English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 December 2018, 03:03   #1
Toffee

FLATLINE: How The Amiga Languished

Don't let the title fool you this is a nice tonic to the AVGN video.

Another high quality video from Ahoy.

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry if already posted.

Last edited by Toffee; 09 December 2018 at 13:09.
Old 09 December 2018, 09:37   #2
Valken

Really good video! Great narration, story writing and yes, agree with everything he said!
Old 09 December 2018, 11:40   #3
Pyromania

@Toffee

Thanx so much for the link, watching now.
Old 09 December 2018, 11:52   #4
Foebane
Banned

I'm thinking maybe the Amiga languished because of the A1000, it should've been an A500 from the start. At least Atari got it right with the ST.
Old 09 December 2018, 12:00   #5
joacim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I'm thinking maybe the Amiga languished because of the A1000, it should've been an A500 from the start. At least Atari got it right with the ST.
The Amiga "died" because of the mismanagement of Commodore and the competition from the PC market. In theory, they could have become a niche player like Apple is now with the Mac but with the management messing up the company time and time again Commodore never stood a chance and neither did the Amiga.

Old 09 December 2018, 15:20   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacim View Post
The Amiga "died" because of the mismanagement of Commodore and the competition from the PC market. In theory, they could have become a niche player like Apple is now with the Mac but with the management messing up the company time and time again Commodore never stood a chance and neither did the Amiga.
I'm talking about the original Amiga 1000, at launch. It should've been an A500 or something cheaper then.

The Amiga didn't die, it was successful for a few years and then reached obsolescence, as all electronics do.

Yes, I know about the mismanagement, but the Amiga still achieved the biggest sales it could ever get, even if it was in Europe and not the US.

The Amiga DIDN'T fail, end of. If it had, no-one would remember it, but millions of us DO. HOW is that a FAILURE?
Old 09 December 2018, 17:02   #7
Pyromania

I would love to sell the amount of products that the Amiga did. You’re right, millions of sales is a type of success. Many products in today’s world don’t achieve that.
Old 09 December 2018, 17:04   #8
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Just to go back to the video (as it's so easy to end up debating again what caused Commodore's/the Amiga's downfall) I thought this was a superbly put together video, which actually had the substance of correct facts behind it too. I've seen a lot of glossy videos in the past which get some things wrong or just don't have much depth but this was probably one of the best videos put together on the subject, seemed to have more of a narrative.

Highly recommended watch, clearly a lot of time was spent on research!
Old 09 December 2018, 18:25   #9
Foebane
Banned

Ahoy's videos are always great! I loved his videos on Amiga FPS, Doom and Quake, among other game-related ones.
Old 09 December 2018, 19:50   #10
Cherno

As said above, another great video by Ahoy but I was a little disappointed that the real end of Commodore and the Amiga was swept aside.
Old 09 December 2018, 20:53   #11
Psiq
Keen Collector

Great video. Well done!!
Old 09 December 2018, 21:23   #12
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
As said above, another great video by Ahoy but I was a little disappointed that the real end of Commodore and the Amiga was swept aside.
Ahoy briefly covered it here, from an FPS POV:

[ Show youtube player ]

If that's not enough, there's always the Nostalgia Nerd's Amiga Story (2 parts).
Old 10 December 2018, 15:58   #13
joacim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I'm talking about the original Amiga 1000, at launch. It should've been an A500 or something cheaper then.

The Amiga didn't die, it was successful for a few years and then reached obsolescence, as all electronics do.

Yes, I know about the mismanagement, but the Amiga still achieved the biggest sales it could ever get, even if it was in Europe and not the US.

The Amiga DIDN'T fail, end of. If it had, no-one would remember it, but millions of us DO. HOW is that a FAILURE?
I never said it FAILED, did I?

The Amiga did indeed make a dent in the universe and had Apple and many others very worried for a number of years but as with BeOS and other interesting platform it was crushed by Microsoft and the PC.

My point is that Commodore failed the Amiga and all it's users and customers, the Amiga didn't fail.

Old 10 December 2018, 19:07   #14
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacim View Post
I never said it FAILED, did I?
I'm not having a go at you, joacim, but I think the Ahoy guy said it failed. I'll have to check again.
Old 10 December 2018, 20:55   #15
hth313

It is a great video. It tells a lot of things in depth as well as showing a good understanding of more high level matters. The only pity is that it does not continue into the downfall of Commodore, but that is maybe another story.

The Amiga did not fail, it was a success. When I was at university 1987-1991 (in Europe) it was by far the most popular computer (at home).

In the long run, the Amiga failed to keep ahead and started to fall behind the competition. It was only a matter of time. Perhaps a better run and smaller (cheaper) operation with a focus on certain niche markets could have helped it survive better than it did.
Old 11 December 2018, 00:22   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks for the linked video
Old 11 December 2018, 01:07   #17
Gzegzolka

I find this video very interesting.
Old 11 December 2018, 01:51   #18
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

One of the best videos i've seen
Old 14 December 2018, 03:10   #19
d4rk3lf

As always, his videos are awesome.
But am I the only one that feels that this is just a first part of the video?

The video subject is: How The Amiga Languished.
Yet, he stops suddenly, not even mentioning Team 17, and everything that happens after.
He didn't even mentioned A600, A500+, A3000, A1200... etc.
Old 14 December 2018, 06:33   #20
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@d4rk3lf

As mentioned above, the main scope of the documentary is about the US launch and first two years of the Amiga, in particular the A1000, that was also suspended from production before the rebirth of the line with the 500.

As italian i remember that Amiga 1000 was shown in expos in 1986 with some of the programs now famous like Dpaint and Animator (strangely enough not with music programs) but, as much as i was enthusiastic for the power of the machine, it was giving me a vibe as advanced tool, something not on the league of an high school student video game enthusiast as i was (and the fact they did use slideshows with King Tut, Botticelli and Degas ballerinas did not help) while, as an art school student i thought would be never able to afford one - especially as shown in the expos in the model 1000 with DF1 and monitor.
Even the leaked Amiga Magazine copies available at those expos were mostly showing artwork, but little more.

It did start to provide me the right vibe and to have the right price with the A500.
And was determined to get one!
I had disks with Deluxe Paint and Xenon already like six months before was able to buy my A500!!!

Last edited by saimon69; 14 December 2018 at 07:13.