English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 March 2018, 22:48   #1
Kola

CF card nightmare

Hi guys,

WOndering if anyone can help. I bought some parts for my Amiga 1200 years ago and never got around to using them. I only use my Amiga for music making and run octamed. Until the disk broke.

So I thought Ill brek out that CF card reader thingy I bought a while back and download the image of here. Well getting the image was a dodle (thanks) but the rest was not simple.

Maybe I have been soilt by the moden day way, but I though Id download the octamed fil of here, drag and drop it onto the CF card, plonk that into my amiga and off we'd go.

For the life of me I cannot find the image. It shows up inder windows fine. But the Amiga says it isnt there.

Im really not that technical or good with computers other than what I need. So if you need more info to help me sorry I didnt already include it, and please just ask me.

Regards
Old 23 March 2018, 23:01   #2
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

this might be too obvious even for a beginner but you have opted to view all files? depends on your os but right click,window,show, all files on most setups. you might also have more luck transferring the .lha archive then extracting it to the amiga.
Old 23 March 2018, 23:10   #3
Amiga1992

Did you even install the required carddisk device and the fat95 filesystem? Without them, you can't read fat formatted CF cards on the PCMCIA slot (also make sure the card is FAT/FAT32 formatted and not exFAT or NTFS).
Your card reader should have come with a disk with the necessary files and an installer.
Old 23 March 2018, 23:20   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am confused - do you speak about internal CF in your Amiga IDE port, or external in PCMCIA slot
Old 23 March 2018, 23:20   #5
Kola

Where would I install too mate? On my Amiga? Yes it came with a disk but I find the instructions highly confusing. Like I say in my minds eye it should be plug into PC, drag and drop plug into Amiga? No?
Old 23 March 2018, 23:21   #6
Kola

Predseda, its in the side mate. Card goes into this stick thingy what goes into the Amigas left hand side.
Old 24 March 2018, 06:09   #7
Amiga1992

CF card nightmare

Yes, you need to install the software in your Amiga before the thing will work. Your Amiga doesn’t come with the driver or the file system needed to do this, that’s why it came with a disk with that in it.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:22   #8
Kola

Right ok. So install it where? It doesnt have a hard drive?

I thought thats why it came with a disk? I thought you'd put the disk in, and whatever the Amiga needed would be on there.

When I plug the CF card stick thingy in the side of my amiga I can see a load of stuff on it. Just not anything I put on it. So it does work.

But I would have thought if I needed software to access it Id be able to see nothing at all.

Could anyone kidnly talk me through what to do here. As said im not that technicle. I use technology as a tool not a hobby. No offence to the many on here who are the opposite but were not all like that. Im not on face book, seldome use Email and my phone is still a Nokia to give and EG. Im just a 90s guy I guess. I didnt think this would be anything other than plug and play. You know how it would work on Windows that Ive gotton used too.

Thanks for trying to help me. Appreciated.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:24   #9
Kola

Faling all of that can anyone just send me the bloody disk via post with Octamed sound studio on it and ill give you the money for it.

Why is modern day life always way more difficult that the oolder original ways of doing thngs??

Get me back to the 90s!!!
Old 24 March 2018, 15:10   #10
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
When I plug the CF card stick thingy in the side of my amiga I can see a load of stuff on it. Just not anything I put on it. So it does work.
Are you sure it's really the CF's contents that you actually see ?
By the way, what do you see exactly ? Perhaps you need to be a little bit more precise about what you have and what you get. Nobody can help you without having a clear view of your situation.

So let's try some step-by-step guide.
Boot up your A1200 without the CF plugged. Do you have some WB loading (i.e. some graphical desktop) ? If yes, what do you see as disk icons ?
Now plug the pcmcia adapter with the CF. Does a new icon appear ?
Old 24 March 2018, 15:32   #11
Kola

Hi Meynaf,

Thank you for trying to help.

Ok, I switch on my amiga with no disk's in the floppy drive and I get a big blue window with the title Workbench in the top left.

Under that it had Ram Disk then Games then Music then System.

If I open any of the above there all blank except for System that has Prerfs, Utilities, System, Devs, Tools, WBStartup, Storage, Expansion

Its odd as "Games" and "Music" are exactly what Id title the folders for my software. Wondering if someone set that all up for me years ago but I forgot. But then why are they empty?

Basically we had a baby, moved house and never had a spare minute until now to set back up. So I forgot where I got with all of this.
Old 24 March 2018, 15:42   #12
Kola

Dont know if I should start andother thread for this but another issue is I have an Amiga to RGB SCART cable. The amiga image desplayed has the left inch missing. Like chopped off. Right side, top and bottom are all fine but I cant see the left hand. For EG when it says top left "Amiga Workbench" I can only see "miga Workbench"
Old 24 March 2018, 15:46   #13
meynaf
son of 68k

Ok, but now you can select the window opened by any of these disk icons. It is empty, right ? Even if not, there can be more to see.
Right mouse button shows the menu (usually workbench, window, icons, tools).
Select window -> show -> all files.
Still empty ?
Old 24 March 2018, 16:30   #14
Kola

Hi mate,

Only the Ram Disc has additional files in. Games and Music have no extra.

