English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 February 2015, 09:32   #21
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
really good demo, good scroll.I recognized the original game but will let the surprise. thanks guys.
I'm glad you liked it, thanks for trying it!

Last edited by nandius_c; 21 February 2015 at 10:06.
Old 21 February 2015, 14:40   #22
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
With respect, your 'pet peeve' is how many years too late?
Late? Who is making the schedule? I'm on my terms there.

Quote:
You also underestimate how licensing works. The likes of Konami don't just hand out a licence to produce a copy of their work just for a fee, they'll want design briefs and plans and want to know everything, from release structure, to expected sales, and all that stuff.
I very well know how licensing works and you are correct.
I just did not mention it explicitly but it's the reason why I mentioned a "functional prototype". Of course you need to have a full market analysis, production plan and schedule ready when you go meet them.

Quote:
And when you've complied with their every request..... they'll turn it down flat, because it isn't good for their brand.

The likes of Konami don't give a damn about stuff like this so long as you're not actively advertising it far and wide and seeking to make money out of it.
There you are just speculating. And pessimistically so.
They take many other factors into account, if this can appeal to a fraction of their market even if these people don't buy it this could be considered a free marketing campaign, they are fully aware of the appeal of retro gaming as well and if it's cleanly done, respect their brand and doesn't cost them anything, why not? They know what "cool" means, they are not just after the money. SEGA particularly goes after this aspect.

Quote:
There is NO money to be made out of Amiga stuff anymore, thats why Putty Squad got released for free,
We are in full agreement, I said that myself.

Quote:
the ONLY way to make money out of an Amiga title is a Kickstarter campaign, and then, and only then is it worth licencing something, because then you can't possibly be under the radar.

I'd love to finally see Z by the Bitmap Brothers released on Amiga, most of the setups people have now, its perfectly feasible......... I doubt Mike Montgomery would licence it for peanuts though
You very well MAY be right.

But you cannot brush off the alternative without trying first. Assuming success does not necessarily lead to success but doubting success leads to nothing being done at all.
You can try and fail but only those who try have a chance at succeeding.

Edit: my apologies Tony for the Off Topic! I will quickly download and test the demo and will not derail the discussion again I promise!!!!
Old 21 February 2015, 20:08   #23
ovale

Nippon Taste by CopperSky - Amiga demo 2015: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 February 2015, 22:05   #24
Toni Galvez

We have to thanks to this man for record the video of our demo, we release a much better quality of the video at 50fps 720p, with just the real borders of Amiga.

We have official video of our Nippon Taste DEMO for OCS Amigas [ Show youtube player ]

On Pouet http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=65112

Last edited by TCD; 21 February 2015 at 22:06. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 22 February 2015, 05:18   #25
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandius_c View Post
We decided not to keep working any longer in the demo, it started as a scrolling test and it's been several months since that, so... It's time to go on learning while thinking of a new project! Thanks a lot!
Could you tell us why?

You seem to have a functional tilemap engine with 3 ways scrolling (with a copper "split" I presume so easily extendable to 8 ways) which seems like a good base for a shooter (*) so I would assume adding bobs, collision detection would be the next logical step so I'm curious to know why you are not pursuing in that direction.

Also, congratulation for the great effort, it's a great result for a first asm Amiga release!

(*) or a plateformer.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:25   #26
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
Could you tell us why?

You seem to have a functional tilemap engine with 3 ways scrolling (with a copper "split" I presume so easily extendable to 8 ways) which seems like a good base for a shooter (*) so I would assume adding bobs, collision detection would be the next logical step so I'm curious to know why you are not pursuing in that direction.
You are right, we have an 8-way scroll engine which, of course, can be improved in several ways, having into account that it's one of the first "serious" things I did... What I meant was that we are not going to keep on workin on this particular demo but we are aiming at, someday, doing an original shmup for the Amiga and we hope we'll be able to put into practice everything we learn doing these kind of mini-projects. Time will tell!

Quote:
Also, congratulation for the great effort, it's a great result for a first asm Amiga release!
Thank you so much for trying our demo and for your comments!
Old 23 February 2015, 14:10   #27
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Just finally got around to downloading the demo and having a play. If you decide to use what you have learned to make an original shooter, then please keep the vertical scrolling in too. I was pleasantly surprised when the screen started scrolling up instead of left

Other things I liked about it:
1. CopperSky splash screen - Very nice.
2. Intro anim - Loved it. Every game should have one of these. Even a few frames of anim makes all the difference to setting the scene for a game.
3. Graphics/Imagery - Some bits look like what would happen in SOTB met R-Type. Colourful and striking.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future.
Old 23 February 2015, 15:22   #28
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
Just finally got around to downloading the demo and having a play. If you decide to use what you have learned to make an original shooter, then please keep the vertical scrolling in too. I was pleasantly surprised when the screen started scrolling up instead of left

Other things I liked about it:
1. CopperSky splash screen - Very nice.
2. Intro anim - Loved it. Every game should have one of these. Even a few frames of anim makes all the difference to setting the scene for a game.
3. Graphics/Imagery - Some bits look like what would happen in SOTB met R-Type. Colourful and striking.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future.
All credits for the nice graphics have to go to Toni Gálvez, he can give more details about them. The vertical scroll sections are there because the demo, as you know, is based in Konami's Salamander. IIRC not many horizontal shmups in Amiga have vertical sections. In fact, I can only think of Turrican II shmup levels... but probably there are more that I can't remember .

