Old 26 February 2002, 08:14   #1
utri007
mä vaan

Nokia is new Amiga partner

http://www.amiga.com/corporate/022202-nokia.shtml
Old 26 February 2002, 09:31   #2
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Oh, brother. So many thumbs in the proverbial pie...

At least Nokia has a modern, favorable reputation, unlike Sharp. It has become obvious that Amiga has turned into *the* premier gizmo, gadget, and novelty electronic company. (Hanging around Sharp too long, I guess).

Ugh. Sorry if this is sounding like a troll, that isn't what I am trying to do here. Just after watching Amiga piss away it's brand name developing hardware/software that will be obsolete before it hits the shelves (if it ever finds it's way to the store shelves, that is) has become such a redundant routine that it has become trite.
Old 26 February 2002, 20:12   #3
Amiga1992

This is shite. Screw amiga. They ain't representing my machine or what I feel for it. Theyare now PDA developers, or some such nonsense. I dont like this.

Amiga, as I know it, has been dead for long now. It only stays alive among us real Amiga users.
Old 27 February 2002, 01:15   #4
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
This is shite. Screw amiga. They ain't representing my machine or what I feel for it. Theyare now PDA developers, or some such nonsense. I dont like this.

Amiga, as I know it, has been dead for long now. It only stays alive among us real Amiga users.

My sentiments exactly... Amiga Inc lost the plot a long time ago, so much in fact that they probably should get a name change and leave the amiga name be remembered for what it was "The best machine ever" and not tarnish it with stupid PDA stunts..
Old 27 February 2002, 01:41   #5
Djay
95th User

the Amiga for me will allows be this......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1200.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1925  
Old 27 February 2002, 08:21   #6
utri007
mä vaan

Will see

Give the change to AmigaOne and OS4, but as I've said Amiga is a hoppy not a computer.

YEs I know there has been lot of promises a new amigas and so on... true Amiga fans has been disaponted 100000 times

Hope that is not too late for AmigaOne
Old 27 February 2002, 18:40   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

Sadly with the demise of the original CBM,we saw the demise of the Amiga with it. For all their faults, CBM(at it's strongest), was a computer company that had a worldwide presence,something which none of these pretenders have had since.
No R&D/Sales for over a year during the collapse proceedings killed off any future it might've had.
Old 27 February 2002, 22:31   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I don't understand it. I don't. The tech specs for the Amiga One are a joke compared with the latest, or even 2 year old Macs and Windows based PC's. But, it seems that's ok, since Amiga OS is efficient and clean codewise, with great multi-tasking.
But one thing is obvious. If there is indeed a new Amiga, 3rd party support will be sparse indeed. Amigans would rely on good ol apps and PD apps to get thru, and a select few companies. Thats a sad state of affairs, that a legendary OS is not seen as "profitable" by the software and gaming houses.

I am totally in agreement with Akira and Miggy. Keep the a 1200 or such, keep the name respectful. Or use WinUAE, WinFellow, Amithalon, Cloanto, AIAB, Burseg Face Amiga ( @Burseg )...thats the way to go. But new hardware? A sad joke. 2 years in development, and everyone gets excited over a working Amiga One? Oooooooooooooo

Oh, and this snippet from the article was hilarious indeed LOL!!!

"Today Amiga continues leading the way in multi-media...."

:laugh :laugh :laugh
Old 28 February 2002, 02:32   #9
Korodny
Zone Friend

I know I'm looking much like a notorius BAF (blind Amiga follower), but I can't resist

>> But one thing is obvious. If there is indeed a new Amiga, 3rd party support will be sparse
>> indeed.

There *are* small(ish) companies searching for alternative markets apart from Windows, as
competing on that system becomes increasingly harder every day.

Of course we will not have a booming software market in three months from now on. But the Amiga
desktop market is a commercial market - Amiga users are willing to pay for software (some of
them, sometimes . Linux users aren't, that's why there's practically no commercial software
available for them. Sales figures for games ported from Windows are actually *higher* on AmigaOS
than on Linux.

Want examples (small companies offering Amiga versions)?

- Pagestream / Grasshoppers LLC (Windows/Mac/Amiga)
- Papyrus / ROM-Logicware (Windows/AtariST (!)/Mac (soon)/Amiga (soon))
- Realsoft 3D / Realsoft (Windows/Mac/Amiga (soon))
- Motionstudio / Motionstudios (Windows/Amiga (soon))
- Prostation Audio (Windows/Amiga)

Porting Opera to the Amiga was already started. Got cancelled when Gateway "abandoned" AmigaOS
in favour of "AmigaOE".

