English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 July 2011, 00:53   #1
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Heart of the Alien: How to compile.

So I'm posting this on three different forums as I'd like to take a stab at compiling this on every Amiga related platform that I use, and considering that I know next to nothing about coding for the Amiga, I assume that the development environments will vary from one another, therefore I need help setting up my development environment to suit each OS. Since I've already posted on AROS Exec and MophZone, I'd like help here specifically on getting things set up for Amiga OS 3.1 or 3.9.

As you can see on the page, there was a port of Heart of the Alien compiled for Amiga OS 3.9, but no release was ever submitted.

I wrote to the author and he told me that the guy who compiled it only sent him a screen shot, which you can see on his page. He then told me that all I would need to do would be to compile it and I should be good to go, but he said I would need gcc and libsdl. So what I'm wondering is how do I get them, where do I put them, then where do I put the source for Heart of the Alien redux, and then how do I get them to compile?

I would rather do this my self rather than have someone else do it, as it would give me an opportunity to learn. Then if more work needs done to get them to work, I could ask around and maybe perhaps learn a bit about coding basics.

http://hota.sourceforge.net/

Please remember, I'M A TOTAL VIRGIN TO ALL THIS. So please, baby steps, baby steps!
Old 05 July 2011, 09:22   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Wow I really hope that some of the great EAB coders can help you with this! Heart of the Alien is a great game. The Amiga compile on the site you link apparently needs SDL. Is it VERY SLOOOW on classic hardware? It was briefly discussed here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=Heart+Alien post #34 & 35
Old 06 July 2011, 00:01   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
...he said I would need gcc and libsdl. So what I'm wondering is how do I get them...
libsdl here.

Specifically, latest version for Amiga:
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-1.2.6-amiga.zip

Regarding GCC, I have an Amiga Developer hardfile intended for KS 3.1 (40.68) A4000 emulation under WinUAE.

The hardfile includes Amiga OS 3.1 and GCC, and compresses to about 25MB. I also have the WinUAE config file to run the GCC hardfile.

I cannot supply the Kickstart ROM image, and I would have to remove Amiga OS 3.1 from the hardfile, but I could upload it to the Zone in parts for you if you would like me to.

Last edited by prowler; 06 July 2011 at 00:08.
Old 06 July 2011, 01:19   #4
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Yes thank you, and for the note, I may have came across a pre-compiled version of Heart of the Alien. Should have it in a few days, hopefully with source as well.
Old 07 July 2011, 06:03   #5
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

So with this package you are talking about, all I'd need to do once you upload it is to re-install Work Bench onto the HDF file, or copy the files onto my already set up Amiga and I'd have a ready to go dev environment?

What would I need the kickstart rom for?
Old 07 July 2011, 22:32   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request. It's taken a while for me to find the files concerned.

Quote:
Yes thank you, and for the note, I may have came across a pre-compiled version of Heart of the Alien. Should have it in a few days, hopefully with source as well.
That sounds encouraging. Are you in touch with the uploader of the Amiga OS 3.9 screenshot? It would be marvellous to be able to run the follow up (albeit unofficial) to Another World on the Amiga where it belongs.

When I discovered the HOTA project, I managed to get hold of the Mega CD image required in order to run it in Windows, and it's quite impressive.

Quote:
So with this package you are talking about, all I'd need to do once you upload it is to re-install Work Bench onto the HDF file, or copy the files onto my already set up Amiga and I'd have a ready to go dev environment?

What would I need the kickstart rom for?
Yes, as you say, you can either re-install Workbench 3.1 onto the hardfile, or merge its contents with that of your already set up Amiga and you'll have a pre-configured ready to go GCC development environment.

An A1200 or A4000 40.68 Kickstart ROM image is required only to use the developer tools with WinUAE.

It will take me a while to remove the Amiga OS files required to make it legal. In the meantime, I've attached the readme file for you to have a look at. I've removed only the information required to preserve the anonymity of the original distributor and the website used.

AFAIK, this was the last available release of the hardfile before the website was shut down due to copyright infringement.
Attached Files
File Type: txt gcc112.txt (11.8 KB, 432 views)
Old 09 July 2011, 05:31   #7
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I'm in touch with one of his friends: Fishy Fiz, aka Fishy Fish.

He can't find the copy he had, but he said he knows the guy who ported it and is going to see if he still has that and the sources. Also he said he's trying to get it ported to AROS, which is problematic, but he says he'll get back to it eventually and try to iron out what ever bugs he's dealing with.

From the sounds of things, this may well be better suited for a Power Amiga, MorphOS, AROS, or OS 4...

...of course if the Natami becomes a reality, that may handle it fine as well.

Anyhow, he'll post it the 680x0 version to Aminet as soon as he finds it.

As for you, take your time, though I have to say when you get that uploaded, I think a lot of people in the community will benefit from it as I've heard it is tricky to set up a DEV environment on the Amiga otherwise.
Old 10 July 2011, 01:20   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

@XDelusion: You have a PM.
Old 12 July 2011, 06:04   #9
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Thank you kind sir!
Old 27 December 2011, 23:19   #10
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I'm really interested in this, any update or a working .exe?
Old 28 December 2011, 01:54   #11
Amiga1992

Have any of you seen this?
http://fabiensanglard.net/anotherWor...view/index.php

I understand the data files should work fine once they are put in a format the Amiga can understand. I believe the interpreter for Another World already made for Amiga (the original ) would work just fine. Problem would be the sound files maybe...