English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 May 2013, 23:39   #41
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
that's pretty much what i was thinking of providing. I've got god only knows how many jiffy bags that i can recycle and cardboard boxes that can be cut to sizes suitable for larger orders not to mention several thousand disks that will likely only end up in the bin if not recycled as wifey-to-be is intent on making me cut down my amiga disk footprint (even though she's got a room piled to the ceiling with her crap from our last house move) I'd pretty much only wanna charge for the postage, and maybe a little bit for the time spent hair drying off labels, putting the data on and verifying it's all good (is 10p too cheap? lol)
lol no need to go to that trouble! All we're doing is providing an individual a means to either start doing their own things on the Amiga, so once they're set up, they'll have the ability to make their disk covers hehe. BTW, I've just realised I've got 2 x external floppy disk drives and 1 x external CD drive in storage too! I suppose, even if my A600 HD doesn't work, I could use DF0: for workbench and DF1/DF2 for writing!
Old 02 May 2013, 00:06   #42
demolition
Unregistered User

It's the old 'give a man a fish' vs. 'teach a man to fish'.. I will do it to help people crack the nut of being able to transfer stuff from the PC to the Amiga by themselves, not giving them various games that they might like to have.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:20   #43
DH
Global Moderator

Basically, a donation which covers the costs of materials and time, but nothing more. Why have I missed this thread :s

I do this already, as I do some charity work, and only request a small donation to cover costs etc. Make it a donation and everyone is/should be happy.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:26   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I think the only thing missing here is an amount for the time per disk Good to see that everybody agrees
Old 02 May 2013, 00:31   #45
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I think the only thing missing here is an amount for the time per disk
Well, I guess that was really just an oversight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The usual conditions are that the cost of the service should cover only the cost of supplying the programs (disk(s), p&p and a reasonable charge for time spent copying, packing and posting the item(s)). Anything more stringent than that is unreasonable and could be challenged, IMHO.
Insert the words "per disk" after the bold text and there you have it.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:34   #46
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think the only thing missing here is an amount for the time per disk Good to see that everybody agrees
I think that all depends on the time spent doing it. If it's just one person once in a while, I wouldn't bother charging anything for the time and materials. If it gets to a point where someone could spend an hour on it every day serving a bunch of people, it's a slightly different situation.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:38   #47
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe just using a term like 'not exceeding 50 pence/60 Euro cent/75 USD per disk' sounds good to everybody?
Old 02 May 2013, 00:44   #48
DH
Global Moderator

That's reasonable if you only buy 10 at a time (Roughly 42 pence/disk from PC world here in the UK), although bulk buying will work out a lot cheaper, but I have no idea if you can buy the disks in bulk these days.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:46   #49
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe just using a term like 'not exceeding 50 pence/60 Euro cent/75 USD per disk' sounds good to everybody?
I should hope so. I trust that anyone here offering to help someone get started with their new Amiga in the way we are discussing would not be doing so with a view to making a profit.
Old 02 May 2013, 00:47   #50
DH
Global Moderator

Exactly

btw, just read this 'Jan 30, 2007 – The 3.5in floppy diskette is to be cleared from the shelves of PC World' 6 years later they're still on the shelves lol

Edit: So in reality, as the floppy disk is in serious decline, how long will we have left before they can't be obtained. In all honesty, when you start to think about that, this service may only be able to last 10 years at most, even less in other parts of the world, unless you buy a lockup and cram it with billions of floppies

Last edited by DH; 02 May 2013 at 00:56.
Old 02 May 2013, 01:15   #51
lesta_smsc

Re: Floppy Disk Write/Delivery Service

Most people are able to get their own disks. There are lots of cover disks but as we've seen from time to time on forum people are still without a few essentials to open the door to Amiga heaven.

I'm glad everyone is seeing the good side to this. Believe you or me, selling these disks is hardly going to be achieving profits lol.

More pleased that mods in agreement too.

