you travel after a long dungeons and corridors , you will arrive in some hall , temple , or some room , or some place which need to solve some puzzle , remember (MYST) , or if you need to hack some keyhole , you will see the mechanism of keylock and you must pick it...

If you can create some building , for example some inn , or some bar , or some house , in few words , any graphic is welcome.

I want to keep the Eye of the Beholder like flavor and I don't want to change it. I will present you one new interface soon , if my wood background dont like it...

About backwards key , I never used 5 in Eye of the Beholder series , this was in Dungeon Master only , if you want it , I will make it use both for backwards move , 5 and 2.

If any of you , used a special shortcut key , tell me and I will make it compatible for all people...

One key I remember was space for all attack in Eye of the Beholder 3.

Now I am working for changing the appearance of my interface , removing my corner arks in my world window and changing my woody background texture...

when next version will be ready , I will upload the new file...

Have a nice day...