English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 30 July 2017, 08:43   #1
hese

Hese's Amiga hardware repairs and upgrades

I will be posting here some of the Amiga hardware repairs and upgrades I have been working on. If you have comments or questions regarding the repairs, you are welcome to post them here. But please keep on topic.

Alright, let's start the thread with a few recappings.

CD32 motherboards recapped

Both CD32 motherboards had been recapped already with electrolytic capacitors before they arrived here but this time they were to be recapped with non-leaking polymer capacitors. When the boards were recapped the first time, the surface mount capacitors had been replaced very well but the through-hole capacitors had some issues. The through-hole eyelets were damaged when the original capacitors were removed and some of the eyelets had been ripped off the board.

There are a couple of ways to repair the broken eyelets neatly. You can string a piece of wire through the hole to reconnect the top and bottom layers of the board, or you can use PCB copper rivets. Here I used rivets to repair the eyelets. The rivet was pushed through the hole and both ends of the rivet were flattened against the PCB to secure the rivet to the board. Then the rivet was connected electrically to the board by soldering both ends of the rivet to the traces or planes where the eyelets were connect to before.

As the PCB around the eyelets had also taken some damage, the eyelet repair was finished by coating the damaged area with PCB protective paint.

CD32 motherboard #1

CD32 motherboard #2
Old 30 July 2017, 15:21   #2
wiz12

Great job hese. You did fantastic repair work on both my CD32 boards, they look like new.