English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 August 2013, 05:59   #1
lost_loven

X-Surf 100 must haves!

As the title says. What do you think the X-surf 100 user needs to make full use of the card? (besides adding the usb when comes out) My need and wants is to know what I need for surfing the net, ftp use, chat and any other goodies.
Is my 3.1 Blood Wych install good and fast enough? Should i use 3.9?
Should i buy roadshow or another type tcp/ip stacker? Genesis?
Email , what to use.. I am not looking for a replacement for my pee cee, just want get some sort of a cool experience with it, and pre-download software and have ready when it arrives in sept.
Maybe this thread can help just not me but all new amiga internet users
what do think? I am installing it into a 040 a3k with about 134 megs ram including chip ram. thanks

lost
Old 14 August 2013, 08:46   #2
Jope
-

Interesting question to ask regarding whether a version of Workbench is fast enough. 3.1 is "faster" than 3.9, but in reality that is not the question you should ask. More relevant is your CPU speed, how much RAM you have and whether you have an RTG board or not.

It seems your CPU and RAM are adequate, but you didn't mention whether you had RTG or not. Be aware that when using ECS, apps like iBrowse and even WookieChat are quite slow to use without RTG.

Roadshow is a good TCP/IP stack, but you can make do with Genesis that is included in 3.9 if you don't want to spend money.

Your 040 is basically fast enough for most internet apps, but unfortunately without an RTG board, many of them will have agonizingly slow screen updates.

Check Aminet and try out the different apps.. That's part of the fun. :-)
Old 14 August 2013, 14:38   #3
lost_loven

Sadly no RTG, that will come but that is a far time off unless i can find one cheap. Right now just have a indy ecs installed. Will check that out in its 256 graffiti wb hack and see if browsing has a difference. Will make a 3.9 partition and see how that goes.

I don't mind ftp'ing, actually prefer it. Just spent the last 2 days setting the house up all on one local network. Which is nice now cause i can actually access my 2 terrabyte WD LIVE BOOK (Ethernet) thur the pc parallel solution I have going right now. Will be nice to soon access internet right off migy instead of having to do everything off a pc and then redownload on migy.
Will be having a go with genesis first and see how i make out with that.

What about ftp software. And oh yes the Aminet will get alot more traffic from me soon lol! Is there any mutliplayer (link serial link type games) that can be redirect over a network to be played?
l
ost
Old 14 August 2013, 14:51   #4
Jope
-

I use smbfs to mount samba (windows) shares on the Amiga. Actually it's my primary method of getting data in/out of the networked Amigas.
Old 14 August 2013, 15:04   #5
lost_loven

The x-surf 100 is being shipped with easynet cd, pretty sure that sets up all the shares i think and hope lol. Right now PC2AMIGA works pretty good. Basically how I dumped everything on my amiga. And before that i made a serial link which was so painfully slow. Gonna have to make another video once this is all set up. Can't wait to dump this win98 machine from under my desk and say buh-bye parallel connection

lost
Old 14 August 2013, 15:33   #6
Jope
-

Ah yes, easynet probably does it, yes. I've never bought anything that ships with it, so no personal experience on its merits / shortcomings.
Old 14 August 2013, 20:10   #7
bubbob42

You can use any TCP stack - except Miami 2.x and 3.x which will nearly halve your transfer rates.
Old 14 August 2013, 20:45   #8
lost_loven

isn't Miami DX suppose to be good? I will be tring a few. is there a benchmarking progy i can use to see whats faster? You would think a tcp/ip stacks would all be basically the same in speed .
Old 14 August 2013, 21:06   #9
Jope
-

Miami is easy to use but not very fast. It has anti piracy counter measures built in that really hit the transfer speed.