English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 September 2019, 13:01   #141
crazyc

Just to throw a contrary view, I quite like igame.
Ok I am running it on an 060. I tick the favourites option for the games I like so they all come up on one menu and I dont see the mtiie versions.
Old 21 September 2019, 13:27   #142
xubidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Just to throw a contrary view, I quite like igame.
Ok I am running it on an 060. I tick the favourites option for the games I like so they all come up on one menu and I dont see the mtiie versions.

Slightly off topic, but i was wondering what game compatibility is like using an 060 ? thinking of buying the TF360 when its released for the CD32,but it needs to run the games to be any use

Old 21 September 2019, 13:28   #143
crazyc

With whdload I haven't had any issues due to my 060 that I am aware of.
Old 24 September 2019, 13:34   #144
rabidgerry

So Tiny Launcher is an alternative, are there any others?

IGame I could live with but I'm close to 3000 games at the moment and by the time I finish the other letter it will be more so I might try another launcher. Also what is with all the "ALT ALT ALT ALT" after the game titles?
Old 24 September 2019, 14:06   #145
crazyc

You will find that there are multiple versions of the same game in your archives. One might be aga only, one might be the cd32 version, one might be the ecs/ocs version.
When it finds them it basically adds an alt to each duplicate. To see this click on each version and check the properties to see the path of the game.
You can rename them and remove the alts if you want.
I tick the favourites box for my regular games which then shows up in the favourites menu on the right.
Old 24 September 2019, 14:08   #146
crazyc

Also I dont rescan my libraries very often so it's not such an issue for me, and I am using an 060 and scsi not ide so it scans faster
Old 24 September 2019, 14:09   #147
crazyc

I think there are a few alternatives actually, are you using classic workbench? I think there was at least one other with it.
Aglaunch
X-bench

Last edited by crazyc; 24 September 2019 at 14:31.
Old 26 September 2019, 20:27   #148
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
I think there are a few alternatives actually, are you using classic workbench? I think there was at least one other with it.
Aglaunch
X-bench
Yeah that's right I am. I wondered what AGlaunch was lol. I don't have anything in it's letter named directories though. Might mess about with that. Also I'll look for xbench.

Off topic question. Been messing about with the ACAtool which is for the 1233n card and I was playing about with the maprom function which allows me to change rom. Well I got stuck at one point on 1.3 and eventually had to edit the startup sequence from my pc again to allow me to boot to cf card again and bypassing the rom feature. Anyways I set it up to use 3.1 now and the first time I tired this I used a rom file from my kickstart directory. When I was installing classic workbench part of the tutorial was to replace roms that came with the os and that's what I did and then later it was for whdload to use these roms. Well the first rom I picked didn't allow me back into the card unless I soft reset my amiga. From a cold boot it would just bring me to the 3.1 screen. So I then decided to choose this rom file (see picture) where the mouse pointer is hovering over which has RTB at the end and when I selected this I found the Maprom function appeared to be activated and I could now cold boot and soft reset into the cf card. So after all that I was just wondering what those RTB roms are and why are they smaller than those without the RTB at the end.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26 September 2019, 23:34   #149
crazyc

Once you have been at this a bit longer you might end up cooking your own rom.

Cant remember much about the rtb files, although I think I did know once...I think they are kind of links to the roms but cant really remember.
Old 27 September 2019, 14:37   #150
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Well I got stuck at one point on 1.3 and eventually had to edit the startup sequence from my pc again to allow me to boot to cf card again and bypassing the rom feature.
You can edit the startup-sequence file when you hold both mouse buttons on startup and then enter
ed s:startup-sequence
in the Shell window.
Quote:
So after all that I was just wondering what those RTB roms are and why are they smaller than those without the RTB at the end.
Short: They contain the relocation offsets (compressed) of ROM functions if I'm not wrong. Explanation can be found in the readme of this archive: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/skick346
Old 27 September 2019, 19:57   #151
rabidgerry

Thanks for the explanation there.

Turns out I was trippin! The maprom was just ignoring the fact I selected the RTB version and was booting of the 3.1 chips I installed. So I had to select the regular 3.1 rom file which left me with the dilemma of not being able to cold boot into my CF card.

