English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2012, 18:19   #81
LotusGoblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Ever made a game? Didn't think so. :P

A game with graphics like Gran Turismo would cost a lot of money to make. 3D games in general are much harder than 2D ones.

I think P-J should stick with his current idea, maybe someone with several years experience of making 3D games would take up your idea.
But almost all 3D games cost so much to create them, but that does not mean that 'Lotus IV "should not be created, maybe someone will take seriously the work that needs doing on the fourth installment of the Lotus. What I want to say that PJ can not include in his remake, environments, graphics, the same type of model Lotus, these are part of a history of one of the most beautiful series that have ever been created, I believe that before eventually be created fourth chapter.
Old 05 January 2012, 18:35   #82
Dreedo

Well I don't think anyone here would be willing (or capable) to make a fully fledged 3D racing game, especially one that pays a good enough homage to Lotus. This would probably be something reserved for an AAA company.
Old 05 January 2012, 20:38   #83
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Actually you couldnt make a Lotus IV anyway ...Not without Gremlins Pemission its still licenced under them so an official one would be out of the question...However there not going to worry to much about a remake although " Retro Remakes " insist they do actually contact the developers for permission ....belive that if you want

Besides i think most of us are happy with playing the old classic again the way it was but with bells and whistles added by PJ
Old 05 January 2012, 22:25   #84
wilshy

Late to the thread but excellent work. My personal suggestion would be to keep it as original as possible but with nods to the present day.

Looking forward to the progress.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:46   #85
LotusGoblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Late to the thread but excellent work. My personal suggestion would be to keep it as original as possible but with nods to the present day.

Looking forward to the progress.
From what I understand, you mean that there may be a new Lotus, with the same graphic environment that existed in the first trilogy?
Old 06 January 2012, 11:10   #86
Graham Humphrey

Can you drop the whole Lotus 4 thing from this thread now please. This thread has nothing to do with it. Thanks.
Old 06 January 2012, 11:20   #87
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Could branches in the road be added to take shortcuts or different routes. That would be cool. Or would that be to much of a pain
Old 06 January 2012, 11:25   #88
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Could branches in the road be added to take shortcuts or different routes. That would be cool. Or would that be to much of a pain
That's a tricky one. The trackroutine as it is doesn't cater for that and it'd be a bit of a frig to add it in. Certainly worth a look at some point. I imagine I'd need two separate sets of track data at that point, and somehow to join them up at the end. That in itself would need big changes to make it work

But I'll certainly think more about the logistics of it, it would make multiplayer games much more interesting!

Are there any Amiga games of this type (with the exception of the hideous Chase H.Q) that do this?
Old 06 January 2012, 11:36   #89
Dreedo

Can't help you with the mechanics of it, although I do support the idea.

If you do include collisions in multiplayer, which I imagine you will do, it will get very tricky with 4 (or even 8 if it goes that high) players of similar skill level all sharing the road, overtaking will get extremely frustrating. Adding secondary roads would be great, but as you said, probably difficult.

Best thing to do is focus on things you know you can do I think, trying to do something you aren't ready for yet usually ends up getting you de-motivated.
Old 06 January 2012, 15:28   #90
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

It wasTurbo charge and the driving levels on vendetta on the C64 that made me think of it....Other than that turbo outrun on the pc....but nothing i can think of on the amiga

Like Dreedo says....Do what you know first....We can beat you up later to get the rest done
Old 28 January 2012, 15:02   #91
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Just in case you have forgotten about us P-J, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. Been three weeks since ur last post - I hope you haven't got bored already. Might be helpful to set up a 1 level demo with multiplayer online to see how viable this would be whilst you're busy designing all the millions of old and new levels.

Did you get any further with your plan to find an artist? If not, why not zip a load of trees, bushes and signs together into the Zone so we can all have a go at the refurb?? (yes you'll get x10 types of new trees - some with twigs, some with snow and fairy lights, and also x100 new signs). Enthusiasm on EAB is always is always high; but you might need to keep proding potential contributors.
Old 29 January 2012, 23:53   #92
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Just in case you have forgotten about us P-J, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. Been three weeks since ur last post - I hope you haven't got bored already.
Hell no

I'm just waiting on some graphics-- I enlisted a chap from work to do some updating for me as I decided to bring the res up to 640 x 480 and ask him to update the graphics a little. Here's a sample of what he's done (attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	high-res.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	30465  
Old 29 January 2012, 23:59   #93
Dreedo

Looks pretty decent.

Would really love to see another gameplay video when you get to some form of milestone.
Old 30 January 2012, 00:01   #94
P-J

As soon as he's finished the car animation and a couple of other bits and pieces I'll post it up
Old 30 January 2012, 07:39   #95
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Hell no

I'm just waiting on some graphics-- I enlisted a chap from work to do some updating for me as I decided to bring the res up to 640 x 480 and ask him to update the graphics a little. Here's a sample of what he's done (attached).
Who's driving?? The guy sits on the passenger seat...
Old 30 January 2012, 09:13   #96
P-J

This game was originally developed in the UK where we sit on the right
Old 30 January 2012, 10:00   #97
Dreedo

Indeed, naturally in countries that drive on the left hand side of the road, primarily the UK, Japan, Australia and India, the driver sits on the opposite side to what he would do in other countries.
Old 30 January 2012, 18:10   #98
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Just some useless info on that...i cant confirm if its true or not but apparantly in old england a rider would ride his horse on the left side of a track or to oncoming riders so if requred he could draw his sword comfortably and its been the left side of the road ever since ?

And that ancestors uncles cousin hundreds of years later wrote lotus turbo II.......Just to stay on topic

Last edited by synchro; 30 January 2012 at 19:09.
Old 30 January 2012, 19:33   #99
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

*really* nice work so far. I hope at one point in time you are willing to share some source code so that interested dorks like me can know how it is done I'm especially curious how you did the tracks.
Old 30 January 2012, 23:19   #100
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
*really* nice work so far. I hope at one point in time you are willing to share some source code so that interested dorks like me can know how it is done I'm especially curious how you did the tracks.
Ditto to that - I'd love to see if I can write a lotus/outrun clone in BASIC. Actually, PJ - would you be willing to share some algorithm descriptions, especially regarding road storage and generation? Not source code, just a description of how it's done?

D.