English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 16 May 2020, 09:27   #21
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

There are two version numbers, I think this is the latest version, 2.02/2.00c.

The voices and CD music are such an integral part of this game for me, it's hard to imagine playing it without either of them, but that's probably just nostalgia talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberation.png
Views:	157
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	67351  
Old 16 May 2020, 17:51   #22
Matt_H

Testing report: Just tried the WHDLoad beta on FS-UAE emulating an A4000. It looks like it’s coming up in ECS mode rather than AGA. It’s also skipping the intro (and the action/strategy easy/hard option screen)

Edit: this is for the floppy version
Old 25 May 2020, 21:53   #23
Angus
Amiga Games Database

In case it's helpful, here is an extract from the manual:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Liberation will run from any Amiga requiring Workbench 1.3 or above with a minimum of 1.5 megabytes of memory. It will automatically configure itself according to the processor, memory and graphics capabilities of your machine. Where possible it will take advantage of any accelerator boards or other similar upgrades. AGA machine users will notice a vastly superior choice of colours in the game over those available on standard Amigas. This is due to the extended colour pallette on the more advanced machines.

SKIP TO......

The WallMap Creator
When you install the game you can specify whether you want to install the WallMap Creator as well. This program allows hard disk users to have up to 71 different sets of wall graphics during the game instead of the usual 4.

If you say Yes then the Creator is also installed. When you open the Liberation drawer after Installation is complete, you will find the Install WallMaps icon. If you run this you will be presented with a new menu which contains two groups of three options each.

Firstly you can choose to select how many wall sets to remap. This can range from 15 through 27 to the maximum of 71 different types. The higher the number, the higher the amount of hard disk space that is required and the longer it will take. The second group allows you to select the quality of the remap (how detailed the wall maps will be). The higher the quality, the longer it will take to remap. Be warned that if you choose all 71 walls and decide to remap them 'Slow but nice' , the process can take at least 5 hours to complete, depending on the speed of your Amiga's processor. By contrast, the lowest options ('15 walls' and 'Fast but crude') can take only 15 minutes!

Phew. :-)
Old 25 May 2020, 23:53   #24
Matt_H

Oh yeah, I would not want to run the WallMap creator on a plain 68000! When I ran it on UAE, I think with a non-JIT 040, it only took 5-10 minutes to do them all at top quality.

I think it's basically an automated image processor, pulling a base texture out of a compressed data chunk and then warping/skewing/flipping it in various ways to create textures for every viewpoint. Then it does that for each texture, 71 times in all. So there's a lot of number crunching and the more horsepower you can throw at it, the better.
Old 26 May 2020, 09:48   #25
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Makes me wonder, then, if the textures on the CD32 version are the best high-quality version available because the developers created them from a better uncompressed source image before putting them on the CD, or if they're just the same as the Wallmap creator makes on the highest setting on the floppy version.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:51   #26
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Makes me wonder, then, if the textures on the CD32 version are the best high-quality version available because the developers created them from a better uncompressed source image before putting them on the CD, or if they're just the same as the Wallmap creator makes on the highest setting on the floppy version.

Or if they thought that 99.9% of CD32 users will have no accelerator and just 2 megs of chip ram so in actual gameplay a mid range quality would give a better experience?
Old 26 May 2020, 13:59   #27
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Makes me wonder, then, if the textures on the CD32 version are the best high-quality version available because the developers created them from a better uncompressed source image before putting them on the CD
Imo they probably are the best quality on the CD, i think its more due to size rather than performance that they wouldn’t be any larger. Hard Drive sizes on average still were only half the size of a CD and many people still had 20-40mb stock hdds.

To install a number of games at once back then is in comparison like installing 4-5 PS4 AAA games on 1TB drive nowadays, you quickly ran out of room! I imagine the textures on Liberation on CD were the best quality, and as it was the first version released they had to think how to fit this huge game into fewer number of disks as possible.
Old 08 June 2023, 17:24   #28
chunky_tesco

was the whdload for liberation captive 2 completed?