English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 September 2010, 19:41   #1
Thorham
Computer Nerd

List your favorite text editor.

List your favorite text editor for the Amiga here. I want to know what everyone is using, and why

Mine is FrexxEd (free, open source). Powerful right out of the box, and insanely configurable through it's script language FPL which is 99% C (if you know C, then you know FPL). If some feature you need or want is missing, just write it yourself in FPL. The possibilities are almost endless.

So, what about you guys?
Old 24 September 2010, 19:42   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Still CED for me.
Old 24 September 2010, 19:46   #3
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoram
List your favorite text editor for the Amiga here.
None of them

Sorry, I'm just too used to bigger displays, better resolution, drag and drop editing, column mode editing, syntax highlighting, easy multi file editing and on and on and on of a modern text editor...

...say UltraEdit for example.

Now I'll just wait for people to tell me all of this is available on some Amiga text editor - but I still won't change
Old 24 September 2010, 19:56   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Sorry, I'm just too used to bigger displays, better resolution, drag and drop editing, column mode editing, syntax highlighting, easy multi file editing and on and on and on of a modern text editor...
Hmm, that column editing business that UltraEdit offers sounds nice! Gonna try to implement it in FrexxEd.
Old 24 September 2010, 20:00   #5
Leffmann

There are probably better editors on the Amiga today, but back then I always used Cygnus Editor. On the Mac I use SubethaEdit and on Windows I use Programmer's Notepad.
Old 24 September 2010, 20:00   #6
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoram
Hmm, that column editing business that UltraEdit offers sounds nice!
It really is Thoram!

If I want to put say, for example, dc.w in front of a thousand lines of text then I can do it with a couple of mouse clicks and typing dc.w just once.

Comes in *very* handy.
Old 24 September 2010, 20:04   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
If I want to put say, for example, dc.w in front of a thousand lines of text then I can do it with a couple of mouse clicks and typing dc.w just once.
Nothing a macro in ASM-One/Pro couldn't do. But I agree, UltraEdit rocks.
Old 24 September 2010, 20:04   #8
Leffmann

Yeah I agree. Some programmers swear that copy and paste editing methods and column editing is error prone, but I think it's a must.
Old 24 September 2010, 20:43   #9
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Indeed, and I've already implemented the basics of that. I just can't insert text+numbers yet, and I have no trailing zeros for the numbers, either. It's not super fast, but still very usable (although it doesn't exactly insert anything, it currently just writes out a table into the text).

The main challenge (perhaps it's easy, I don't know) is UltaEdit's column mode, which does a lot more than inserting columns, but I don't know if it's needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Nothing a macro in ASM-One/Pro couldn't do. But I agree, UltraEdit rocks.
It's nicer to have a nice window pop-up which allows you to enter a string/number/both (FrexxEd allows you to make that very easily)
Old 24 September 2010, 20:58   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It's nicer to have a nice window pop-up which allows you to enter a string/number/both (FrexxEd allows you to make that very easily)
Of course, I totally agree on that. However, one shouldn't underestimate the "create macro" feature the editor of Asm-One/Pro offers (if you never used it, try right amiga + , which will allow you to create a macro), I often used it for kinda repetitive tasks.
Old 24 September 2010, 21:18   #11
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Of course, I totally agree on that. However, one shouldn't underestimate the "create macro" feature the editor of Asm-One/Pro offers (if you never used it, try right amiga + , which will allow you to create a macro), I often used it for kinda repetitive tasks.
Is it as powerful as CygnusEd's macro functionality? As you probably know, CygnusEd can put anything in a macro, such as menu options, and different search/replace strings.
Old 24 September 2010, 22:11   #12
HonestFlames

For text... CygnusED, all the way. It's fast, powerful and lightweight. Everything an editor should be.

For code... GoldED. Syntax highlighting isn't just eye-candy, it's damn useful.
Old 27 September 2010, 02:56   #13
Asle

Viva emacs
Old 27 September 2010, 03:43   #14
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
None of them

...say UltraEdit for example.

Now I'll just wait for people to tell me all of this is available on some Amiga text editor - but I still won't change
I think GoldED covers much of what you've said. Not that it will change anything

For me it's TurboText.

Also remember being very fond of another one called BlacksEditor (also known as BED).

And there's always Vim which has amiga roots (it was first developed for AmigaOS). But that's more a life's philosophy than an editor

Last edited by ppill; 27 September 2010 at 03:56.
Old 27 September 2010, 04:35   #15
kriz

Golded and ced
Old 27 September 2010, 09:47   #16
phx
Natteravn

I have to agree with most of the posters here: using CEd everywhere. CEd for AmigaOS/68k, CEd for OS4 and CEd for MorphOS.

Even when we got some better editors in the meantime, you just get used to it. It's fast and lightweight and I don't really need syntax-highlighting.

Under Unix I got used to "joe".
Old 27 September 2010, 09:53   #17
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Is it as powerful as CygnusEd's macro functionality? As you probably know, CygnusEd can put anything in a macro, such as menu options, and different search/replace strings.
No, of course it's not as powerful as CED's macro features. It's hard to beat CED anyway. Still, the macro features of ASM-One/Pro are quite handy.
Old 27 September 2010, 09:55   #18
squidbass

I just wish I could get vim to work correctly under amigaos. Then I'd be happy.
Old 27 September 2010, 15:27   #19
korruptor
TDI

I actually ended up using Xcode on the Mac, then did the syntax highlighting for Textmate. I used to use GoldEd on the Amiga, but I'm flirting with Frex now...
Old 27 September 2010, 18:42   #20
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I use plain ED most of the time for normal text use (amigaguides and normal text files), but prefer Devpac 2 & 3.18 for ASM work.
Which reminds me... how many spaces *should* the tab key equal? When coding, or typing text, everything is fine, but when listing it back using ppmore (which I renamed "muchmore" ages ago, and never changed it back - it's kinda funny typing "muchmore ram:" when I want to display files (I always transfer files to the RAM disk for editing... saves a little on the disk/hard drives, as long as I remember to transfer to the drive before resetting, or running my ASM code)).

err... rambling a little...

Edit: Rambled and forgot to finish what I was saying! When listing it back some lines are out of sync, despite being perfectly aligned within ED and the Devpac editors.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 27 September 2010 at 18:49.