English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 September 2018, 18:59   #1
SimonV

Problem between PFS3 and MSH partitions on one disk ?

So here we go.

Intially I had an old quantum of 1gb with wb3.1 and 3 partitions on the scsi of my Warpengine. All working, a bit of mess because it was to test things out but I managed to split the HD in 3 partition. DH0: ffs , DH1: ffs and finally DH2 , an MSH partition where I installed msdos to boot my bridgeboard from with the update DOSserv from the Janustools package.

Never failed on me, worked like a charm: etherbridge, games, AmigaEMS, AMiCDEX, soundblaster ... whatever I throw at it it works.

Ok everything tested so let's put a bigger 18.2 drive with OS3.9 and install the thing for once and for all. First hd had a hardware problem so the problems I got with my MSH partition and pfs3 partitions I layed with the drive. What happened is that when I installed msdos on the 400mb MSH partition ( dh2: ) everything seemed ok until I rebooted and some .info icon files were gone on dh0: from some drawers and maybe other things also that I didn't see. And on the msdos partition the autoexec.bat was filled with strange characters. Put my backup back, same exercise ... same result. Ok let's delete that MSH partition and just make a hardfile and be done with ... NOT, again the same happened. Stunned that installing a hardfile on dh1: has an effect on dh0:

Ok next harddrive ... Again yesterday on one occasion the complete content of my MSH partition was gone and on the DOS side it was like it was never partioned and another time again the config.sys was filled with unreadable characters.

To me it looks like the problem is between PFS partitions and MSH/dos partition somehow although I am not sure. All my partitions PFS3aio and MSH have a blocksize of 1024. IS this correct ? Can't find much about MSH partitions.
Old 03 September 2018, 22:13   #2
thomas

Typical symptoms of a 4GB issue. Two partitons share the same area on the HDD. Write to one = destroy the other and vice versa.

I guess things like TD64 did not exist when the bridge board and MSH were made, so they are not able to access past 4GB.

Put the MSH partition inside the first 4GB of the harddrive, then you are safe.

BTW, FFS has the same issue, depending on its version. Make sure that you use only 64bit-capable file systems on every partition which is partly or completely outside the first 4GB of the harddrive.

And all partitions which are accessed bypassing the file system, like emulator partitions, must be inside the first 4GB of the drive. Otherwise they overwrite an area inside the first 4GB, destroying the data that should actually be there.
Old 04 September 2018, 12:25   #3
SimonV

So ... if I make shuffle MSH dh2 to the beginning of the drive ( now it's in the back ) my problems might be over ?
Old 04 September 2018, 20:34   #4
thomas

Yes.
Old 05 September 2018, 06:41   #5
Dynamic_Computi

I ha e had similar issues with my Sunrize AD516 card - if you try to use it on a 4Gig+ partition is goes crazy.
Old 05 September 2018, 13:25   #6
SimonV

All seems ok now. Thanks.

About an AD516 card ... I suppose you talk hd recording then ?