English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 February 2024, 08:30   #1
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Lightbulb What if what if threads had their own forum section?

My last attempt at unifying what if threads failed to gain traction. Since these discussions tend to converge, I assumed that the more generic the topic starter the better. In hindsight it was probably too general, and although people made a good faith attempt at arguing about hardware and software specs the magic was missing.
Here's my new proposal: what is what if threads had their own forum section? That way it would be easy to access all of them, and famous threads like this or this one wouldn't get buried in a see of boring topics. Note that I can't open this section myself, so this is all theoretical, which fits right in with what if threads.
Old 09 February 2024, 09:20   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's bit sad to see how popular these threads have become, but I agree that it is probably a good idea to create a new subforum just for those kinds of threads.
Old 09 February 2024, 09:42   #3
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

But a 386 PC is roughly the equivalent of an Amiga 1200 and the Playstation was launched in 1994 and the AA chipset was 2 years too late and... oh my brain hurts.

Yes, good idea, let's call the new sub-forum "Futile Discussions".

I'm also half convinced that several of the people taking part in the what if threads are actually AI.
Old 09 February 2024, 10:10   #4
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
My last attempt at unifying what if threads failed to gain traction. Since these discussions tend to converge, I assumed that the more generic the topic starter the better. In hindsight it was probably too general, and although people made a good faith attempt at arguing about hardware and software specs the magic was missing.
Are you saying it wasn't a mockery but a genuine thread I thought it was quite surrealy hilarious to watch people arguing there as if it's business as usual.
Old 09 February 2024, 10:46   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

I suggest the threads in the new section would be pruned after a while, like in OT.
Old 09 February 2024, 13:19   #6
oscar_ates

What if threads are the most exciting readings for me in EAB
Old 09 February 2024, 15:42   #7
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

As most of you will know by now, I'm not a great fan of these "what if" scenarios, but their discussion seems to be somewhat healthy and engaging for a good number of people so we should allow them. But, I have an inkling that they are sort-of a fad: they will run out of fuel eventually and die out in consequence. So, IMO, there's no need to for a separate sub-forum for them. Also, while I do commend that there was an attempt at unifying the threads, I knew right there and then that it wouldn't work. I've been around here for long enough to see the same topics come up and disappear in quasi-perfect time cycles. These "what if" threads seem to be one of those cycling themes. If they are your jam, jam away. If they're not, then just ignore them. They will sink into oblivion eventually... only to re-emerge in a few years.
Old 09 February 2024, 15:50   #8
Cris1997XX

No, they aren't healthy discussions and we've seen multiple people throwing shit at each other over this stupid, trivial subject (A certain Hammer comes to mind). If the staff doesn't want to stop these threads, they should at least make a proper section for that
Old 09 February 2024, 17:10   #9
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I suggest the threads in the new section would be pruned after a while, like in OT.
I would not mind moving them to the Off Topic region, if that's more convenient for the majority of readers
Old 09 February 2024, 17:51   #10
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
No, they aren't healthy discussions and we've seen multiple people throwing shit at each other over this stupid, trivial subject (A certain Hammer comes to mind). If the staff doesn't want to stop these threads, they should at least make a proper section for that

We certainly have very different ideas of what "throwing shit" is. I often wonder what has happened to people... I remember times when we were able to disagree and still continue to be friendly and maintain a civil relationship. People don't HAVE to agree with us and different opinions are NOT necessarily offensive. This hammer person you speak of, if he is guilty of something it's of being overly-passionate about this subject. That's all.

Heck, as a GM I have had requests to ban people for the smallest of reasons, "please ban X 'cos he's boring" or "please ban Y 'cos he's a PC fan" or even "please ban Z 'cos he's weird". If I was to ban everyone that I've been asked to ban, we'd be on a very empty and quiet EAB.

No. I guess I won't ban people for being who they are. I will ban them when they violate the rules. Simple as that.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 09 February 2024 at 17:58.
Old 09 February 2024, 19:07   #11
oscar_ates

People can also brainstorm and throw some crazy ideas, it does not bother me
Old 09 February 2024, 19:42   #12
eXeler0

I like those threads, and obviously may have started one or too.
It makes no sense to put the in say OT section. Most of them are very much on topic but usually derail after 500 posts, but that is a different problem.

