English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 August 2001, 14:33   #21
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
I hate most 3D games, there are a few exceptions (THPS series =)).
What series are you talking about here? The Tony Hawks Pro Skating series by any chance? Must be pretty good, I might try out the games soon (haven't actually got around to playing them).
Old 27 August 2001, 14:57   #22
Amigaboy

THPS = Tony Hawks Pro Skater, so that's most likely what he's talking about

These games rock if you ask me. I played THPS2 for a week straight, and I finally finished it (this is miraculous since I rarely play games anymore). I think these games are definately worth a look (but I bet I'll be flooded with objections )

Old 27 August 2001, 15:39   #23
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Excuse me, that happened already, without Joe Bloggs getting involved
Dear god, you are bloody hilarious

Quote:
My stance is NOT against 3D games. There are exceptions. As Drake says, today, they make 3D just for the fucking eyecandy, forget about the gameplay, and end up with shite. MOst 3D games are done BADLY. I haven't seen any other 3D roamabouter as good as Mario 64. The rest are arse.
What about Sonic Adventure 1 & 2? They're pretty impressive 3D roamabouters. And Jet Set/Grind Radio is technically considered a 3D roamabouter as well, in some aspects at least.

Quote:
And 3D remakes of old 2D games are the worse disease to happen. They always destroy the gameplay for adding a third dimension in the wrong way.
What, you mean ALL remakes? So you never liked Frogger? Or Pacman World? Or Pitfall 3D? Or South Park? (OK that doesn't quite fit but hey it's a 3D makeover of a well-known 2D show ) What did you think of GBC remakes of old games?

Quote:
And the market flood is what makes me sick of 3D. And teh attitude of the people towards 2D games, even worse. They automatically regard something as crap if the GFX are not 3D. That's what I really hate.
The ignorant 3D-cocksuckers also piss me off as well...
Old 27 August 2001, 17:27   #24
Drake1009

I actually liked the remake of Galaga into 3D, right until it wasn't classical Galaga any longer (When it moved from being 2D like to 3D.
Old 27 August 2001, 17:43   #25
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool 3D Or Not 3D

I'm sorry to disappoint many people here, but 3D is to games nowadays what scrolling was to the Amiga.

The trend in games has been to head towards a more lifelike representation of reality. At the start of gaming, mostly games had abstract images (e.g. Pacman or the Space Invaders) and anything more lifelike was still pretty basic (Battlezone or Star Wars). The wireframe polygons were filled in and textures were later added. Sprites changed from a few pixels of a single colour to become more detailed and with more colours.

With texture mapping there was a 3D explosion of games, which saw many Doom-clones. Most of these didn't make the grade and won't be remembered, in the same way that CD-ROMs meant a whole host of rubbish interactive movies. Also, the Amiga saw a plethora of similar platformers and shoot-'em-ups. Perhaps we have blocked out the bad Amiga games and only fondly remember the good ones, whereas the bad 3D games are still in our memory.

Even though many games utilise 3D these days, there is a great deal of different genres within the 3D umbrella. There are first-person shoot-'em-ups (Serious Sam, Soldier Of Fortune), stealth games (Thief 1&2), action adventures (Deus Ex), soldier sims (Hidden And Dangerous, Rainbow Six), space simulations (X-Wing Alliance), basic shoot-'em-ups (Rogue Squadron), simulations (European Air War), RPGs (Ultima Underworld, Ultima Ascension), god games (Black and White), racing (Motocross Madness, Carmageddon)...

To dismiss all these genres because they are 3D is silly, as that would be a complete generalisation. I've played many PC games and while I don't like the PC and Windows, the games have nothing to do with these.
Old 27 August 2001, 18:02   #26
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
What about Sonic Adventure 1 & 2? They're pretty impressive 3D roamabouters. And Jet Set/Grind Radio is technically considered a 3D roamabouter as well, in some aspects at least.
I have not played Sonic Adventure, so I don't judge it. Personally I think Sonic Team can;t screw up, so they should be mighty fine games. Jet Grind Radio has nothing to do with a roamabouter IMO.

Quote:
What, you mean ALL remakes? So you never liked Frogger? Or Pacman World? Or Pitfall 3D? Or South Park? (OK that doesn't quite fit but hey it's a 3D makeover of a well-known 2D show ) What did you think of GBC remakes of old games?
All those games you mentioned are complete pish. I preffer the original versions tenfold. GBC remakes of old games are sometimes good, because they stuck 2D and kept the essence. They still managed to screw them up, for example, International Karate. It's EONS better on the C64.

I''ll end up saying that THPS seems good. I have tried teh Gameboy Advance version, and it's a VERY recommended buy. As I previously said, it reminds me of Skate or Die

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarret
To dismiss all these genres because they are 3D is silly, as that would be a complete generalisation. I've played many PC games and while I don't like the PC and Windows, the games have nothing to do with these.
I agree. As I said, I do not absh tehm automatically for being 3D, and I do giev games a chance before bashing or praising them. But why do softcos have to make EVERY game 3D, when sometimes it just doesn't fit? It's mostly noticeable in 3D remakes.