It's encouraging to see people using part of his time not only to try our demo but also to write some words about it, letting us know what you liked or not. Thanks!
Old 23 February 2015, 15:36   #29
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
IIRC not many horizontal shmups in Amiga have vertical sections. In fact, I can only think of Turrican II shmup levels... but probably there are more that I can't remember .
Sam Jordan's StarBirds: http://www.sam-jordan.ch/starbirds/index.htm

Quote:
It's encouraging to see people using part of his time not only to try our demo but also to write some words about it, letting us know what you liked or not. Thanks!
The increasing number of classic Amiga homebrew games is a recent development which I really appreciate. We can still have a lot of fun with our Amigas this way.
Old 23 February 2015, 15:51   #30
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Yes, I came across that game sometime in the last months, but I haven't heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
The increasing number of classic Amiga homebrew games is a recent development which I really appreciate. We can still have a lot of fun with our Amigas this way.
Sure! Sqrxz and Solid Gold are some of the best examples .
Old 23 February 2015, 16:08   #31
Amiga1992

It's a shame you stopped working on this, a port of Salamander for the Amiga would be absolutely amazing. Would kill for that pr Gradius/Parodius.
Old 23 February 2015, 18:17   #32
Toni Galvez

Quote:
All credits for the nice graphics have to go to Toni Gálvez, he can give more details about them. The vertical scroll sections are there because the demo, as you know, is based in Konami's Salamander. IIRC not many horizontal shmups in Amiga have vertical sections. In fact, I can only think of Turrican II shmup levels... but probably there are more that I can't remember .

I am glad that you like the graphics, the intro animation part was modeled and rendered in Lightwave 11 with some colors (I had to be care that fits on 16 colors). I use the cell shader option. Then, later, when I convert the images, they look almost exatly like the original render.

About the ingame graphics, I load the original map from MSX mage and pic the tiles from it, I retouched some details, the brain was the bigger part to improve, I clean a lot of dither and add some colors (I use full 16 colors palette and change the color tones) sometimes, I preffer the colorfull graphics of japanese games. And, I made the map bigger, because MSX has 256x192 and Amiga is 320x256.

About the sound, we have a KSS player where you can turn off some channels in the music, then, we sample the chords, drums and bass from the Salamander MSX theme, then, we obtain the music almost like the original, very nice chip sound. I preffer to avoid the arpegios to make chords, when we can have some small chords sampled, giving the illusion of more channels without CPU or voice mixing.

Last edited by Toni Galvez; 23 February 2015 at 18:24.
Old 23 February 2015, 19:12   #33
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It's a shame you stopped working on this, a port of Salamander for the Amiga would be absolutely amazing. Would kill for that pr Gradius/Parodius.
I think it would be more motivating to the eventual developer if you offered money instead of a human sacrifice.
Old 23 February 2015, 19:38   #34
Toni Galvez

Quote:
I think it would be more motivating to the eventual developer if you offered money instead of a human sacrifice.
But, we do not want problems with Konami, then, we will gonna make games in the same mechanics than Gradius/Salamander in the future, but unther original designs.
Old 23 February 2015, 20:06   #35
Amiga1992

Yeah Toni, that makes absolute sense about the IP problems, although one would think after seeing other Gradius spinoffs made by the homebrew community that they'd be super lax about it.

In any case, as long as you keep at it, I'll be glad to play your games
*And yes, I would pay for such a game, if it's as good as it seems you can make it, so don't worry, no sacrifices needed, Nekoniaow )
Old 23 February 2015, 22:03   #36
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
But, we do not want problems with Konami, then, we will gonna make games in the same mechanics than Gradius/Salamander in the future, but unther original designs.
Oh, I absolutely understand and respect this!
My remark was purely a joke based on Mrs Beanbag Akira's willingness to "kill" for such a port.

Last edited by Nekoniaow; 23 February 2015 at 22:41.
Old 24 February 2015, 16:07   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I don't know what it is, but that "Coppersky" logo is really beautiful, looks inspired by something i'm sure i've seen before, but still looks great.

I'm in agreement with PHX, over recent years we're starting to finally see some promise of what the C64 scene takes for granted, new and interesting software/games for Amiga.
Old 24 February 2015, 16:48   #38
Superman

You guys are very talented and this shows some very good promise.
Old 24 February 2015, 21:59   #39
kamelito
Zone Friend

Nice
@Galahad remind me of something too, Core Design ?

Kamelito
Old 24 February 2015, 22:23   #40
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I don't know what it is, but that "Coppersky" logo is really beautiful, looks inspired by something i'm sure i've seen before, but still looks great.

I'm in agreement with PHX, over recent years we're starting to finally see some promise of what the C64 scene takes for granted, new and interesting software/games for Amiga.
I am so glad that you like my logo, I was looking for some special tones and clouds.