>> Amigans would rely on good ol apps and PD apps to get thru, and a select few companies.
>> Thats a sad state of affairs,

Amigans don't have to rely on PD now, and they won't have to do in the near future. Basically,
the Amiga lacks a good up-to-date browser (a yet to be announced team is already preparing a port
of the Gecko engine), support for proprietary file formats (Sorensen, Flash, RealMedia, WMF -
that's a real problem that will hopefully get less of a problem if that DE thingie takes off) and
a decent Office suit (Papyrus is getting ported atm, another yet to be announced team works on
OpenOffice).
Old 28 February 2002, 06:46   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well these are nice, but did ANYTHING you say contradict what I said? No. Sparse, by Windows and Mac standards, and even Linux standards. Linux is far more ubquitous now than Amiga OS. Look at any computer book store and that will show you. How many Winows, Mac and Linux and Unix books, manuals and the like are there? Tons. Amiga? I should say Its a sad state. Sparse.
Sparse.
Sparse.
Its an extremely tenuous thread , to depend on Amiga DE, and Flash and the like being made to run on an Amiga browser, if if if ifif..Blech.
Old 28 February 2002, 10:49   #11
utri007
mä vaan

No AmigaOne tech specks are not joke, or explain why??

Buss is 133mhz prosessor is 600mhz G3 (or what you want) and AGP-slot.

And talking about AmigaOS4.0?? It's impossible now, I haven't see it.

Will see
Old 28 February 2002, 11:48   #12
utri007
mä vaan

AmigaOne tech specs

AmigaOne tech specs are quite same as The PowerMac G4
(Quicksilver 2002) bus speed, available cpus,,,,,

But The PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver 2002) is not LOW EDN Apple and Low end AmigaOne has G3 cpu. Check prices

Low end Apples like iMac has only 100mhz bus, so I ques AmigaOne more near Quiksilver 2002 than iMac
Old 28 February 2002, 12:07   #13
utri007
mä vaan

*AmigaOne

CPU speed concerns - G3/G4 to their current clocking limits

Memory speed concerns - 133MHz

Provision of integrated peripherals - 2xUSB (motherboard) + 2 more on headers; LAN; AC97; MC97; UDMA100

Provision of legacy peripherals (FDD/Serial/Parallel/kb/mouse) - On board

AGP speed - 2x

*iMac (Flat Panel)

CPU speed concerns - G3/G4 to their current clocking limits

Memory speed concerns -- 100 Mhz

Provision of integrated peripherals - 3xUSB

AGP speed - 2x

iMac prize is 1299$

AmigaOne price is (Just mother board + cpu) 500$ so you still have 800$ to get Nice tower+psu, display adapter, hard-drive, monitor, cd, floppy, keyboard, mouse,,,
Old 28 February 2002, 17:54   #14
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Frederic:

>> Well these are nice, but did ANYTHING you say contradict what I said?

The part of your posting that caught my attention was "Amigans have to rely on PD".
That's simply not true.

>> No. Sparse, by Windows and Mac standards, and even Linux standards. Linux
>> is far more ubquitous now than Amiga OS. Look at any computer book store and
>> that will show you.

No need to discuss that. If I need assistance or want to buy Software/Hardware I simply
call/visit my preferred Amiga dealer.

>> Sparse.
>> Sparse.
>> Sparse.

Okay, that seems to be really important to you ;-) Let's agree on "sparse but not
too sparse"?

>> Its an extremely tenuous thread , to depend on Amiga DE, and Flash and the like
>> being made to run on an Amiga browser, if if if ifif..Blech

The only "if" in my posting was "if DE takes off". I don't understand your negative
attitude towards AmigaOS. There are people who want to continue using it, what's the
problem with that?

