English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 August 2003, 00:27   #1
rattus

Eek Eeeeeek!!!!!

http://exotica.fix.no/

WTF!!!?

Someone please tell me this is some sort of sick joke? why would they shut down ExoticA? What is going on?
Old 31 August 2003, 00:32   #2
Djay
95th User

someone idiot has probably complained that their game music is stored there without permission
Old 31 August 2003, 00:40   #3
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
someone idiot has probably complained that their game music is stored there without permission
Nope, they just put it down, because they protest against new software patents law no need to get upset about it !
Old 31 August 2003, 01:14   #4
Djay
95th User

o i c, what is this new law?
Old 31 August 2003, 10:24   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

The site is still online. Read...

Quote:
To enter this site, click here
Old 31 August 2003, 11:18   #6
Drake1009

Basically the new law would allow you to patent something like "putting large letters in bold describing the text to come below it". You'd know it as a heading and it could probably not be patented. But if someone found a new way with the same basic idea they could get a patent on it. If there hadn't already been made an algorithm to calculate an average someone could patent "adding all numbers and dividing by the amount of numbers" and noone else could use this method of calculating an average.

As far as I heard it's both patenting abstract coding principles as well as business methods.

I can't remember where it was, but there was an american museum's homepage who got contacted by a patent holder. There was a nice mail placed on their page. On the mail was a link to the US patent office with a specific patent which described "dividing a page into 2 parts. One part for the information and one part which allows quick access to other parts of the document, which stays static regardless of the browsing of the text". This my friends is what you'd know as a 2 frame layout, one frame for a menu and one frame for the information on the page.
The mail said that they were infringing their patent by having a menu, and mentioned they were willing to license out their patent so they could continue using the menu for a mere $10,000 a year.

Isn't that nice of them?
Old 31 August 2003, 19:30   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Rattus, fellow Mac o file...another victim...

http://grenier-du-mac.net/

Old 01 September 2003, 10:32   #8
EternalAmiga

I work in the Intellectual Property industry and although I haven't been following the new law in Europe closely I feel I should point out a couple of things:

Firstly, when you apply for a patent it is examined against previous patents, non-patent literature and common general knowledge. This is to prevent patents from being granted which are already "known".

Secondly, the USPTO patents everything for example I can give you a US Patent number which patents a stick.

Thirdly, in the frame patent and museum website referred to previously. It would be fairly straight forward for someone to challenge that patent in court and invalidate it as it is obviously a stupid patent.

Fourthly, the European Patent Office are quite thorough and I can assure you they would not patent rediculous patents like the USPTO.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:38   #9
manicx

All this crap about laws and stuff really pisses me off!
Old 01 September 2003, 16:32   #10
Drake1009

I believe it was the EPO which granted the patent for hyperlinks, even if it was a commonly used thing.
Old 02 September 2003, 06:21   #11
EternalAmiga

I can't comment on the EPO patenting hyperlinks as I don't work for them but they do have a high amount of patents to grant.

Also it may appear they granted hyperlinks but the actual wording of what they granted may be quite complicated. The owner of the patent may have taken a quite liberal interpretation of them in scaring people into believe he held a patent for more than he did.
Old 02 September 2003, 16:31   #12
jmmijo

Ah yes, the old FUD rears it's ugly head once again

Seems that anybody, any company looking for a quick buck is trying to extort money from everyone else. Damn, how come the "general public" no longer counts ?!?

Well, I already mentioned it, MONEY

Damn sick of it I must say
Old 02 September 2003, 18:41   #13
Drake1009

I believe the wording was something along the lines of "embedding and enriching text in a context to allow redirection to related info"