What I dislike is this trend you mention of making everything 'more real'... I mean, wat the fuck is real in a blue hedgehog that walks in two legs, running around places and acquiring rings by osmosis? To me, games are not supposed to mimic reality.

Otherwise make a footy game where you keep on yelling the whole match to see if your mates pass you the ball.. And the game should last 90 minutes. THAT is reality Arse.
Old 27 August 2001, 18:24   #27
LaundroMat

Hear, hear!

I couldn't agree more with CJ here.

I'm not trying to diss anyone, because I'm really fond of this forum, but in my mind this 3D games disapproval is a tad too much. While it is true that there's a plethora of shitty 3D games on the PC, there's also a substantial amount of satisfying games (some of them already mentioned above).

Not the 3D-aspect of the games is to be discussed, but simply the fact that game development has become almost the equal of movie production: i.e. money reigns. The studio's don't give a damn whether their release is a quality product or not, as long as it sells. Marketing techniques and sales figures are a lot more important nowadays than before. Studio's will rather fall back on a sure-selling technique than try out something new.

And sometimes, among the mainstream, you will find a true gem of a game. Whether it's a 3D FPS, a 2D platformer, or something completely novel.
Old 27 August 2001, 18:55   #28
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Have I stired up a hornets nest or what?

The only one's who seem to make logical sense are CJ and LaundroMat.

@Akira - Goldeneye is an FPS but have you actually played it? It kicks ass in both single and multi-player modes! Its also one of the rare exceptions when a movie tie-in is actually good! Anyone who thinks Goldeneye is crap must be insane!:hooooo

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are just okay - would of been better if the camera angles weren't so poor. I would rather play the original.

By the way if had actually played Zelda you would realise that there are actually platforms in it. Except they are not always suspended in mid-air.

Basically the game is a roamabouter with RPG bits in it. Its hardly a true out and out RPG.
Old 27 August 2001, 19:56   #29
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombjacker
Anyone who thinks Goldeneye is crap must be insane!
People's tastes differ, and if they do not agree with your view it does not mean they are isane or anything. Does anybody own the absolute and definitive truth? I don't think so.
Old 27 August 2001, 20:06   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombjacker
Have I stired up a hornets nest or what?

The only one's who seem to make logical sense are CJ and LaundroMat.
Now that's an unfair statement. What you should have said is that they are the only ones who see the same point of view as you. I could make the same statement about Akira, since I lean more in the direction he is on. I have played THPS on the PSX and I liked it, however. I just despise games on the PC; they are always lacking something and always feel stiff and artifical. I have tried to adjust that viewpoint so many times. Friends will rave about a game and convince me to give it a look. Every time, it's the same thing. And no wonder. You have to upgrade the bloody thing to meet game requirements so often, it's clearly not a box that is designed for gaming like the others. No wonder it feels so rigid.

I'll stop here, cuz I really don't wanna ramble or rant on this. I reckon nobody visited the link I posted. It's hard to imagine not a single comment on that... (sigh)
Old 27 August 2001, 21:41   #31
Amiga1992

I didn't want to get on about what I read on that eBAy link. Disgusting sums it up.

Really, as Twist says (I forgot to read that bit), people thet agree with you are NOT the only ones with the truth. I am not an automatical '3D games hater', as I said one and a thousand times. Those games that get it right, get my attention, I like them, and all. I have many examples to give.

I own Einhänder for the PSX. And that's completely 3D. And I would own other 3D games, is just that I've been spending money on old systems instead of games.

HEY, Sonic R is 3D. I've got that one too on the Sat. See, you don't seem to be logical. I am keeping the 3D games that I find *FUN TO PLAY*

Please read properly before slaging me head off
Old 28 August 2001, 17:02   #32
Tim Janssen

Unhappy No Inventions anymore but only big bucks

I have read the messages in this thread and it is more about the lack of original playable games than a discussion about 3D.
Check out The scratchware manifesto at Home of the Underdogs: I think many people on this board will agree with the things discussed in that plea.
Old 29 August 2001, 06:36   #33
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, Tim, when we start talking about 3D, the first thing that crosses one's mind is the glut of shitware that the corporate zombies are feeding the braindead masses. Hence the straying of topic (not to be confused with off-topic).

I really do appreciate that link. My guess is most people here who went there probably bailed out before reading it all, since it is a rather lengthy tome. Only a real fanatic would read it all. I did. And at least I know that there are others out there who see the same miserable disease in the gaming industry that I do.
Old 02 September 2001, 16:23   #34
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

My words of wisdom have been misunderstood! I take the middle road. I like all types of games. Graphic tarts are blinded by graphics and fail to see the wonders of 2D and vice versa! One who takes the middle road is not a Lemming! Its the graphic tarts who are the lemmings!