English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 28 July 2015, 14:12   #1
rabindranath72
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stafford
Age: 45
Posts: 30
Minix

Since this thread is supposed to host all UNIX flavours, it seems weird no one posted about MINIX
The full MINIX distribution can be found here:

http://aminet.net/misc/os

The original distribution, the two upgrades and some docs.

I managed to boot and run the bootdisk from Update 1 (which includes code to avoid the kernel crashing on 680x0, x>0) and most crucially, hard disk support.
Now, for real hardware, you need either a SCSI or XT.
Worryingly enough, I couldn't install EITHER on WinUAE; something within MINIX doesn't seem to like how WinUAE handles the devices. Or is it? Did anyone succeed?
In a related post, I mentioned I couldn't even get a proper hdf image under the XT protocol working; that's another attempt I'd like to try before giving up on emulation, and working solely on my A1200/30.
In related news, I'm in the process of writing a proper IDE driver for my A1200.
rabindranath72 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 July 2015, 08:32   #2
strim
NetBSD developer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabindranath72 View Post
In related news, I'm in the process of writing a proper IDE driver for my A1200.
Woot, that's pretty much awesome. No one wrote anything Minix/Amiga related for ages .

Would you mind sharing your effort? Is the old Minix code even buildable in 2015? What toolchain do you use?

Maybe you can publish the code on GitHub? I wrote a few NetBSD/amiga drivers, I could take a look.
strim is offline  
Old 29 July 2015, 13:08   #3
rabindranath72
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stafford
Age: 45
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
Woot, that's pretty much awesome. No one wrote anything Minix/Amiga related for ages .

Would you mind sharing your effort? Is the old Minix code even buildable in 2015? What toolchain do you use?

Maybe you can publish the code on GitHub? I wrote a few NetBSD/amiga drivers, I could take a look.
I'll definitely share, though it's been 20 years since I have touched an Amiga, and more than 10 since a wrote a device driver, so I guess it's a shot in the dark right now.
The idea was to use emulation to get a clean HD install of MINIX, but apparently MINIX doesn't like WinUAE
I tried with both SCSI and XT emulation; I can see SCSI hdf images from MINIX, but then MINIX filesystem creation doesn't work; then I tried XT hdf images, but I can't even get AmigaOS to format an hdf file with XT format (see the thread in WinUAE support.) If you could try getting an XT format hdf (Toni Wilen says he got it working...somehow) it would be really helpful, at least I could see if MINIX likes XT better than SCSI on WinUAE.

As a toolchain I was thinking of using cc on MINIX itself on WinUAE (just for that retro-experience ) although I also have Aztec C 5.10 on my A1200, as it supports pre-ANSI C.

What NetBSD drivers did you write? I'll definitely look at Linux, NetBSD and AROS for IDE implementations, I want to keep things as simple as possible, say ATA-1 level, so as to re-use as much of the official AT code in MINIX as possible.

Another challenge, for the future, is to allow MINIX to fully support virtual memory (I have a 68030 accelerator in my A1200) and replace process shadowing. But until I get a proper HD installation of MINIX that's not really (easily) feasible.

Last edited by rabindranath72; 29 July 2015 at 13:39.
rabindranath72 is offline  
Old 29 July 2015, 16:52   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

redblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Middle Earth
Age: 33
Posts: 1,030
I was going to play with the patches tonight. Wrote the disks with yadi and messydos file handler from Aminet.

I remember the update was good as it didn't crash my A1200. But I didn't use the patches.
redblade is offline  
Old 29 July 2015, 17:22   #5
strim
NetBSD developer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabindranath72 View Post
If you could try getting an XT format hdf (Toni Wilen says he got it working...somehow) it would be really helpful, at least I could see if MINIX likes XT better than SCSI on WinUAE.
First I'd have to try to get it running, to be honest I never used Minix on Amiga. My only experiences with Minix are with versoin 3 on x86, which seems to be very different.

