English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 April 2014, 22:15   #1
Hillsy_

CD32 Pad Reverse+Forward+Run Reset Game Problem

Hi All,
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I keep resetting the game back to the menu for games like Battle Squadron, Hybris and possibly Alien Breed 3D in the future. Really, really frustrating...

Please could you implement this as an option, as I keep triggering the reset on those games mentioned above. Can we disable it?

I use a two button Joystick and the second button when moved up and down, or down and up is causing the game to reset everytime.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 16 April 2014, 16:01   #2
Psygore

Which controller are you using ?
Old 16 April 2014, 18:52   #3
Hillsy_

I am using a 6 button Sidewinder controller (Direct Input) device and whenever I use the smart bomb in Battle Squadron, most of the time when I move up and down whilst firing the smart bomb causes the game to reset back to the main menu. It happens with Hybris too. The reason being, I am dodging bullets whilst firing the smart bomb, which when moving up and down/down and up causes the game to reset. Can you make it an option when the WHDLoad menu appears? A chance to enable or disable it. I understand it is for CD32 owners, but it is frustrating for an A1200/A600 setup. I have to go back to v1.5? v1.5.1? of the WHDload game version which doesn't have all the latest fixes applied.
Old 17 April 2014, 14:25   #4
Psygore

Did you play it with WinUAE or a real amiga ? your controller has been modified ?
I could add a switch option for CD32 buttons features at least.
What do you mean with 'it is for CD32 owners', CD32 joypad works with all amiga.
Old 17 April 2014, 18:51   #5
Hillsy_

I have only an A500 now. I played this on WinUAE. The controller has not been modified. I remember a while back, a person mentioned to add a reset combination to the Battle Squadron game on the CD32. This was also added to a number of other games such as Hybris etc.. The reset button works, but it works on a standard two button controller too. If I press the second button to fire the smart bomb, then move around, to dodge the bullets; the game will reset back to the main game menu screen. It doesn't matter what controller I use, if the controller has two buttons, the result is the reset back to the main game menu.

The option was introduced in Battle Squadron v1.6 or v1.6.1 WHDLoad.

I'm surprised nobody else hasn't had any problems with it.

It would be nice to have an option to disable this, as it causes problems when playing the game with a two button controller.
Old 17 April 2014, 19:36   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygore View Post
Did you play it with WinUAE or a real amiga ? your controller has been modified ?
I could add a switch option for CD32 buttons features at least.
Better yet, adjust the CD32 joypad routine so that any time it thinks all buttons are pressed simultaneously, it drops down to a simple 2-button joypad mode.

(A CD32 pad communicates the button statuses on Joyport pin 9, clocked using pin 6 - so if the second button of a 2-button pad is pressed, a CD32-pad routine will think all 7 buttons are pressed [except for corner cases where the button's pressed or released half way through a read.])
Old 17 April 2014, 19:49   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Detection is even easier, CD32 pad last bit ("8th button") of shift register is hardwired to not-pressed state, if "9th" or later "button" is read, always pressed state is returned.
Old 18 April 2014, 23:21   #8
Psygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Better yet, adjust the CD32 joypad routine so that any time it thinks all buttons are pressed simultaneously, it drops down to a simple 2-button joypad mode.
It's already included into my slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
[except for corner cases where the button's pressed or released half way through a read.])
Yes, it seems thats the problem. I tested it with a megadrive pad, sometimes it thinks it's a CD32 pad when the 2nd button is quickly pressed many times.
Old 28 April 2014, 20:48   #9
Psygore

@Hillsy_
I uploaded in The Zone a fixed slave for Hybris. Could you test it ?
Old 02 May 2014, 15:51   #10
Hillsy_

Hi Psygore, I'll test it. I have a sidewinder and Saitek controller, just give me alittle time.

EDIT: Yep, no problems working fine. Button One is Fire, Button Two is Smart Bomb. Doesn't reset for me, good game.

If you could implement Button Three for when you separate the ship would be useful. Currently the <ENTER> key.

Last edited by Hillsy_; 02 May 2014 at 16:58.
Old 04 May 2014, 21:14   #11
Psygore

Thanks for testing.
I uploaded a new beta 3 for the 3rd button to expand the ship.