As Utri pointed out, the AmigaOne specs are far from being "a joke". I'd call Windows
(any version) a joke. MacOSX is one hell of a bloated piece of a *nix window manager
and Linux is a decent OS, but nothing I'd want to have running on a "home computer" /
desktop machine.
Old 28 February 2002, 19:16   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I have full respect for Amiga OS 4. I have done my research. But fact is: support from 3rd party will be VERY SPARSE, hence people in general computer buying public will not flock to the Amiga One, hence it will do poorly, and the cycle begins. qucik , putrid death. Or a slow, stagnant one.
My problem is with the HARDWARE, not the OS! Oh, and Utri..yes, those are pretty hardware specs..but this is my point..by the time Amiga One.. LOL...gets released, those specs will be outdated and passe'. Keep dreaming guys.
Hey, if any of youse want to buy an Amiga One..I got a bridge here in Brooklyn you'd might like to buy.
Geez. I ain't even going to bother.
Oh and if you are going to quote, get it right, Korod...You said I said this:
"Amigans have to rely on PD".
Now scroll down, read what I said, and eat crow.
Old 28 February 2002, 20:41   #16
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Frederic:

>> I have full respect for Amiga OS 4. I have done my research. But fact is: support
>> from 3rd party will be VERY SPARSE, hence people in general computer buying public
>> will not flock to the Amiga One, hence it will do poorly, and the cycle begins.
>> qucik , putrid death. Or a slow, stagnant one.

The Amiga was doing fine until about 1996. The size of the community allowed commercial
developers to survive, there was a substantial number of Applications regularly updated.

Nobody says that the AmigaOne is aimed at the "general computer buying public". It's
aimed at current Amiga users and people who left the platform in the last few years.

The target is to establish a market that lets developers make a bit of money. *That's*
a fact. Claiming that it will fail to do so is just speculation.

>> My problem is with the HARDWARE, not the OS! Oh, and Utri..yes, those are pretty
>> hardware specs..but this is my point..by the time Amiga One.. LOL...gets released, those
>> specs will be outdated and passe'. Keep dreaming guys.

Now it gets funny. You *are* aware that there are other AmigaOne machines than the
one from Eyetech, aren't you ? Ask RetroMan for his favourite AmigaOne compatible machine..

>> Oh and if you are going to quote, get it right, Korod...You said I said this:
>> "Amigans have to rely on PD".
>> Now scroll down, read what I said, and eat crow

"Amigans would rely on good ol apps and PD apps". Still not true.
Old 28 February 2002, 20:55   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Old 28 February 2002, 21:39   #18
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny

The Amiga was doing fine until about 1996. The size of the community allowed commercial
developers to survive, there was a substantial number of Applications regularly updated.

Nobody says that the AmigaOne is aimed at the "general computer buying public". It's
aimed at current Amiga users and people who left the platform in the last few years.

The target is to establish a market that lets developers make a bit of money. *That's*
a fact. Claiming that it will fail to do so is just speculation.
Sure. Even the most obtuse individual would realize that a company manufactures products to make a profit. However, I take from your assertions that the AmigaOne is aimed at ex-Amigans and not intended for the mainstream? I find that a bit silly, but not surprising considering Amiga INC's recent conduct and foolish business philosophy.

Aiming for current Amiga users and those users who have left the fold over the last few years almost insures unprofitability. However, this is simply Amiga INC. (and their advocates) being consistant- Aim low.

I wish all current Amiga users the best, though. They all seem to be blissfully optomistic about Amiga INC. despite all of their broken promises and false claims.

Good luck.
Old 28 February 2002, 22:32   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by APFelon

I wish all current Amiga users the best, though. They all seem to be blissfully optomistic about Amiga INC. despite all of their broken promises and false claims.
Not me. I think real _Amiga_ enthusiasts, have not paid attention to what Commodore/Amiga said since... let's say 1998.

IMO, real _Amiga_ freaks like the machine, not just a brand. It's about the machine the Amiga is, and what it means, not how it's called man! it could be called Bananas, I dont care. Amiga now is just a brand. I agree with miggy, they should let it rest, but NO, they won't... Why? Because of the BAFs (nice one Korodny ) who would buy anything that says Amiga... Believe it or not, the brand sells, it's got a stable, VERY loyal bunch. That's why the Amiga brand stood time.

My 2,000,000 pence
Old 01 March 2002, 00:48   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmmmm......

I have been following this thread, and my reply to it (or contribution) is my own feelings and I am not necessarily attempting to criticise others... so here goes.

Back in 1993-94 when the shit was really going down (when Escom didn't have damned clue what they were gonna do!), I alike many others felt the same, that the Amiga should not change, but evolve from its present form.

Today, my view could not be further removed from that viewpoint.

Some people have a very set view on how the Amiga should be, because they base it on past computer history.