Quote:
As a toolchain I was thinking of using cc on MINIX itself on WinUAE (just for that retro-experience ) although I also have Aztec C 5.10 on my A1200, as it supports pre-ANSI C.
So, Minix 1.5 is written in pre-ANSI C? Ouch . I hoped to cross-compile it from some modern OS with not-so-huge amount of work required...

Quote:
What NetBSD drivers did you write?
Here's the list.


Quote:
I'll definitely look at Linux, NetBSD and AROS for IDE implementations, I want to keep things as simple as possible, say ATA-1 level, so as to re-use as much of the official AT code in MINIX as possible.
Agreed, best to keep it simple.

Quote:
Another challenge, for the future, is to allow MINIX to fully support virtual memory (I have a 68030 accelerator in my A1200) and replace process shadowing. But until I get a proper HD installation of MINIX that's not really (easily) feasible.
I don't want to discourage you, but it sounds like a very ambitious project . And there are already UNIX-likes for Amiga that support virtual memory and MMU (NetBSD, Linux). I think the most appealing part of Minix are its very small requirements and the fact it can work even on a plain 68000.
strim is offline  
Old 29 July 2015, 20:35   #6
rabindranath72
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stafford
Age: 45
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
First I'd have to try to get it running, to be honest I never used Minix on Amiga. My only experiences with Minix are with versoin 3 on x86, which seems to be very different.
Ah yes, Minix 3 is a completely different beast. I suggest you buy Operating Systems: Design and Implementation (first edition) which fully documents Minix 1.1. It's an attractive system because it's very simple, easily expandable, and can be understood and maintained in its entirety by a single person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
So, Minix 1.5 is written in pre-ANSI C? Ouch . I hoped to cross-compile it from some modern OS with not-so-huge amount of work required...
Yup! That's why I want to make my life simple, and use old development tools. Also, the system is very modular; as I am going only to add a driver, I won't need to recompile everything, only compile my part and link with existing object code.


Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
My kudos to you! That's pretty impressive. My only experience writing drivers is for the Cetia PPC SBCs under LynxOS (before it became a Linux variant.) I worked in some astrophysics projects, writing drivers for real-time data acquisition and monitoring systems. Never dealt with disk peripheral, so it will be something new.



Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
I don't want to discourage you, but it sounds like a very ambitious project . And there are already UNIX-likes for Amiga that support virtual memory and MMU (NetBSD, Linux). I think the most appealing part of Minix are its very small requirements and the fact it can work even on a plain 68000.
LOL yeah I know of the alternatives, but the point of the experiment is exactly to write the code; I have always been fascinated by the 68030 processor, I never wrote anything related to MMUs, and the simple fact that such an extension still doesn't exist is an attractive enough proposition for me to consider spending time on it. I bought an A1200+68030 accelerator exactly for this purpose (definitely not to play games; well except the occasional Sierra or Lucasarts adventure ), so I will have to put the hardware to good use
In any case, for starters I only want to implement some form of memory protection (similar to what the 8088 provides), so I'll have only to hack the memory manager.

Last edited by rabindranath72; 29 July 2015 at 20:41.
rabindranath72 is offline  
Old 30 July 2015, 12:17   #7
rabindranath72
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stafford
Age: 45
Posts: 30
Note that if you want to develop with an existing MINIX system, Atari ST emulation is robust enough to handle MINIX, including hard drive support, so you could install a full MINIX ST system. The executables produced are compatible between the ST and Amiga versions (unless they use some specific hardware, obviously). ST can work as an excellent cross-development platform.

In terms of more "modern" compiler, you could check the ACK compiler.
http://tack.sourceforge.net/
Version 5.6 is relatively modern, it has 68k as a target architecture, and it can compile old non-ANSI code.
rabindranath72 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minix images redblade support.WinUAE 30 28 July 2015 12:50
Minix on Amiga tinto Amiga scene 9 18 January 2010 10:05
Minix under E-UAE gilgamesh New to Emulation or Amiga scene 1 13 September 2008 12:15
Amiga MINIX boot disk _ThEcRoW support.Apps 3 30 December 2005 00:02
Minix on WinUAE dondilly support.WinUAE 1 03 November 2005 08:01

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.18139 seconds with 14 queries