English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 31 August 2018, 23:25   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Please stop prune on off topic

It is really not funny that stuff gets removed and you actually promote spamming just in order to keep topic afloat.

Is space really that expensive now???
Old 31 August 2018, 23:29   #2
plasmab
Banned

+1

I'm getting tired of being unable to respond to comments when mods decide they're off topic. Considering no longer bothering to participate.. perhaps go over to exxosuk's forum.
Old 31 August 2018, 23:39   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
It is really not funny that stuff gets removed and you actually promote spamming just in order to keep topic afloat.

Is space really that expensive now???
What exactly are you talking about Anubis; examples please?
Old 01 September 2018, 00:25   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
+1
I'm getting tired of being unable to respond to comments when mods decide they're off topic. Considering no longer bothering to participate.. perhaps go over to exxosuk's forum.
plasmab; I assume your post is in relation to my comments in the Estimation on size of the Amiga scene thread?

I really hate having to repeat myself but it seems necessary in this case since you've brought it up again...

My comments weren't directed at you specifically, but everyone that kept banging on about hardware only (plus desired wish lists) and turning the thread in that direction.

As I said last night, these comments were "off topic" in relation to mcgeezer's thread / question about the "Estimation on size of the Amiga scene" in regards to what he meant i.e:

... 1st post
... Follow-up explanation
Old 01 September 2018, 04:50   #5
grelbfarlk

I think wherever the discussion goes, it goes. But when a thread gets derailed, it's kind of important that people counter stupid or wrong points when they come up. Otherwise people come back to the same thread later and see uncontested points that may be incorrect or misleading.

I don't have a solution to this other than like me in this thread they delete their posts that went off topic, which is also stupid because now you see people quoting me and not my original posts.

Or just pay attention to the OP and don't go off topic, like I did.
Old 01 September 2018, 17:54   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I don't care about topics being moved to off topic, what really pisses me off is when topic gets deleted after for example 2 months of no activity.

Other day wanted to post something in topic about tv series... and it's not there anymore.
Old 01 September 2018, 18:01   #7
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I don't care about topics being moved to off topic, what really pisses me off is when topic gets deleted after for example 2 months of no activity.

Other day wanted to post something in topic about tv series... and it's not there anymore.
+1 I dont mind things getting moved to their own topic. I'm absolutely cool with that.
Old 01 September 2018, 18:19   #8
ross
Defendit numerus

I would not disturb your meeting, but you are talking about two completely different things.
Anubis about the OffTopic section general rules.
plasmab about off topic derail on standard thread.

Sorry for the OT
Old 01 September 2018, 18:28   #9
meynaf
son of 68k

This forum is about Amiga, it's not social network.
That threads in OT area are pruned is perfectly fine for me. If it annoys you... don't post there.
(Of course, same for topic derail. Perfectly ok for me.)
Old 01 September 2018, 19:18   #10
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
This forum is about Amiga, it's not social network.
That threads in OT area are pruned is perfectly fine for me. If it annoys you... don't post there.
(Of course, same for topic derail. Perfectly ok for me.)
Things can drift off topic... then randomly a mod decides when things go off topic. Either enforce the rules or dont. It seems to be very selective about when and who gets pruned.
Old 01 September 2018, 19:30   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Things can drift off topic... then randomly a mod decides when things go off topic. Either enforce the rules or dont. It seems to be very selective about when and who gets pruned.
Perhaps they emit warnings before pruning anything.
Old 02 September 2018, 18:37   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

There is just no simple reason they can't stack and be there, so if you look for somehting, it is still there...

It just does not help with my senility... looking for stuff I know was there... and poof it's not there anymore...
Old 02 September 2018, 19:01   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

The rules were brought in when it became a bit of a joke, to be honest I was probably as much a culpret as anyone else in the early years. I don't really have a problem with it these days.

I would suggest if a thread hasn't had a post in 2 months, no one really cares about it so why just keep it for posperity? It's adding no value, no one is particiapating.

Maybe we can ask RCK to increase the time limit on the sections of OT that won't just contain "funny" posts to 6 months, the same as the technical forum, but you will see across the internet on special interest boards such as these, off topic is not kept indefinately.

As for Plasmab complaint, I don't think anyone really cares if something goes off topic, but when the discussion goes down the path of several other threads already going on the subject, it does need management.

Personally I am a fan of the spliting of the topic when it gets so far off topic as the thread in question did, but many people won't like that either. Of course you are entirely free to create a thread yourself on the very subject that has arisen and continue to discuss it while on topic to your hearts content.

Every thread that starts about apples, cannot end being about potatoes.
Old 03 September 2018, 04:52   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Ian,

Most forums have general discussion forums, and they don't prune topics of those. Name itself is kind of wrong here... We should have trash sub forum where colored accounts would place appropriate discussions, but not everything in what we on eab call off topic is junk by default...
Old 03 September 2018, 14:45   #15
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I would suggest if a thread hasn't had a post in 2 months, no one really cares about it so why just keep it for posperity? It's adding no value, no one is particiapating.
I agree if you are talking about threads which contain only the initial thread and no answers.

All other threads IMHO are worth keeping - even if there hadn't been a post in two months. They often contain valuable information which otherwise would be lost.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:33   #16
Daedalus

*Thread moved to Off-topic*

Old 18 September 2018, 17:13   #17
desiv

Just my generic $0.000002.
I generally really enjoy the fact that these forums are moderated actively.
I have been on plenty of forums with no (or virtually none) moderation and those generally become a pain...

Not saying our mods are perfect, but I really appreciate a well moderated forum.

Thanx!

desiv
Old 18 September 2018, 17:52   #18
DH
Global Moderator

IIRC, if a thread is so important and is generally worth keeping, it can be stickied, which prevents the pruning of that thread.

I'm not 100% sure though, but I do believe this is the case. however, this is something for the GM's to decide on and to discuss with the O/P.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:33   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
IIRC, if a thread is so important and is generally worth keeping, it can be stickied, which prevents the pruning of that thread.
Shhhhh DH; don't tell my friend Anubutt this... next thing he'll be asking for all OT threads to be made sticky
Old 19 September 2018, 16:03   #20
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Shit will get / already is sticky....

Just stop prune and create trash for off topic area. General discussion not game related is not off topic by default.