English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2018, 20:23   #1
andyhants

Turrican etiquette

For whatever reason never played Turrican back in the day but am playing it as one of three current Amiga games now (the others being Lotus 2 & Pinball Illusions).

I'm making (very) gradual progress but currently only getting to world 1-2. ButI currently I don't say Yes to Continue at the end. So my question is, is it generally accepted amongst the Turrican playing community that you do use the 3x Continues in trying to complete the game or not? Seems a bit of a cheat to oldschool me - so like putting an extra 3x 10p's in the arcade machine but getting to keep your last score each time.

Would just appreciate any other views on this .

Ta.
Old 15 February 2018, 20:26   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Old 15 February 2018, 20:34   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's part of the game design to have those continues. And as it is a limited number and the same for every player it doesn't confer an unfair advantage to anyone in particular.

But of course it is more to brag about if you can complete the game on the first credit ;-) I'm not claiming to speak officially on behalf of the Turrican community of course, just giving an opinion...
Old 15 February 2018, 22:01   #4
ZEUSDAZ

Hi Andyhants, I remember when I first bought Turrican 1 back in the day, I always hit a hard wall when reaching world 4-1 (the stage with no music, just creepy sounds), then out of the blue I loaded it up and not only got passed that world for the first time but actually went on to complete it much to my mates annoyance as we were competing against eachother lol.
Turrican II I completed the same day I bought it and I mainly thank Turry1 as it certainly helped me.
What I am saying is enjoy the game and play it frequently, you'll soon learn the game and find you'll get further and further,...just remember to find those hidden lives! ;-D

Here are my two longplays of Turrican I & II (without cheats), I hope you can learn from them and be a Turrican king! ;-D

TURRICAN: [ Show youtube player ]
TURRICAN II: [ Show youtube player ]
TURRICAN II TIPS & SECRETS: [ Show youtube player ]

Zeus.
Old 15 February 2018, 22:56   #5
ransom1122

Use your continues... Explore the area.. There are many goodies to be found
Old 16 February 2018, 00:29   #6
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

The trick is to find all the 1ups. There are loads in the first few stages.
Old 16 February 2018, 10:23   #7
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
The trick is to find all the 1ups. There are loads in the first few stages.
Funny you should say that - about 30 mins after posting this thread yesterday I found a shed load of 1 ups at the top of level 1-2. Ended up with 10 lives ! I'm now up to the dizzy heights of level 1-3 wahey.

I'll do some more exploring clearly from what you guys say there's more to find & if I can extend my runs this way I won't need to 'cheat' with the continues.

Thanks for the replies folks.