English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2008, 03:43   #1
Ed Cruse

RTG FPS Question

What's the Frames Per Second at the bottom of the window supposed to be when running RTG and NTSC Chip Set? Seems like it should be 60, on my system it's always 50.

Going by the change log for 1530b6 it sounds like it's supposed to be the Refresh Rate for the selected Chip Set, which in my case is 60 for NTSC. I believe the FPS is the same as the VBlank which is the same as the Refresh Rate. The TOD clock also acts like it's getting 50 ticks per seconds which causes it to run slow.

Any clarification would sure be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 27 October 2008, 08:14   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
What's the Frames Per Second at the bottom of the window supposed to be when running RTG and NTSC Chip Set? Seems like it should be 60, on my system it's always 50.
It is always chipset rate currently. I guess it should show RTG rate when RTG mode is enabled (and hope it won't confuse users who set high chipset rates for smoother mouse)

Quote:
Going by the change log for 1530b6 it sounds like it's supposed to be the Refresh Rate for the selected Chip Set, which in my case is 60 for NTSC. I believe the FPS is the same as the VBlank which is the same as the Refresh Rate.
Yes

Quote:
The TOD clock also acts like it's getting 50 ticks per seconds which causes it to run slow.
CIA timing source is configurable in advanced chipset panel: vsync or power line tick. (Amiga model specific, some have jumpers)
Old 27 October 2008, 14:32   #3
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is always chipset rate currently. I guess it should show RTG rate when RTG mode is enabled (and hope it won't confuse users who set high chipset rates for smoother mouse)

Yes

CIA timing source is configurable in advanced chipset panel: vsync or power line tick. (Amiga model specific, some have jumpers)

Thanks Toni.

Is the Chip Set Rate set by the FPS setting in the Dispaly panel? If it is then something may not be right. When I run RTG with NTSC Chip Set the FPS setting is 60 but the FPS reading at the bottom of the window is always 50. When I'm displaying a NTSC screen it reads 60 at the bottom and 50 when displaying PAL, so I don't think my computer is lugging down and causing a slow FPS reading.

I think it would be confussing to have the FPS display reading the RTG rate, it would probably by better to have two different displays if there's room. If not then the FPS display should be used to display the Tick Source, if that's always the Chip Set then it should always display the Chip Set rate.

I've have been using the 60Hz Tick source, but the FPS reading at the bottom of the window of 50 instead 60 makes me think there's something not quite right.
Old 27 October 2008, 14:39   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Is the Chip Set Rate set by the FPS setting in the Dispaly panel? If it is then something may not be right. When I run RTG with NTSC Chip Set the FPS setting is 60 but the FPS reading at the bottom of the window is always 50. When I'm displaying a NTSC screen it reads 60 at the bottom and 50 when displaying PAL, so I don't think my computer is lugging down and causing a slow FPS reading.
Probably something to do with NTSC setting. (Option I don't need or use = can be broken)

Quote:
I've have been using the 60Hz Tick source, but the FPS reading at the bottom of the window of 50 instead 60 makes me think there's something not quite right.
First, 60Hz tick and 50Hz vblank can be normal.

Do you get 60Hz FPS if you boot without startup-sequence? (or without harddrives) If yes, you have some program in startup-sequence/wbstartup that sets 50Hz timing when RTG is enabled (or something like that)

Try setting OCS chipset temporarily (and set chipram to 512k) because it does not support programmable PAL/NTSC switching
Old 28 October 2008, 15:13   #5
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Probably something to do with NTSC setting. (Option I don't need or use = can be broken)

First, 60Hz tick and 50Hz vblank can be normal.

Do you get 60Hz FPS if you boot without startup-sequence? (or without harddrives) If yes, you have some program in startup-sequence/wbstartup that sets 50Hz timing when RTG is enabled (or something like that)

Try setting OCS chipset temporarily (and set chipram to 512k) because it does not support programmable PAL/NTSC switching
The following tests were done with the Chip Set set to NTSC. I tried the no startup-sequence and it came up 50 fps. I also tried using OCS, it also came up 50 fps. AGA and ECS both came up 60 fps which is interesting because they're the only ones that support programmable PAL/NTSC switching. It looks to me like WinUAE is looking at the programmable PAL/NTSC information when using OCS and RTG. When OCS and RTG WinUAE should look at the Chip Set setting.

PAL didn't show in ScreenMode when using OCS which confirms that I truly was in OCS.
Old 28 October 2008, 17:07   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
The following tests were done with the Chip Set set to NTSC. I tried the no startup-sequence and it came up 50 fps. I also tried using OCS, it also came up 50 fps.
This is a bug. OCS always defaulted to PAL rate even if NTSC was set. (I said I don't use NTSC )

But I don't think this explains your original problem..

Quote:
I think it would be confussing to have the FPS display reading the RTG rate, it would probably by better to have two different displays if there's room.
I added both RTG and chipset rates to windowed mode RTG FPS counter. ("FPS:" removed because it didn't fit and I didn't want to make it any wider)