If they had their own sub-thread, well maybe. Wouldnt bother be... But what I dont understand is why some ppl seem so bothered by their mere existence.. Just dont klick on the thread and you’ll be fine. There must be at least 30,000 threads Ive never clicked on. Its easy ;-)
Old 09 February 2024, 19:53   #13
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Are you saying it wasn't a mockery but a genuine thread I thought it was quite surrealy hilarious to watch people arguing there as if it's business as usual.
That would be an interesting debate in and of itself. If you really want to get meta about it: What if the people who claim to enjoy what if threads are just ironic?
Old 09 February 2024, 22:38   #14
Bren McGuire

exactly this they are not healthy and it's full of nonsense bile and petty fights over fan fiction i don't want to even see them move them to ot or a special ot forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Old 09 February 2024, 22:45   #15
copse

Is it not possible to take a stricter moderation hand with these? Personally, I tend to not even notice these in the recent posts list and mentally filter them out.
Old 09 February 2024, 23:43   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Can I opt out of the What If threads?
Old 10 February 2024, 01:09   #17
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I in general not a fan but didn't Dread start as a what if? Maybe others etc
Old 10 February 2024, 02:41   #18
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
We certainly have very different ideas of what "throwing shit" is. I often wonder what has happened to people... I remember times when we were able to disagree and still continue to be friendly and maintain a civil relationship. People don't HAVE to agree with us and different opinions are NOT necessarily offensive.
I agree there isn't much actual expletive-laden hostility between eab users in these threads (at least compared to what normally goes on the social media), but what gets me personally is the general hate against "other" platforms/games/devs.

If not for that, the what if threads could be actually kinda fun. But the underlying current of ugly tribalism, is rather exhausting, plus the "being passionate", which is mostly fine, often veers into sheer zealotry. This is all quite incomprehensible to me, seeing as we're all old farts now and should be a bit more objective. I mean, when I was growing up I also had firm favourites and liked to argue about them but over the years I learned to appreciate all things from that era - even my old frenemies such as Atari, Xbox, or Mac.

Still, I wouldn't ban these threads or do anything drastic like that.
Old 10 February 2024, 12:14   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I in general not a fan but didn't Dread start as a what if?
I don't think so.
Old 10 February 2024, 13:07   #20
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I agree there isn't much actual expletive-laden hostility between eab users in these threads (at least compared to what normally goes on the social media), but what gets me personally is the general hate against "other" platforms/games/devs.

If not for that, the what if threads could be actually kinda fun. But the underlying current of ugly tribalism, is rather exhausting, plus the "being passionate", which is mostly fine, often veers into sheer zealotry. This is all quite incomprehensible to me, seeing as we're all old farts now and should be a bit more objective. I mean, when I was growing up I also had firm favourites and liked to argue about them but over the years I learned to appreciate all things from that era - even my old frenemies such as Atari, Xbox, or Mac.

Still, I wouldn't ban these threads or do anything drastic like that.

I hear ya. When I first came here back in the early 2010's I was gobsmacked by the simple fact that some old rivalries were still so alight. Much like yourself, I, too, also came to appreciate other systems, even after being a fierce amigan from 1990 to 1994 and reluctantly surrendering to PC after that.

One of the very few benefits of age is having some money and by using it I got to own some of those systems which I secretly always wanted but never got. I even bought an Atari ST and got to enjoy it. It's always sort of odd how some people still hold to grudges for all these decades.

Even though I find it kinda ridicule, I just accepted it because there's nothing I can do about it. Can't go on cracking their heads and changing everyone's opinion to MY liking so all I can do is accept that some people are still very much in the "us vs them" mentality and very "passionate" about their field.

Some people may say that "oh, if I had the ability to ban people like you do, I'd ban the whole sorry lot of them" which is just not the best option. It's one step away from something that I disdain completely: censorship. So I do what I've did before I became a GM: I just let them be. And to be honest, I've learn A WHOLE LOT reading some of their comments and in spite of the - at times - "zealotry" and "field battles", overall the threads are quite benign and those who don't appreciate them should just ignore and bypass them all together.