English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 February 2008, 13:05   #1
Reaper_FBB

Question Returning user - Problem with RGB Out to Scart

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and have a quick question. I have just dug out my old Amiga A500 (bought in 1989) and the 15 boxes of games that I still have and I was going to have a bit of a nostalgia session again. However, when I connect the Amiga to a TV using the RGB Out to Scart connection, I can't get a picture.

On the first TV I tried, it switched automatically to AV once I'd switched on the computer, but I had a black screen. However, I put a game disk in and it loaded successfully since the theme tune was coming from the TV. I still couldn't see a picture though.

I tried it on a different, slightly newer TV and again it switched automatically to the AV channel and this time the screen was still pretty black, but I could see the outline of the hand and disk that you get presented with on turning on the Amiga (I seem to remember that it was a white screen with a blue disk).

Initially, I thought the cable might be damaged, since I couldn't get any picture. However, on trying the second TV, the fact that there is a picture of sorts does make me wonder where the problem lies.

I'm pretty sure that the last time I used this set up was about 4 years ago and I had no problems. Can anyone think of any ideas to try to get me up and running again?

Thanks

Old 22 February 2008, 13:53   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
iirc not all TV SCART sockets take an RGB signal.

The Amiga outputs an RGB signal.... ergo not all TV SCART sockets work with the Amiga
Old 22 February 2008, 14:30   #3
Reaper_FBB

I think this is probably it then... The TVs are extremely old. Thanks for the reply.

Old 22 February 2008, 17:20   #4
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Have you tried connecting phono leads to your Amiga and TV?

They may work - if not it could be an indication of something wrong with your Amiga

Dave G
Old 22 February 2008, 18:22   #5
twizzle

the last time i had this problem, it turned out to be a couple of dry solder joints in the scart socket,
some amiga rgb > scart leads have resistors (might have blown)
worth a look
Old 22 February 2008, 18:37   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Lots of Amiga RGB SCART cables are wired wrong for PIN 16 and PIN 8

Pin 16 needs to be driven to between 1-3 V (1 V nominal)
Pin 8 needs to be driven to 9.5–12 V (12 V nominal)
Old 25 February 2008, 11:34   #7
Reaper_FBB

Further information. I tried the same set up on a newer TV and this time, the screen was all white, although it did seem to be pulsing slightly. I have ordered a new RGB to SCART cable just in case, but until it arrives, does this latest problem indicate anything else in particular? Thanks

Old 25 February 2008, 23:29   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
Have you tried connecting phono leads to your Amiga and TV?

They may work - if not it could be an indication of something wrong with your Amiga

Dave G
Reaper FBB

Have you tried the above yet?

Dave G
Old 26 February 2008, 13:03   #9
Reaper_FBB

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what phono leads look like. What are they and how would they connect on the Amiga and the TV? Also, assuming I connect it up in this way, what would indicate the Amiga is working and what could I expect to see / hear if it was indicating a problem?

Last edited by Reaper_FBB; 26 February 2008 at 13:13.

Old 26 February 2008, 13:44   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_FBB View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what phono leads look like.

Quote:
What are they and how would they connect on the Amiga and the TV?
To connect an A500 to a TV using Phono cables you will need an A520 modulator

Yellow (arbitrary colour) would connect to the A520 (video out) and red and white connect to LEFT/RIGHT audio out on the Amiga.

Quote:
Also, assuming I connect it up in this way, what would indicate the Amiga is working and what could I expect to see / hear if it was indicating a problem?
Nothing?
Old 26 February 2008, 14:20   #11
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

To connect an A500 to a TV using Phono cables you will need an A520 modulator

Yellow (arbitrary colour) would connect to the A520 (video out) and red and white connect to LEFT/RIGHT audio out on the Amiga.

Nothing?
Alexh

That certainly makes it clear what they look like

As Alexh said if they don't work you won't see anything. It could indicate that there's something seriously wrong with your Amiga.

If they work and you see something more than you're currently seeing on your TV then that'll indicate it could be your RGB/Scart lead that's faulty.
Either way it's one step nearer to a solution

Dave G
Old 26 February 2008, 15:14   #12
Reaper_FBB

Thanks everyone... I'll try it and let you know how I get on (although I dont know where my modulator is any more)

Old 26 February 2008, 15:24   #13
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Thanks everyone... I'll try it and let you know how I get on (although I dont know where my modulator is any more)
The modulator will give you colour output through the phono connector.

If you connect to the phono out (left most connector on the rear of your 500 as you look at it from the front) (or looking from the back - the furthest on the right) on your 500 you will get a greyscale display. You'd better double check that it is this one before you plug it in - I'm typing this from memory without a 500 in front of me

Still enough to get one step closer to solving the problem

Dave G

Last edited by davideo; 26 February 2008 at 15:26. Reason: typo
Old 03 March 2008, 14:40   #14
Reaper_FBB

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that the new cable arrived on Friday and now the Amigas work perfectly Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm now going into nostalgia overload mode