English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 September 2012, 00:49   #41
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm sorry to have to report that this quest ended in failure this evening.

Both my Miniscribe RLL hard drives span up okay after giving them a sharp twist; however, only the newer one initialized correctly and, in fact, booted. The older one never even got to the point where the drive heads start seeking, so the drive was not detected. I'm not surprised; this model (the MS-8438) has an exposed interruptor, which makes them very delicate.

I tried the newer drive with all three controllers and it booted every time.

However, when I tried the Kyocera hard drive it span up okay and the drive heads stepped from start to end of the platters, but it failed to initialize so, again, the drive was not detected.

I tried this at both 26 and 17 sectors per track on an RLL controller and at 17 sectors per track on an MFM controller. When connected to the MFM controller, the drive heads didn't move at all.

The drive arrived very well packaged, so I have no reason to suppose that it suffered damage in transit, so it could just have a failed component, though everything looks okay.

I'm sorry that the end result is not what you had hoped for. Actually, I'm gutted, but I don't know of anything else worth trying. I will, of course, return it to you if you wish.

Last edited by prowler; 17 September 2012 at 01:03.
Old 26 September 2012, 19:51   #42
snc

oh, that sucks... well, it was a long shot, so thanks for giving it a try! no need for sending it back, thanks again!