Ram Disk has Clipboards, ENV and T

Please keep in mind I havent got any discs or the CF card insterted at this point. Guessing I must have a harddrive built in it?
Old 24 March 2018, 16:39   #15
Kola

aha, looks like in 2014 I fitted a CF card reader hard drive replacment thingy.

I had superb help from this forum via a long thread here.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75454&page=3

So, this explaines the Games and Music folders. I guess my Q is how do I get octamed onto the music folder? I honestly only care about that one program.
Old 24 March 2018, 17:30   #16
Kola

Right, Been on with this all afternoon (thats a day off im not getting back)

Ive assertained the following:-

1- I have a CF card as a hard drive fitted and thankfully working on my Amiga 1200.
2 - The above has two folders that are empty titled games and music.
3 - I have a CF card reader USB and Amiga port adapters for another CF card. A one that must have been originally destined to transfer files back and forth from this site via PC to Amiga.
4 - The disc that came with this adapter kit has the option to install onto the CF card or just use from disc. I understand the diff.

This brings me to my problem.

When I attach the CF card to the side Amiga port and put the floppy in and click the non instal version I get an Error message (Of course I do :- / ) staring the very unhelpful "mount 3 unknown command"

Anyone know how to get past this please?

Ok, time to invest another 16 hours into doing something that took seconds back in the 90s. IE putting a floppy in a drive.
Old 24 March 2018, 17:49   #17
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Hi mate,

Only the Ram Disc has additional files in. Games and Music have no extra.

Ram Disk has Clipboards, ENV and T

Please keep in mind I havent got any discs or the CF card insterted at this point. Guessing I must have a harddrive built in it?
Seems that indeed you have some HD inside

Quote:
aha, looks like in 2014 I fitted a CF card reader hard drive replacment thingy.

I had superb help from this forum via a long thread here.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75454&page=3

So, this explaines the Games and Music folders. I guess my Q is how do I get octamed onto the music folder? I honestly only care about that one program.
Question is : where to get octamed at first place. Is it already on your CF, so the problem ends up being how to transfer from pcmcia cf to internal ide cf ?

Quote:
Right, Been on with this all afternoon (thats a day off im not getting back)

Ive assertained the following:-

1- I have a CF card as a hard drive fitted and thankfully working on my Amiga 1200.
2 - The above has two folders that are empty titled games and music.
3 - I have a CF card reader USB and Amiga port adapters for another CF card. A one that must have been originally destined to transfer files back and forth from this site via PC to Amiga.
4 - The disc that came with this adapter kit has the option to install onto the CF card or just use from disc. I understand the diff.

This brings me to my problem.

When I attach the CF card to the side Amiga port and put the floppy in and click the non instal version I get an Error message (Of course I do :- / ) staring the very unhelpful "mount 3 unknown command"

Anyone know how to get past this please?

Ok, time to invest another 16 hours into doing something that took seconds back in the 90s. IE putting a floppy in a drive.
First thing i'd do : copy the floppy's contents somewhere on the internal hd, so you can safely alter things if needed (and no longer have to use the slow floppy). You can just create some dir somewhere and drag the floppy disk's icon inside.

Then check what was on the floppy.
So there is a "non install version" icon to double-click ? What does it say if you just click it and choose icons/information from wb menu ?
Old 24 March 2018, 21:01   #18
Kola

Hi mate,

Ive always had the original of Octamed but the disc doesnt work anymore I was hoping someone would put it up on here for me. So no, its not on my CF card. I didn get an older version that is on my CF card though of Amiga Format magazine site somewhere. Still Id rather have Sound studio.

I have tried to create a DIR on my Amiga but cant work out how? Is it New Drawer? Its just when im on WOrkbench and right click to get the Window menu the New Drawer is greyed out.

For some amazing reason I booted the Amiga with the Floppy in it by an accident. Now it has mounted the external CF card. It desplays a Workbench directory that was aready on there. No matter what I do I cannot get the ADF file of Octamed to show up. Any ideas why?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this.
Old 24 March 2018, 21:11   #19
supaduper

I have just uploaded Octomed v6 as adf to the Zone for you
Old 24 March 2018, 21:44   #20
Kola

Hiya mate. Greatly appreciated but it was Soundstudio I was after if anyone has it.

According to Wikipidia version 1.03c (final version) is freeware now. I managed to find a link to download it here.
http://aminet.net/package/mus/edit/OctamedSS1.03c

So, I DL it and transfer the files to my CF card and put it in my 1200. As much as my 1200 recognises the CF card it still insists the card is blank???? Anyone shed any light on that please. Driving my bonkers.