English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 September 2017, 18:07   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
RTG possible?.
It's made in AMOS

Agreed with PortuguesePilot, if you are targetting 2MB 020, might as well go AGA!
Old 27 September 2017, 18:54   #22
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

What extension supports more colors on AGA? The only one I can think of is the OS extension or the Game extension. If he's using the OS extension or the Games Master System libraries, he would be better off using C or AmigaE or even PureBasic.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
Old 27 September 2017, 18:55   #23
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It's made in AMOS

Agreed with PortuguesePilot, if you are targetting 2MB 020, might as well go AGA!
I think that's a wise idea, although I made an error in calculating my palette and I'll need to re-import all the graphics anyway so maybe I can get away with less colours.
Old 27 September 2017, 19:36   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
What extension supports more colors on AGA? The only one I can think of is the OS extension or the Game extension. If he's using the OS extension or the Games Master System libraries, he would be better off using C or AmigaE or even PureBasic
If you are going to switch, might as well go for Blitz Basic
Old 27 September 2017, 19:50   #25
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If you are going to switch, might as well go for Blitz Basic
I tried installing Blitz about seven times but it just wouldn't take. Something about a bug in the installer and that's mostly why I moved to Amos.

I don't fancy moving to another environment and re-doing all that code either.
Old 27 September 2017, 20:40   #26
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Redblade - At the moment I have it running on a 68020 (no acceleration) with ECS Agnus and 2MB Chip RAM. If I do the same on a 68000 it slows to an unplayable and flickery snails pace. In saying that, it might run much faster when properly compiled and/or my code becomes more efficient than the rather messy pond it is right now, so it may run ok on a 68010 in the future.
Are you just forcing it to the screen buffer or using sprites? It looks real good. Are you running this on a real amiga?
Old 27 September 2017, 20:56   #27
Amigajay

Great start to the project!

One thing I would suggest as others may have, make sure you are happy with language of choice now, nothing worse than 12 months later you find out it's slowing down too much or it can't handle certain things!
Old 27 September 2017, 20:58   #28
DamienD
Banned

Yup, Blitz Basic is probably the way to go over AMOS if you don't have coding knowledge...

If you like I'll provide you with a .HDF + Blitz Basic installed? Just PM me
Old 27 September 2017, 20:59   #29
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Are you just forcing it to the screen buffer or using sprites? It looks real good. Are you running this on a real amiga?
Err... pass haha! I'm still very much in the dark about a lot of the terminology.

I'm just doing it on Winuae. It's easier to switch stuff around to see what runs ok on what settings.

I might just put up a DL of the Amos files so folk can take a look for themselves, but I'm also a little embarrassed about letting people see my terrible code.
Old 27 September 2017, 23:21   #30
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Err... pass haha! I'm still very much in the dark about a lot of the terminology.

I'm just doing it on Winuae. It's easier to switch stuff around to see what runs ok on what settings.

I might just put up a DL of the Amos files so folk can take a look for themselves, but I'm also a little embarrassed about letting people see my terrible code.
Haha can't be as bad as mine, I'm a copy and paste coder or sometimes even ReSource . It looks good and real fast, I'm glad you're having fun on your project.
Old 28 September 2017, 00:02   #31
franeti

Amazing project! Congratulations!
Is my opinion, A500 version for everybody will be great. DDII was great so its possible to make DDI a great conversion.

Next shinobi?
Old 28 September 2017, 11:24   #32
jayminer

I think sharing your code is a great idea even if you think it's terrible, I know how it feels myself but I have gotten a lot of ideas of way to easily optimize and fix stupid things I've done due to sharing my code.

I should release the code of more projects of mine in the future.
Old 28 September 2017, 12:01   #33
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thought I'd share another video of an update.

[ Show youtube player ]

The grab move has been included now, although there are animation glitches with it (which typically, didn't happen in the video) and something's killing the player animation after a throw. The energy bars have some depth issues because Priority On is activated so the player can walk over them. They're bobs ATM but I'm wondering if I can use sprites instead?

I'm using the Amiga background this time and another palette. The colours have taken a bit of a hit, but I still haven't sorted the complete palette out to figure in the colours of all the other backgrounds and all the bobs/sprites. Palettes are something I'm still learning a lot about and will take a while to do in terms of organisation and colour order in regards to what uses what colours on screen.

And yes, I'll set up a download pack with the Amos file in in and all the image/sound banks so that everyone can have a look at it, but really, it's just a lot of IF statements and not much else.

Cheers!
Old 28 September 2017, 12:11   #34
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I wouldn't use bobs or sprites for the energy bars if they don't need transparency. Use either icon paste or draw them manually. Icon drawing commands in AmosPro are twice as fast as bobs.

Old 28 September 2017, 12:24   #35
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
I wouldn't use bobs or sprites for the energy bars if they don't need transparency. Use either icon paste or draw them manually. Icon drawing commands in AmosPro are twice as fast as bobs.

Good call, icons are something I've not experimented with yet.

I did actually try to just draw a filled single bar with an outline using the "Bar" and "box" commands for the energy/life/health whatever you call it, but it really slowed the game down to a crawl. The same happens with text as well. I might have been using it wrong though. EDIT: The bars and boxes work ok when drawn outside the main loop, it's only when in there that it slows the game down. Not sure how the energy variable linked to the right hand side of the bar can be updated that way though.

Last edited by Brick Nash; 28 September 2017 at 15:30.
Old 28 September 2017, 16:10   #36
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

For Bar and Box and other use the AMCAF oder TURBO Plus Extension for AMOSPro, thats the better Choice.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 September 2017, 19:21   #37
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

AMCAF overwrites the AmosPro runtime library at install time. Future updates to AmosPro will be incompatible with it. If you can find TurboPlus, try it instead.

Old 29 September 2017, 00:50   #38
trydowave

Is there no chance of an ecs version? Is it.a case of taking to much time squashing it into the limited memory rather than being impossible to do?
Old 29 September 2017, 10:50   #39
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
Is there no chance of an ecs version? Is it.a case of taking to much time squashing it into the limited memory rather than being impossible to do?
It was more about speed than memory to be honest. I was running my uncompiled tests from Amos itself and anything below an A1200 would just grind it to a halt, but Dan made a compiled adf of what I have and it actually runs reasonably smoothly (albeit still a bit slow) on an A500 OCS.

If I can make my code more efficient and a bit faster then there could very well be a version for all Amigas. This is providing that it runs ok with a minimum of maybe three enemies on screen of course. I'm trying my hand at re-coding animations with Amal and seeing if that might speed things up a bit.

If you want to try it out or even look at the code then I posted a DL in the Coders Amos section and in that thread you'll find Dan's adf download further down.

There's not much to the game right now mind you. It's only one screen and the enemy doesn't fight back but it's fun beating the shit out of him for a few minutes.

Last edited by Brick Nash; 29 September 2017 at 11:07.
Old 30 September 2017, 00:09   #40
idrougge

Quote:
AMCAF overwrites the AmosPro runtime library at install time. Future updates to AmosPro will be incompatible with it. If you can find TurboPlus, try it instead.
That's a bit of an academic problem, isn't it?