I am not interested in history before C64:

First there was Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64... Atari and Amstrad had an attempt which ultimately failed.

From 8bit we went to 16bit, Atari ST and Commodore Amiga, blah, blah, you know the rest.

For nearly 15years, there is this notion that there HAS to be a truly affordable 'home' computer, and all of those machines fitted that perfectly in their time.

but unfortunately, the computing world has changed. Computer manufacturers cannot afford to produce their own graphics and sound hardware anymore, and more to the point, they don't have the resources to compete against the graphics hardware manufacturers that solely fabricate these devices.

Think long and hard now...... With the exception of the C64 and the Amiga, every other computer or console (maybe a very slight exception to half the hardware in the Atari 800XL) was bought off the shelf hardware.

Sega Megadrive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Atari ST, etc, etc, etc........ its all bought in hardware manufactured by specific graphics/sound hardware companies.

the point? Amiga are doing the sensible thing..... they CANNOT compete with the likes of Matrox or Creative or any other hardware manufacturer........ and neither could Sega and look at the state of them now?

Sega didn't make ANY money selling consoles, they made money on the software, this is a FACT!

Sony lost money on the Playstation hardware for two years, because they made money on the software.... now you know why software companies had to pay exhorbitant prices for their licenses!!

In 1982, one of the biggest computer companies, one of the biggest companies in the world was IBM......... Microsoft was tiny in comparison.

Today in 2002, Microsoft dwarfs IBM. Microsoft is now in a good position to enter the hardware arena with the X-Box, and the brand name association with Microsoft won't do it any harm, despite peoples protestations about their software and bugs!

Amiga Inc is being VERY wise and VERY shrewd. The fact that AmigaOne is not quite as powerful as a Mac or a PC is TOTALLY irrelevant! The whole point about the AmigaDE is that it is far leaner than anything the PC or Mac currently 'enjoys', so in relativity, the power of the proposed AmigaONE is about right.

The other thing to remember, is if you don't like the hardware specs... like the PC and Mac, you can simply stick another card in there, and whilst this slightly goes against the grain of normal Amiga traditions (squeeze the most out of the hardware that you can), its necessary.

If this system gets off the ground and people get to prove their coding skills with AmigaDE, the same program written in AmigaDE that may also exist for PC and Mac will require far less resources that those versions to be of the same speed and functionality.

Does the PC and Mac owner have to be convinced to chuck away their hardware to see the benefits? No, they simply install the AmigaDE, ALONGSIDE Windows and MacOS and they can see for themselves.

Shit, its a lot harder to convince people to buy new hardware than it is to buy new software!!

Amiga coders for the most part relished getting as much from the hardware as they could, and their coding skills in getting a lot of action from a small amount of RAM is well documented. With these kind of programming traits, the AmigaDE will be less hassled, because the code will be leaner, far more optimised, you get the picture.

The Amiga OCS/ECS/AGA series of computers are fine computers and people are still getting great use out of them... but lets be honest, the very hardware that was such a revelation all those years ago is now holding the machine back!

40Mhz blitter was fast in 1985, but the same speed blitter in a faster A12oo with more bitplanes and colours....... thats just plain fucking stupid!!!!!

When the A12oo came out, 16bit soundcards with many more than 4 channels were the norm on the PC..... what did the A12oo get? SLightly cleaner sound and the ability to hear all the sound channels playing if one of the audio leads was pulled out!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like the A12oo, people have got some amazing results out of it, but that was ten years ago when it first came out, people have done as much as they can with a base A12oo.

The concept of the 'home' computer has changed. The concept of a totally original machine has changed, most of the names that we all associated with being big, mighty, unstoppable, are either bust, dying or on the verge.

For those that knock the concept of the AmigaDE, look a little further, whilst it may sound a little trite right now, the world of computers is changing so fast, that software like the AmigaDE (or something like it!) will be the winners. The AmigaDE is not reliant on any one piece of hardware..... if Apple goes down, the AmigaDE is already written and working for other platforms..... if I decide to sell my iMac, I don't have to practically give away my entire software collection, because as long as I have AmigaDE and the software utilises AmigaDE, I can simply use it on my next hardware purchase.......

Your opinions are your own, and I felt exactly the same... times have changed, the concept of the computer has changed..... maybe its time some of you considered that change....... the only alternative to that is that by 2010, everything will be Microsoft!

Slightly more than 2 pence worth I think, your normal programming resumes after this small break!