English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 12 March 2017, 18:42   #1
iowtheme

ClassicWB ADVSP and OS39

Hi all

Anyone have a Pink screen with ClassicWB OS39 it will NOT boot-up with my real A1200 ????

Now set-up ClassicWB ADVSP this boot fine BUT only show DH0,DH1,DH2 drive and the forth DH3 show DH3:NDOS this is a 16GB CF card, if I put card in my PC and load WinUae this work fine any ideas

Old 12 March 2017, 19:37   #2
-Acid-

Do you have 3.1 roms in your real A1200? 3.9 will not work at all without them (I think you can use Blitzkick or RemApollo to soft kick them first if you don't).

Second problem looks like you are using the standard scsi.device and need to use an updated one to access the entrie drive using loadmodule command.
Old 12 March 2017, 20:22   #3
iowtheme

Yes 3.1 form amigakit
Old 12 March 2017, 22:16   #4
iowtheme

The version scsi.device 40.12 old, I look in DEVs and there is no scsi.device?

So how do I update to 43.45 is there a install for ClassicWB ADVSP???

Last edited by iowtheme; 12 March 2017 at 22:34.
Old 12 March 2017, 23:09   #5
Pat the Cat
Banned

The "easy" way is to use a 3.z ROM.

The "difficult" way is to cook your own ROM with a different set of devices.

The "middle" way is to add a line or 2 to your startup-sequence to use an upgraded .device or .library. Big ass thread on it here, Thomas Richter was very patient with noob me on this...

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...t=Loadresident

The "middle" way means your boot disk still has to be under 2Gb and use Fast File System, but at least other partitions can be bigger.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 12 March 2017 at 23:14.
Old 13 March 2017, 01:51   #6
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
The "middle" way means your boot disk still has to be under 2Gb and use Fast File System, but at least other partitions can be bigger.
Nope you can use any file system you like as long as it's in the RDB. The entire boot partition does have to be in the first 4gb of the drive though, then you can boot from it and load in the new scsi.device.

To do this you need to add the command loadmodule to your C: dir and a newer scsi.device in Devs: - the filename is not important as you can specify anything you want to when you type the command into the startup-sequence.

You can get loadmodule from aminet or from a classicwb archive, same goes for the scsi.device. Loadmodule is in MyFiles/LargeHD/Tools/ and you can pick a scsi.device from MyFiles/LargeHD/128GBSupport/ I would suggest using version 43.45.

Put the files in the correct places then add this line at the top of your startup-sequence

C:Loadmodule Devs:A1200.scsi.device.43.45 (or whichever one you are going to use).

If using 3.9 you also need to add the option "skipromupdates" to setpatch I think, so add it onto the end of that line in the ss.
Old 13 March 2017, 14:46   #7
Pat the Cat
Banned

Filesystem TYPE is stored in RDB.

The actual filesystem of the boot partition has to be available (stored in ROM) for the system to be able to access the boot partition and start up from it.
Old 13 March 2017, 19:43   #8
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:

The actual filesystem of the boot partition has to be available (stored in ROM) for the system to be able to access the boot partition and start up from it.
That's incorrect. The FS is stored in the RDB too. That's why you can boot from a PFS disk.
Old 13 March 2017, 20:44   #9
-Acid-

Quote:

I've seen a few comments on forums from other people about your replies to questions/posts being utter rubbish, and this is another example of it.
Old 13 March 2017, 20:46   #10
Pat the Cat
Banned

Checked, the filesystem isn't stored in the RDB, but a pointer to a filesystem can be stored in an RDB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_rigid_disk_block

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/RDB

So you can boot off a PFS3 or other filesystem disk, up to the point where the filesystem isn't available (SYS:L directory is corrupted).

On the other hand, if you do use FFS for your boot partition file system, if will be accessible even if the SYS:L directory is corrupted... so I know what I prefer for my boot partition, thanks.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 13 March 2017 at 20:51.
Old 13 March 2017, 21:21   #11
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Checked, the filesystem isn't stored in the RDB, but a pointer to a filesystem can be stored in an RDB.
What is the Add/Update Filesystem button in hdtoolbox for? I'll give you a hint - it's for adding a filesystem driver to the RDB!
Old 14 March 2017, 01:36   #12
sneeker

With 3.9 I think i have to use skipromupdates scsi.device on my real amiga otherwise it doesnt boot..

Then I just use loadmodule and load an updated scsi device and it all works fine.

I'll check tomorrow what my startup-sequence says.
Old 15 March 2017, 23:09   #13
iowtheme

OK gays
this did not solve my problem so now partition it to three drive this work fine
thank All