Currency trying to source disks. I might give in to HD disks as DD is very expensive and I assume the only benrfit for proper DD disks would be to make better use of the tracks which is likely onky required for games rather than software?
Old 03 May 2013, 00:10   #52
lesta_smsc

May be in luck with a source of disks! Unfortunately, it seems they might be HD rather than DD. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers!

diablo - check PM as I have someone in Northampton with disks too which you can collect (might be lucky and have DD disks in that lot!)
Old 03 May 2013, 08:31   #53
diablothe2nd

i'm trying to reduce my disk collection, not increase it!
Old 03 May 2013, 23:40   #54
lesta_smsc

Getting a box load of floppy disks this weekend. I hope some of these are 720k!
Old 01 June 2013, 20:17   #55
lesta_smsc

Re: Floppy Disk Write/Delivery Service

Ok folks. Will soon (hopefully) be in possession of an Amiga to provide this service. Also getting box load of disks so will see what people would like as might sell the original boxed games that come with it. Watch this space... lol
Old 29 November 2018, 01:23   #56
lesta_smsc

Sorry to revive this old thread but just wondering if this is something still of interest. I have a very large collection of DD that I'm happy to overwrite - these have various games or utils.

Along with that I have nearly 400 plus original software/games disks which i unfortunately did not keep boxes for! I'm wondering whether these have resale value given that the disks are in good condition and with copy protection so useful for creating IPF if not already done so.
Old 29 November 2018, 02:47   #57
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Along with that I have nearly 400 plus original software/games disks which i unfortunately did not keep boxes for! I'm wondering whether these have resale value given that the disks are in good condition and with copy protection so useful for creating IPF if not already done so.
Indeed it would be nice to check whether all those original games have been dumped properly for IPF creation. Also, you might probably be able to find buyers for some of the disks as some might have an original that has developed problems and are looking to replace the disks with working ones. It is certainly easier than having to write an IPF to a blank disk with a Kryoflux and then transplant the platter into the old original floppy case.
Old 02 December 2018, 05:39   #58
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Indeed it would be nice to check whether all those original games have been dumped properly for IPF creation. Also, you might probably be able to find buyers for some of the disks as some might have an original that has developed problems and are looking to replace the disks with working ones. It is certainly easier than having to write an IPF to a blank disk with a Kryoflux and then transplant the platter into the old original floppy case.
It'll take me a while but I'll try and collate the list and make a separate thread for it.

There are a lot of PD disks in this collection. I can't guarantee they have any of the existing DATA but if someone wishes me to check a particular disk individually I'll be happyto do so.

With so many disks. Going through each one is unfortunately not possible with the little time I get for this nostalgia lol
Old 18 January 2019, 05:29   #59
locksmith

I'd be happy to assist.

I too would like a source for new DSDD disks as i can not find many good disks to use and buying pot luck disk takes time and few disk from 100s bad floppy disk what are out there
i repair many disks as long as the persons sends the original disks to me to be fixed
i also can backup most anything out there
i know one day all theses site wil be gone and then people of the bigger company's wil charge a fortune to replace or sell you
also... not all disk can be made into adf files to use on other devices
as for disks
i have found disk even they copy or adf to disk have not to work
i have try to start using the downloaded files to make most of my clean set of adf file i want as for use
its all good to see intros but when the games disk need to be just the game
demo disks should be a pd way of getting the demos
i like to have every intro out there for a personal use
i even thought about my own intro on a disk to know maybe after im gone my intro lives on for many years
Ps message if any one has a good source to buy the 3,5 floppy disks
i find that you dont need work bench to use the amiga just need the know how to put a disk together
most disk out there even the pd ones have all you know to have more.. thats on workbench has to offer
well best not bore you any more....
ps if this is against the rules please do what you must..... THE LOCKSMITH

Last edited by locksmith; 18 January 2019 at 05:40.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:48   #60
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
i find that you dont need work bench to use the amiga just need the know how to put a disk together
With 1.3 that might be true, as it really didn't offer much anyway. It's a much different story with the newer operating systems.