English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 December 2018, 01:18   #101
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Facebook was never started by some college kid in a T-shirt and jeans. If you believe that then I'm sure you will believe just about anything. Facebook is a very clever information gathering tool created by one of the big US or Israeli tech/intelligence agencies.

Once I realised that, I closed my Facebook account and never looked back. It was just the same old friends posting the same old shit on there anyway. God, the amount of information that people post about themselves everyday, multiple times is incredible. And it is all being recorded and stored in some large datacentre ready to be used when needed!

It just staggers me the ignorance of the general population. Rant over.
Old 08 December 2018, 02:39   #102
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Facebook was never started by some college kid in a T-shirt and jeans. If you believe that then I'm sure you will believe just about anything. Facebook is a very clever information gathering tool created by one of the big US or Israeli tech/intelligence agencies.
Quote:
It just staggers me the ignorance of the general population.
Indeed, Q.E.D.
Old 08 December 2018, 08:21   #103
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook, Inc. is an American online social media and social networking service company based in Menlo Park, California. Its website was launched on February 4, 2004, by Mark Zuckerberg, along with fellow Harvard College students and roommates Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.

The founders initially limited the website's membership to Harvard students. Later they expanded it to higher education institutions in the Boston area, the Ivy League schools, and Stanford University. Facebook gradually added support for students at various other universities, and eventually to high school students.
Harvard University, Jewish 'founder', 2/4/2004? Connect the dots people... Connect the Dots!!!

Quote:
It just staggers me the ignorance of the general population.
Ignorance is easily cured. The real problem is wilful ignorants who make **** up to bolster their paranoid delusions.
Old 08 December 2018, 10:31   #104
Pyromania

Smile

Don’t forget to check out my Facebook feed = <NIL>
Old 08 December 2018, 13:09   #105
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Ignorance is easily cured. The real problem is wilful ignorants who make **** up to bolster their paranoid delusions.
I'm reminded of:

Old 08 December 2018, 16:34   #106
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Number of moderator needed to warn members to get back on topic (and to clean up/lock the thread if necessary) = 1
Old 09 December 2018, 10:53   #107
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Usually I try to stay factual but I can't resist a joke, taken from a newspaper, about Social Network (& Hyper-communication) .
(as usual, translated with a web tool & original attached)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hypercommunication-FR.png
Views:	89
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	61151  
Old 09 December 2018, 12:19   #108
Lorfarius

Quote:

Once I realised that, I closed my Facebook account and never looked back. It was just the same old friends posting the same old shit on there anyway. God, the amount of information that people post about themselves everyday, multiple times is incredible. And it is all being recorded and stored in some large datacentre ready to be used when needed!

It just staggers me the ignorance of the general population. Rant over.
What's so interesting in your life that you think that they want? The entire internet is built to take your info and there's no getting away from it. So you left FB... so what? Now you get to miss out on huge Amiga communities and things going on, if you are that worried about them stealing info don't put anything personal on it beyond the basic acc sign up details.
Old 09 December 2018, 15:40   #109
daxb

If you would know how all the data collecting/linking works and what the result is you wouldn't say this. Sorry, you need to inform more/better.

Last edited by daxb; 09 December 2018 at 20:16.
Old 09 December 2018, 16:21   #110
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
What's so interesting in your life that you think that they want? The entire internet is built to take your info and there's no getting away from it. So you left FB... so what? Now you get to miss out on huge Amiga communities and things going on, if you are that worried about them stealing info don't put anything personal on it beyond the basic acc sign up details.
Nothing. Maybe everything? People post pictures of their family. These photographs are then analysed by FB using facial recognition algorithms. They can then check others photographs for similar images/locations. I came off because I have no interest in FB anymore. I joined in 2007 when it first started and once I realised it was just a data mining tool I came off. If you later become an interesting figure to the establishment, information you post, no matter how irrelevant it may seem to you WILL be used against you. It is George Orwell's Big Brother society and it is happening everywhere you look. It isn't just FB, I am trying to reduce my footprint all over the Internet. If you want to keep giving out information about yourself and your family then fine, go ahead. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

And I am more than happy with this Amiga community here thank you very much. I don't need FB chewing more of my precious time!
Old 21 December 2018, 13:41   #111
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

deepl.com translation (original in attachment)

Quote:
Facebook has allowed access to private conversations

WEB A report from the "New York Times" revealed that the social network has shared its users' data for the benefit of web giants.

Facebook's black year is not over. Bogged down in multiple scandals, the social network was trying yesterday to minimize the scope of new charges, after an investigation by the New York Times. "For years, Facebook has given some of the world's largest technology companies more intusive access to users' personal data than it has allowed," the daily wrote. The group reportedly provided some 150 companies with private data such as private messaging, names of friends of their customers or some of their publications.

