English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 August 2003, 19:01   #1
Amiga1992

ethernet card price question!

I found a "Linksys EtherFast LANmodem 56K (PCMLM56)", which is a combo card compatible with cnet.device

The price for this card is 44 US dollars. Is it a good price? Maybe it's more expensive because it's a combo card, but I couldn't find any other compatible card over here (well ,I did find a guy with a compatible 3Com card for 20 dolars, but he has a veeery bad rating and refusesto give me a refund in case the card doesnt work with my Amiga).

Help apreciated. I wanna get my Amiga into the network!
Old 22 August 2003, 19:37   #2
Echo

I've just bought a new one pretty cheap, you should be able to find it - but I haven't yet tested it, took a risk

"Edimax EP-4101 PCMCIA NIC"

£11 or about $17.

Going to configure it tonight, hopefully.

Edit: PDF Spec: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~echo147/temp/edimax.zip
Old 22 August 2003, 20:05   #3
Echo

What the hell. It won't fit in the slot. Can I cut away at the port or something? Argh.

Edit: Hurrah, cut a little plastic off the card with a blade and it fits snugly now. Time for testing...

Last edited by Echo; 22 August 2003 at 20:16.
Old 23 August 2003, 06:53   #4
Amiga1992

be careful if it doesnt fit. Might be a buscard(not compatible). Most 3Coms I tested do not fit the slot.

It's not easy to find these cards over here. so far i only found the linnksys.
Old 23 August 2003, 08:09   #5
Frootloop

See if you can get a Kingston PCMCIA Ethernet card model KNE-PC2T. I'm using it with no problems, currently dumping disks for CAPS to my private FTP site at this very moment.

There's a bunch on eBay, one with "Buy it Now" for $9.75 U.S.

eBay Kingston KNE-PC2T
Old 23 August 2003, 11:12   #6
Amiga1992

Gotta ask for shipping prices and see if it's worth it. Thanks frootbonk! i mean, loop
Old 23 August 2003, 12:29   #7
Frootloop

Stop making fun of my avatar! I gotta admit, I haven't even played much of the game but I needed a quick avatar so I just loaded up the game and grabbed it. Maybe I'll find a new one but I'm kind of attached to the little guy now.
Old 23 August 2003, 14:05   #8
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
be careful if it doesnt fit. Might be a buscard(not compatible). Most 3Coms I tested do not fit the slot.
Is there any way I can identify it as a buscard? I can't seem to get anywhere with it. I'll be taking it to work Wednesday to put in the office laptop, make sure it's working correctly.
Old 23 August 2003, 17:49   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Frootloop
Stop making fun of my avatar! I gotta admit, I haven't even played much of the game but I needed a quick avatar so I just loaded up the game and grabbed it. Maybe I'll find a new one but I'm kind of attached to the little guy now.
Hey I LOVE the Bonk games, it's a fabulous game series

echo: the fact that it didn't fit and you had to force it is a good indicator that it was not compatible :P The 3Com I tried out didn't fit because it was a Cardbus type of card. Dunno the precise technical differences that being "Cardbus" means, but I know they don't work. Why did you buy it if it was not in the cnet.device compatibility list?
Old 23 August 2003, 20:27   #10
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
The 3Com I tried out didn't fit because it was a Cardbus type of card. Dunno the precise technical differences that being "Cardbus" means, but I know they don't work. Why did you buy it if it was not in the cnet.device compatibility list?
"Cardbus" is a 32-bit version of PCMCIA (PCMCIA-III?). It is backwardly-compatible with 16-bit PCMCIA-II cards, but PCMCIA-II slots (ie. that used in the Amiga) cannot use the new 32-bit cards. The shape of the card is slightly different.

As for the cnet.device list, it is getting old - it doesn't include every available card, and includes many cards that are no longer available.
Old 23 August 2003, 23:05   #11
Amiga1992

Yup I found out about Cardbus after a google search and a visit to Farallon's website. I bet Echo got a Cardbus card, and probably he fried it, because he cutted the plastic and inserted it anyway (if what I read is right, the Amiga's port should be delivering 5V while these Cardbus cards work at 3.3V)

Careful with what you do next time Echo, you might fry your Amiga
Old 24 August 2003, 00:28   #12
Echo

Hmm, that plastic notch was there for a reason then. I thought it was just Commodore and their cheapy moulding.

Reason I bought it despite not being on cnet's compatibility list is because I've been looking for true compatibles for ages and never found one. Thought I'd risk a new £12 card on the hope that it'd work.

No major loss if I've fried it.
Old 25 August 2003, 01:58   #13
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
Hmm, that plastic notch was there for a reason then. I thought it was just Commodore and their cheapy moulding.

Reason I bought it despite not being on cnet's compatibility list is because I've been looking for true compatibles for ages and never found one. Thought I'd risk a new £12 card on the hope that it'd work.

No major loss if I've fried it.
But it *IS* a major loss if your amiga is fried.
Old 25 August 2003, 03:23   #14
adolescent