English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 August 2003, 20:31   #21
Djay
95th User

maybe,

1 member of each project... i.e. CAPS, HOL, APoV etc etc... could have access to the news page and be able to add news posts as and when they need too....

2 people could be responsiable for general site maintance...

2 people could contact fansites or project sites (to find new projects we don't know about it)

2 people to contact publishers, developers etc...

Toni to update news about Winuae
Old 20 August 2003, 20:33   #22
Dizzy
Pirate

And a bunch of backup workers, doing all the typingwork/layout etc
Old 20 August 2003, 20:37   #23
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Remember that this should be more than just a website portal or news site.

It should be a organisation with rules for project membership (e.g. non-profit making) and a list of people involved with it and their skills.

There should also be a decent name and identifiable logo.
Old 20 August 2003, 20:54   #24
woody57

Thumbs up I,m just getting organised !

... still in the middle of my portable A600 project { finances to buy a decent LCD is the hold up } but rock on !
Old 20 August 2003, 21:10   #25
Amiga1992

woo hold it.

Who converted Cody's original idea into a news portal project? :P

I say you forget about that, otherwise you would get lost in the middle of shitloads of tasks to do.

To get this project off the ground, we must write down its mission, with good focus.

Cody might want to kickstart this task by writing down his initial idea, we then write down what we expect from it, how to modify it, etc. until we're all happy.

I wouldn't like it to become a news portal, andI wouldn';t participate in such a thing. There are already others, no need for one inside the EAB
Old 20 August 2003, 21:28   #26
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
woo hold it.

I say you forget about that, otherwise you would get lost in the middle of shitloads of tasks to do.

To get this project off the ground, we must write down its mission, with good focus.

Cody might want to kickstart this task by writing down his initial idea, we then write down what we expect from it, how to modify it, etc. until we're all happy.

I wouldn't like it to become a news portal, andI wouldn';t participate in such a thing. There are already others, no need for one inside the EAB
I totally agree.
Build a project, first. Then let's do the necessary adds/removes/modifications before make it real.
This *MUST* be involved from anyone who have just only a little idea. Many few things made a BIG thing!
Old 20 August 2003, 22:19   #27
khephren

I haven't seen a definitive idea on this thread. Seen lots of ideas thrown around that seem to take it further from what it started out as.

Too many fingers in the pie so to speak. A portal does not have to be a news site, it can be other than that, seems more like a project management site to me, but may be wrong.
Old 20 August 2003, 22:36   #28
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Think of an Amiga Hanseatic League, but in the 21st Century, and you'll have some sort of idea.
Old 20 August 2003, 22:46   #29
woody57

Question Wheres the Mission Statement ? .....

... All planning these days seems to start with one so the rest of us mere mortals can gasp in awe ar its HUGE parameters .....I think...
Old 20 August 2003, 22:54   #30
Djay
95th User

Quote:
hehe...

no not all news... it wouldn't be "New Game in TOSEC collection" type news, more a place where people can keep the Amiga community informed on far they have got with their projects..
which would only be just one part of it...

also the "Copyright Focus Group", could keep us informed about who they have contacted and what they have said...

there are many ideas, all of which need talking about!

before we have a mission statement, we need to know what the mission is
Old 20 August 2003, 23:17   #31
Amiga1992

Kheph is right, as I said, the thing is getting widespread and will end in a vast inconclusion, as many other projects.

Your "example" or "metaphore", Cody, makes no sense to me. Please explain your original idea with concise detail so we can make, as woodshed said, a "mission statement" :P
Old 21 August 2003, 00:29   #32
khephren

Re-reading Cody's original post, it seems the idea is ...

1) a sort of umbrella for all things developing on EAB. Each user can contribute something to a project that is ongoing. Like Akira's game, if some one drew something worthwhile, it is posted.

2) A sort of knowledge base for other users.

3) Instead of an individual asking for a game to be released, it in the organisation that asks, the collective being better than the individual.

That's how I read it anyway.

If you start off with just those, the rest can come later surely.
Old 21 August 2003, 00:36   #33
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

That's close to the concept, but the projects wouldn't necessarily have to be linked to RCK's Evil Abime Empire.

I can't believe that nobody knows about the European 12th Century Hanseatic League of nautical merchants.
Old 21 August 2003, 00:38   #34
khephren

No I didn't mean to give that impression Cody. Was just trying to get the discussion back to the original idea.

And I haven't a fucking clue what you are on about with European 12th Century Hanseatic League stuf.

EDIT: ....but a quick look on Google and I start to see the idea
Old 21 August 2003, 00:45   #35
Djay
95th User

Quote:
That's how I read it anyway.
indeed, but the group would need a face, this face would come in the form of a website....

imagine if you will..

Group "so, will you please release you game into the public domain?

Publisher "Maybe, what your sites url?"

Group "Ermmmm...."

yes the above is a simple way to put it, but every org. has a site for its clients etc to view
Old 21 August 2003, 00:49   #36
khephren

I didn't say a web site wasn't needed, I said that the objectives need to be set out first.

I believe Cody is Amiga enthusiasts talking with one voice, if we can't agree on it then that is fucked before its started.

One big organisation of commited people are better that a dozen individuals seeking to out do the rest. It's not a ego thing to see who can get the latest game released from the publishers, or whatever.

Web site is important, but it is not the be all and end all.

Last edited by khephren; 21 August 2003 at 01:59.
Old 21 August 2003, 01:17   #37
Amiga1992

That's right.

Besides, it could be a phone number or something. Cody can be our secretary :P

A site having the group's goals and how it is composed would be a starter, with nothing else needed at first, I guess.

You are trying to run before walking. Without objectives, purpose, mission, the result will be a ME TOO AMWEEGA FAN NEWS SWITEE!

No thanks.
Old 21 August 2003, 01:23   #38
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Let me think on what the goals are and I'll post them here tomorrow.
Old 21 August 2003, 03:35   #39
Djay
95th User

@ Akira and khephren

i totally agree...

... the "mission" is the first thing to be sorted... sorry for getting ahead of myself...

carry on...
Old 21 August 2003, 04:54   #40
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

As for the actual concept & idea, that would be great!
But just in the way of execution of it,& how things are mentioned, I can't help thinking that some of the legwork could be saved.

As has already been mentioned a lot of the projects mentioned have Mods/people already heavily involved here at EAB,(or Emu UK). Rather than having to devote extra time/energy to a dedicated site, it'd make more sense to maintain the "group collectives" through sites here & at Emu UK?

Perhaps to make it easier for those groups to communicate amongst one another though they should have a dedicated area of EAB/Emu UK they can can exclusively communicate with each other (As in strictly for that group & not for normal members, like a Mods only type area),& when happy to make announcements/post ideas for feedback on will have a ready-made forum/feedback area to talk to.
(And of course their own official sites)

And I don't mean that in an ego-style thing,I would just think it makes sense to use the most useful available "tools" to hand & which would allow said groups to concentrate their energy on the tasks (be it CAPS,HOL,WHD etc), at hand, & minimize overheads.