A Facebook official assured that none of these partnerships had given these firms access to information without the consent of individuals, nor violated the 2012 agreement with the US Competition Authority (FTC). Yet, the "New York Times" claims that Facebook has allowed the search engine Bing (Microsoft) to see the names of its users' friends without their consent. He also claims that Netflix and Spotify were able to read private messages. Amazon was able to get names and contacts through friends, and Yahoo was able to view the data published on Facebook pages. According to the "NYT", the agreements concluded in 2010 with the partners remained active until the end of 2017 and for some until the beginning of 2018. -AFP

Call for boycott
In a letter to Facebook's boss, some 30 civil rights, ethnic and religious minority associations are demanding that he resign as chair of the board of directors or that the group apologize to all organizations targeted by Definers Public Affairs. This firm hired by Facebook was accused of spreading false information in an attempt to discredit several groups critical of the social network.

Picture's label: Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg has to deal with scandals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FBAllowsAccessToPrivateData.png
Views:	93
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	61252  
Old 05 January 2019, 00:19   #112
paulo_becas

I just had a blast readind all this thread
Long story short... #Akira i subscrive everything you said.
In a few words, Facebook sucks big time so all social networks, that's why i never use them.
I don't care what everyone is saying about the supposed benefits it brings...
It's all shit.
Comparing facebook with foruns????? Really ?????
I never understand the need for sharing what people are having for breakfast or if you are going to the beach or whatever... who gives a fuck??
Old 09 January 2019, 14:55   #113
Lorfarius

Quote:
Nothing. Maybe everything? People post pictures of their family. These photographs are then analysed by FB using facial recognition algorithms. They can then check others photographs for similar images/locations. I came off because I have no interest in FB anymore. I joined in 2007 when it first started and once I realised it was just a data mining tool I came off. If you later become an interesting figure to the establishment, information you post, no matter how irrelevant it may seem to you WILL be used against you. It is George Orwell's Big Brother society and it is happening everywhere you look. It isn't just FB, I am trying to reduce my footprint all over the Internet. If you want to keep giving out information about yourself and your family then fine, go ahead. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

And I am more than happy with this Amiga community here thank you very much. I don't need FB chewing more of my precious time!
Then you are missing out on an awful lot. The Amiga FB groups are some of the biggest and busiest retro communities going. I add stuff about my weekly Amiga podcast on there each week and get loads of chat, questions and people interested about discussing things but doing so here... next to no posts for weeks at a time. Forums just seem to be a lot slower in general and I see it with lots of places these days. FB has loads of regular posts filled with all sorts of chat on the Amiga whether it be games people are playing, interesting bits of art in DP, hardware issues, builds etc. etc

If you don't want to share private info about you on FB then... don't put it on? You don't need piles of friends or relatives or even link it to any sort of device for just pure browsing and seeing posts. Loads of people do exactly that as you need to have next to nothing on it.

Last edited by Lorfarius; 09 January 2019 at 15:09.
Old 09 January 2019, 15:14   #114
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Facebook sued

UNITED STATES The Attorney General of Washington announced on Wednesday lawsuits against the social network in the Cambridge Analytica case for "improperly protecting its users' data", leaving them vulnerable to "political manipulation" during the 2016 presidential election.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB-sued.png
Views:	73
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	61521  
Old 09 January 2019, 16:08   #115
BrooksterMax

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook and had a dormant account for years until last year I discovered groups on there.

I am also sensitive to the whole data privacy thing but I did join a few groups of interest around the Amiga, Sega stuff and other retro machines when someone recommended it to me.

And from there, one great example I have been able to speak direct (a few words/short conversations) with David Pleasance and Stoo from Sensible Software about a few things. It was unique and pretty cool to just even talk directly with these people that mean something to me.

Where else could I do something like that?
Old 09 January 2019, 16:12   #116
Lorfarius

That's another thing I forgot! It was thanks to that I was able to interview Simon Phipps on the show.
Old 09 January 2019, 18:20   #117
daxb

Sooner or later people will notice that using such social media isn't a good idea. Ignoring all the bad forever leads to a future people do not want.
Old 09 January 2019, 18:42   #118
Nobby_UK

I don't use Soc Med (only briefly on FB)

So it's Fora all the way for me
Old 10 January 2019, 03:27   #119
nexus

[ Show youtube player ]
Social Media's DAMAGING Effect on Kids
all my kids have phones etc but they dont use it for that as i dont allow it
just youtube anime etc or like my 7 year old uses his to draw a lot and ofc animal vids but he uses youtube to also learn how to use his art apps he downloads from google play
but anyways thats another reason why i home school i dont have to worry about that pressure on my kids that everyone is on it bs

Last edited by nexus; 10 January 2019 at 03:39.
Old 10 January 2019, 10:20   #120
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@nexus: interesting video (the presented diagrams are surprising but eloquent). Thanks.

Interesting to see how important it is for some companies to identify people on family/holidays/hobby/etc. pictures.

Quote:
Intel with Facebook

MATERIAL The Santa Clara firm is developing a chip with artificial intelligence, which will allow Mark Zuckerberg's firm to identify people in photos via a deduction system. Nvidia and Amazon are already present in this sector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Intel-FB.png
Views:	75
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	61533