English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 November 2003, 21:53   #1
vertigo

mbx1230 XA/Auto XA questions

Hi I have the Microbiotics MBX1230 50mhz and have recently installed bloodwych's Workbench and upraded my SIMM to 32mb from 8mb. Unfortunatly its been a long time since I ventured into things like this and cant remeber how I solved this years ago, if I did.

Now the ram is not Autoconfig in 3.0 so I have to add a program called AutoXA to my System directory and add a line in my Startup Sequence just after setpatch (SYS:System/AutoXA) now while this works ok It does seem to run this twice as a window pops up saying AUTOXA is already active and intuition is attempting to close workbench screen etc.., with a boxout saying retry/cancel although it seems to work ok the box always comes up which is annoying, there doesnt seem to be any more instances in any startup file so am unsure why its doing this. Deleting the above line loses the box but also loses my 32mb, any ideas?

Also can anyone tell me how to use the CPU FastRom feature on this card, I cant find any commands or reference on the floppy apart from the read me that says it would be best to use it but doesnt explain how..

vertigo

Old 30 November 2003, 04:11   #2
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Try adding >NIL: after the command to supress the output. That should get rid of the popup.
Old 30 November 2003, 06:59   #3
Amiga1992

Well, I have an MX1230, and teh AutoXA program

It loads up on boot, and resets teh machine, and teh second time it tries to load it finds itself active in memory and doesn't reset the machine, but it brings the message "AutoXA is already active". This message is what is screwing you up. You have to turn off the verbose mode for WB to laod correctly.

I owe you the parameter, cant turn on the miggy ight now.
Old 30 November 2003, 10:48   #4
vertigo

Smile Ahh >NIL:

Thanks for helping me out adolescent, the >NIL: option works a treat, no pop up or telling me about the second instance of AutoXA program, as soon as I seen your answer I remembered thats what the >NIL: option was for, I feel like I've lost my memory and its slowly coming back after all these years

Of course Akira help with any other parameters on this card would be still helpful if you can post them, as I dont have the booklet any more for it only the readme on floppy, which doesnt explain about the fastrom feature, although AutoXa may load the roms to ram Im unsure about this.

Thanks again

vertigo

Old 30 November 2003, 21:16   #5
Amiga1992

Hmm could be NIL the only parameter needed, I will check out for the fastrom thing. Have you got the setXA config program as well? If not, I can upload it.
Old 30 November 2003, 22:22   #6
vertigo

Thanks Akira I do have setXA, its on the original floppy I got with the card. I did use it when I added my 32mb but it doesnt seem to show the memory in the program for some reason in the left column, although the memory installed fine with AutoXA.

I notice in SYSinfo it is 6.83 times faster than a standard A1200 when fastram is installed but take away the fast ram this drops to 1&1/2 times faster, just shows how much the fastram effects the Amiga, rather than the CPU.

One last thing I just remembered, do you know what clock battery I got to use, my other one died lliterally years ago and I dont have one installed at the minute to check what type I need to buy.

Old 01 December 2003, 02:47   #7
Amiga1992

Don't believe Sysinfo that much, it's pure crap. But yes, FastRAM makes a heckuva differenced when it's 32bit.

I will check the battery type for you later, will open up the trapdoor to check it out.