English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 September 2002, 00:40   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Amiga STILL an alternative to PC?

A lot of you die hards on here seem to still be using ACTUAL Amigas for your everyday computing needs (from what I can gather). Is a tarted up Amiga really a realistic alternative to a modern PC? Dont take this as me having a dig at Amiga or defending PC's because Im not. Im just suprised that even now, years after the (commercial) demise of the Amiga, a lot of you still seem to be happily using them without any probs.

What about the fact that everything is designed with PC's in mind these days?
How do you get around this problem?
You can surf the internet with an Amiga yes?
Is this easily done?
Can a top spec Amiga rival a PC?

I ask these questions because Amiga was always my fave computer and I would maybe like to go back to it as my main machine. I have no love for my PC like I did my A500 and it gives me loads of hassle. It performs its task, but is a pain too.
Id love to be a 'rebel' against PC's aswell but Im just not knowlegable enough.... (yet)
Old 04 September 2002, 00:48   #2
Jim

It all depends on what you want to do I guess !

I don't use a Amiga at the moment but I'd rather do too.

I'd like to use my PC as a server/FTP machine and have my Amiga connected thru that to the net.

But I imagine you cannot browse all sites with Amiga browsers.

You can still use Amiga's for many things - writing letters, painting & stuff. The Amiga is still a great games machine, although the kids of today might think it old fashioned.

People in 3rd-world countries use even older computers than the Amiga.

It's not the tool you are using - it is what you do with it. Most people who use PC's don't use 1/10th of the power (except when playing bloatware games). Most people could manage perfectly well on an Amiga if Micro$oft wasn't telling them otherwise.

Old 04 September 2002, 02:19   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, I agree.. depending on for what you want to use a computer, an Amiga can easily do the job.

Heck, I know a guy who´s only using an MSX now...
Old 04 September 2002, 06:18   #4
Amiga1992

As I said in other thread, there are some apps I can't replace in teh PC or in a Mac, so teh Amiga is more than an alternative, it's a need
Old 04 September 2002, 09:17   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Most people who use PC's don't use 1/10th of the power (except when playing bloatware games). Most people could manage perfectly well on an Amiga if Micro$oft wasn't telling them otherwise.
That's an excellent point, Jim. I can't stand watching people spend €1500 on a modern PC when all they want to do is use Word & Excel and play solitaire. I've only had my A1200 till the 4th year of my University studies, and it surved its purpose just fine: Writing reports on Final Copy and Procalc, programming with C and (of course) playing games. I was forced to get a PC because I needed to work on Access.
Old 04 September 2002, 09:51   #6
Pyromania

I use the Amiga for software development, video editing with the Video Toaster Flyer & painting. Can't stand doing developemt on Windows. I am looking forward to the release of MediaPointRTG for Amiga OS 4.0 because I am a big Scala fan but Scala for Amiga has not been updated in years. Scala & Video Toaster [2] are about the only good things on the PC. Mozilla is great as well. Where is Mozilla for Amiga though?
Old 04 September 2002, 10:53   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well I don't use an Amiga, but I bet theres a number of people who prefer it to expensive [but wonderful] Macs, or less expensive but crappy Winblows boxes. Me? I still use Gem Dos
Old 04 September 2002, 14:26   #8
RetroMan

If you don´t care for modern FPS games, you can do all your work with a slightly modified Amiga (with a plain Amiga without HD it´s quite impossible ) AND you can do most things without spendig money for expensive software ! All the good software is there for free (Aminet) and you can find a solution to allmost every problem out there ..... And if you spend a little more money, you can get a high-end Amiga (with 68060 CPU for example) for way less money that you can buy a PeCe these days and can even listen to mp3 and watch movies on it
Old 04 September 2002, 15:34   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Can you burn CD's on an Amiga? Are there File Sharing programs that allows you to download MP3's, movies, etc?
Old 04 September 2002, 15:39   #10
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Can you burn CD's on an Amiga?
Sure There are Programs like MakeCD or BurnIT that will work with many IDE and SCSI Burners out there on your Miggy
Quote:

Are there File Sharing programs that allows you to download MP3's, movies, etc?
There WAS an AudioGalaxy Client available (allthough AG is dead now ) and some guys work on a EDonkey-Client right now
Old 04 September 2002, 15:46   #11
blackcornflake

@Fred: Do you see why we real Amiga owners are so desperate for G3/G4 and OS4? All that raw power on top of all the other good things the Amiga has already. That would be a very good thing.

Will it ever happen? I know not.
Old 04 September 2002, 16:06   #12
Riempie
Amiga freak

What specs do you need to see DIVX (if supported), MPEG movies and play mp3's on an Amiga?
Old 04 September 2002, 16:13   #13
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Riempie
What specs do you need to see DIVX (if supported), MPEG movies and play mp3's on an Amiga?
mp3 (low quality) --> 68040/40Mhz.
mp3 (good quality) --> 68060/50Mhz.
MPEG ----> 68060/50Mhz. or better
DivX ----> Should work fine with at least a PPC 200Mhz.
Old 04 September 2002, 16:18   #14
blackcornflake

My A1200 has an 060 clocked at 75MHz, 32MB and a Voodoo3. MPEG movies run acceptably. I would agree that 060 or PPC was the minimum, really.

OpenDivX has an Amiga version. MooVid (player) has support for OpenDivX.

Edit: Here is a download link: http://www.projectmayo.com/projects/...hp?projectId=8

Last edited by blackcornflake; 05 September 2002 at 01:27.
Old 04 September 2002, 22:05   #15
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Scala & Video Toaster [2] are about the only good things on the PC. Mozilla is great as well. Where is Mozilla for Amiga though?
I can inform you that I read an interview with TEH two key members of TEH Anetscape crew in Amiga Format in 1998. In TEH magazine they showed a working port of Netscape, but all functions where not implemented yet. I suspect they are working hard at the moment trying to implement all the features in TEH Mozilla 1.1 source for the Amiga. With a little luck they will show TEH working version in the latest Amiga Format...

... ehum, just forgot Amiga Format is no more.

TEH suxx!
Old 05 September 2002, 01:29   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
@Fred: Do you see why we real Amiga owners are so desperate for G3/G4 and OS4? All that raw power on top of all the other good things the Amiga has already. That would be a very good thing.

Will it ever happen? I know not.
Thats true. I am tooling around with OS 3.9 and its pretty neat. Will it happen? Well it was supposed to be out last October. Well its nigh a year later. And now they are telling us its due by X-Mas.
But even if it comes out, how many programs will make it ? How many truly Amiga-type games will be written, not yucky peecee clones?
We'll see.
Old 05 September 2002, 05:50   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Thats true. I am tooling around with OS 3.9 and its pretty neat.
*koff*arr me matey!*koff*