English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 27 June 2012, 16:52   #1
Mr B

WinUAE - ClassicWB - CF - Dopus, transfer issue.

WinUAE, ClassicWB_ADVSP_27, Dopus,KGWHD archives, and a 4GB CF. I couldn't really make up my mind as to where on the forum to put this, so it ended up here, in "other".

I'm unpacking, and copying games from the WHD pack, to a folder on DH1.
DH0 is a 1905MB partition, and so is DH1. I've managed to get from 1.9G free to 1.8G free according the Dopus, so i assume it puts me right at the 2GB mark on the CF. But it's just at the beginning of the second partition, it shouldn't be a problem... I think?

So, the issue i'm having then. Sometimes the unpacking process just freeze, and sometimes i get the error message below:

Quote:
DH1
has a checksum error
on disk block 1997165
I'm unpacking BeneathASteelSky_v2.0_CD32.zip/data/disk_11
There seams to be in exess of 3600 files on this folder alone, could this be my issue, or did i forget / miss something stupid simple somewhere?

Yeah, again, sorry, this is probably not the right place for this question, but, i just don't know what part of the forum that would be "right", as soon as there is any indication as to the cause, perhaps we could move the thread to the proper section?

Thank you all for your time.
Old 27 June 2012, 17:08   #2
thomas

MaxTransfer?
Old 27 June 2012, 17:26   #3
Mr B

0x0001fe00

Block size and buffers seam to be default:
block size, 512
buffers 30

Did a bit more testing, i seam to get the same error on the first partition as well, Checksum error on block 2213186, and so on. Can it be the CF card reader? Or the card?

Edit

Ok, so, i guess i should have known. For some reason it's the card reader. I got one of these and while i already knew it has it's own view on the world, this was a new issue.
The card reader for some reason flakes out in the scenario above. However, as luck would have it, i also got a 44-pin IDE to CF adapter, that is intended as my means to hook the CF up in the Amiga. CF in IDE-CF adaptor, Adapter in the 44-pin IDE socket, and point WinUAE to use the darn thing, and it works. It's slower for some reason, but it seams reliable at this point.
/Edit

Edit II
Yeah, that did it. Not quite sure what is up with the card reader, but i feel it's fairly safe to say that it's working with the above workaround in place. Unpacked 300MB worth of games, and while transfers are slower, they just keep on going rather then crapping out on me.
Sorry Thomas, looks like i wasted your time. Thank you for your time and effort.
/Edit II

Last edited by Mr B; 28 June 2012 at 12:57.
Old 27 June 2012, 23:30   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Your link is dead anyway but are you setting up a CF for Amiga use by using WinUAE and then moving the CF to a real Amiga? If so thats my plan and I'd love to pick your brains!
Old 28 June 2012, 01:04   #5
Mr B

Fixed the link.

Anyway, yes, thats what i did. My brain ain't much to pick.
The info is everywhere on this forum. You need a CF, and a way to remove the FAT32 partition on it. My option, i used the Amiga. Hooked it as a second HD, using a toy Brian made for me by modifying his "external" CF adapter.
Anyway. After that, just hook it up anyway you can to your PC, and mount it as a harddrive in WinUAE. From there it depends on how you want to set up your system. I went with a ClassicWB, rather then "just" WB, as i intend to stick a wireless NIC on the Amiga later on.

Look, it's all pretty simple, and loads of threads have been made about it. You need to learn a bit about WinUAE, and you need to look in to the thread about how to run a CF as a drive on a real Amiga. And then stick the two together, and shake a little. It's really simple, when you get the logic sorted. One thing i haven't seen mentioned anywhere. You have to run WinUAE "As Administrator" on Windows 7, i imagine it's also true for Vista. Other then that, good luck. Have any issues, create a thread, and shoot me a PM about the thread. If i can help, i'll jump in, but more often then not, someone else is bound to be faster, and more to the point...
Old 28 June 2012, 01:31   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi have a look at my guides in my sig for cf and winuae
Old 28 June 2012, 09:52   #7
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Fixed the link.
No you didnt.. still dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi have a look at my guides in my sig for cf and winuae
Thanks, will do... I guess like most people I auto tune out all sigs!!
Old 28 June 2012, 10:45   #8
Mr B

Odd, link works here. Refresh the window?
Old 28 June 2012, 12:46   #9
thomas

The link is missing the http:// part. Here is the right one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5...-usb-hub-48081
Old 28 June 2012, 13:01   #10
Mr B

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-dual-sata-1-ide-hdd-usb-2-0-vertical-dock-with-card-reader-usb-hub-48081
www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-dual-sata-1-ide-hdd-usb-2-0-vertical-dock-with-card-reader-usb-hub-48081

Both do the same thing here on my end to. Open it in a new tab, and then refresh the tab and it works. And after that i can open and close the link over and over, and it works, until... I dunno, perhaps it's a cookie that expires or something, from time to time i have to refresh the page, and it works again. I always thought that was due to the HTTPS-Everywhere plugin i'm using, but perhaps thats not the case? That was what i "fixed" in the link the first time, i removed the "https://" part... Guess i should just have left it alone, and told everyone to refresh the new window.

Sorry everyone, anyway, thats the one i got. Don't get it. It's more flaws then benefits. The 44-pin ata to CF adapter is ok tho. Not much that can be screwed up by manufacturing it on the cheap i guess.