I went to Individual computers support and was told I'm using hacked roms and should buy 3.1.4 from hyperion or cut the reset cable on the IDE cable because my card aint being read quick enough. Even though it is read quick enough by my installed chips. So I have a bunch of other 3.1 roms and I've tried them in the maprom function and of course they are not evening being picked up either. So do I have to name my alternate kickstart roms in order for them to get read or what? I think it's a bit shit if I buy roms and then have to go buy some more just to get an accelerator card feature to work correctly.

Insult to injury, tried accessing my support thread on the Individual Support forum and it appears my Thread was deleted and my user account. So I had to re-register my email and assign myself a new username and start a new thread, how mental is that?
Old 27 September 2019, 23:30   #152
rabidgerry

****Update****
I tried my other CF HD and mapped to a rom file using the ACATool (found a weird one by the number 3.1 (40.69)). I partly chose one with a different name to see if it actually was working and could be identified as being different from the installed chips. So I turned the power supply off. Waited 15 seconds. Booted back up, the card loaded (so that was promising since I didn't have to then soft reset). Went into shell, typed "version internal" and sure enough I got kickstart 40.69 installed. So I assume this is now mapped when I use that HD and there will be some benefit from having the rom mapped to memory on the accelerator, or at least that's what the ACA1233n wiki information suggests.

So my cheapo 16gb HD that I have been using mostly doesn't get detected by the computer fast enough where and requires a soft reset to get noticed when using the maprom function on the ACA1233n and the Kingston 133x 8gb card gets recognised without needing any soft reset.

Is it bad to need to soft reset often? I guess once I do it once I wont need to do it again as I'd be likely turning the Amiga off again, but I'd just thought I'd ask.
Old 27 September 2019, 23:38   #153
crazyc

I think that the mapped rom is accessed faster in use than the hardware one. Also you can then map various roms without changing the actual chips.
I have various upgraded components and libraries in mine for example.
Old 29 September 2019, 17:08   #154
rabidgerry

So yeah I made another HD out of a transcend card I had previously been having issues with so it had been left by the way side for a bit. But since I started using a different CF card reader on my PC (it seems to transfer data at a slower rate) I have been able to copy classic workbench from hardfile over to CF cards from within winua without issue. So I decided to try the Transcend drive in order to test maprom feature with with it. Turns out Maprom works from cold or soft reset without issue. Tried it with Kickstart 40.69 just to make sure it was definitely different from my chips. All good so far. I can probably definitely say now that my initial problem with Maprom causing me to need to soft reset in order for CF card to be recognised was down to the brand of the card.

What is cache and burst btw and where do I enable these? Thanks in advance for answering all my questions.
Old 01 October 2019, 20:13   #155
rabidgerry

In my quest to get Back to the Future Part II (I enjoy it but it has a shit reputation) I was looking up hard drive installation. I went as far as buying the game disk online and successfully installing using the WHD load patch installer thing. Worked treat installing, but given WHD load version of the game doesn't work, my separate instlltion did not work either as it was WHD load that opened the game and therefore suffered the same problem I had before with the initial WHD download of the game - it freezes after a minute.

Then I discovered something called JST. Went as far as downloading JST and I was about to install it when I noticed that my workbench already contained JST within C:.

So I went to my Hard Drive install of the game, changed default program to open with JST. It crashed. Then I went to the WHD downloaded version of the game. Did the same with default program and set it to open with JST. What do you know it worked and didn't crash!!! I was very happy with this. Totally thought my battle was over to get this game up and running!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh but there had to be one catch? I am unable to escape or exit from the game one I am finished!!!!

Anyone ever use JST and know how to exit from games? The game played brilliantly btw but the exiting from the game part is a real annoying problem. Pressed every key on the keyboard multiple times and nothing happened at all. If anyone knows a way to exit the game do share with me! Thanks.
Old 13 October 2019, 22:19   #156
Solo Kazuki

Maybe try to report issue on WHDLoad Mantis bugtracker.
Old 14 October 2019, 04:22   #157
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toples50 View Post
but it's playable at 320x200 res.

I just LoLed my self... Oooops...