English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 June 2018, 19:13   #1
Solderbro

A600 2.0d and Furia 2b trouble

The A600 work with the A604n, CF-Card 2GB Transcend rock solid plain as 68000 and with my ACA020. The machine itself was recapped full and have the 4.5 Amps power supply.

Puttin the Furia 2b in results to that:

-No boot, the HDD wont start glowing. Floppies don't make a sound, something wait for something.
-Unplugged the CF reader, now WB bootscreen appears and the machine is able to boot.
-Start with Install floppy inserted give the workbench screen, HDD wont go off but icons from the CD card appear on screen.
-Put an empty 1GB card in, result to a bootable system from floppy

- but all must be done under 15min, than the system goes from 8000003, 8000008, 8000000B in a dead loop and must cool down. While both coolers on the Furia are only hand warm.

Is there something like a harsh timing that won't work with the 2d board?
Old 28 June 2018, 21:16   #2
Lemaru

Try a different CF card. The Furia is quite fussy and only works with certain cards. I ended up using either SanDisk Ultra CF cards or an SD adapter when I had mine. I had a Kingston and transcend CF card and neither worked with it
Old 30 June 2018, 12:49   #3
Solderbro

Thanks have ordered a SD adapter now, together with the 90° plug it will sit even better than the longer CF adapters. It's not easy to get smaller SD cards today, especially industrial grade with better SLC memory inside.

Tried a CD-SD adapter today and got it working with a 2GB sandisk ultra 2. Used 0xfe00 as limiter and got the idea that someone did forget to use the parity bit in the ide driver. The mess with the internal ide and data loss reminds me to windows that did also not use parity, if there are bad cables and plugs or some EM field nearby all data passing the cable will be shuffled without the computer take a notice that.
The Furia seems to work stable with most floppy booted games and if the PSU is the big type with 5 Amps, otherwise processor action distort the video output. For the contact i cleaned the socket and Mk68k with Kontakt WL and screwed the Furia with spacers to the PCB. Pics will follow next days, waiting for the SD card adapter to make the IDE cabling obsolete.

Last edited by Solderbro; 01 July 2018 at 18:12. Reason: technical update
Old 02 July 2018, 13:52   #4
Daedalus

The Furia runs the IDE port faster than it normally runs, which is likely part of the reason for the incompatibilities. From what I remember there's a jumper on the board that slows it down, which might let it work with other, less tolerant CF cards. I don't see how it's a parity issue, after all, the SD card adaptor works just fine with the same driver.
Old 02 July 2018, 19:47   #5
idrougge

No jumper, it's a Furiatune option.
Old 09 July 2018, 17:11   #6
Solderbro

Got the Furia running, most time stable until cold start. The SD-Card adapter with 90° extension works well and repairs the HDD led function for me. Now there is red light into my A600, feels a bit like case modding.
The 68k socket was plugged again after cleaning the contacts and the Furia is screwed with spacers to the PCB.
Old 09 July 2018, 17:58   #7
Lemaru

I had similar with my vampire, from cold start it wasn't stable but usually fine when it had been on a while.

I solved it by sanding the surface of the socket so that it sat slightly lower on the CPU. The furia sockets have already been sanded off but could always try and take a little more off if theres room to. That solved my issues and it booted fine every time after that, and proved it was a connection issue

I changed the socket eventually anyway on the Vamp to use the same on as is on the Furia as they are generally really good sockets, they just are not designed to be used the way that A600 accelerators use them
Old 09 July 2018, 18:39   #8
idrougge

Funny, my Furia sits so tight I can without problems lift the entire motherboard holding the Furia.

However, the CPU should be thoroughly cleaned before fitting any accelerator on top of it.
Old 31 December 2019, 10:18   #9
EmuChicken

Currently trying to get my Furia SDcard *Sandisk Ultra* to boot- Can any of your actually pinpoint the issue as to why you couldnt boot? - I tried booting to workbench via Flashfloppy - and then turned off ideboost/ all fpu etc using furiatune- FYI the only thing I havent done, is use that L bracket for teh IDE... Can you guys provide a link to all the things that worked for you?

Thanks
Old 31 December 2019, 14:45   #10
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken View Post
Currently trying to get my Furia SDcard *Sandisk Ultra* to boot- Can any of your actually pinpoint the issue as to why you couldnt boot? - I tried booting to workbench via Flashfloppy - and then turned off ideboost/ all fpu etc using furiatune- FYI the only thing I havent done, is use that L bracket for teh IDE... Can you guys provide a link to all the things that worked for you?

Thanks
Hi mate....I tried a SanDisk Ultra 32gb(micro sd in a micro to full size adapter) works fine.

Ok we need as much info as possible....

1...what OS are you using...2.05..3.0..3.1...3.1.4 ?

2 how have you set up the sd card ? Winuae or HDtools ?

Kind regards

Mark
Old 31 December 2019, 19:49   #11
EmuChicken

Os is betterwb 4.1.0 (found on the GitHub) (workbench3.1) running on kick 3.1 in an a600
Set up in winuae, thrown across via win32 image thing. It works fine when furia is not clicked in. When furia is in then I can boot off adf/ flashdloppy... Can load up wb via floppy and access sd hard drive with furia in .

Last edited by EmuChicken; 01 January 2020 at 02:10.
Old 01 January 2020, 02:11   #12
EmuChicken

Could it be a problem with the hstwb loader, that is included with betterwb?
Using this install of hstwb and betterwb @ https://hstwb.firstrealize.com/download

Last edited by EmuChicken; 01 January 2020 at 05:23.
Old 01 January 2020, 08:16   #13
EmuChicken

Found out that PDS3 filesystem is installed as default on betterwb. Tried the CFflash out the A1200 (SFS) and it boots! Furia incompatible with PDS3 at a guess... Now to find out how to change to PFS3 (which works great w/furia, apparently)
Old 01 January 2020, 13:16   #14
Mark sealey

I've never used BestWB it doesn't work well for me....also with os3.1 I had loads of issues....until I updated to os 3.1.4...it was like a magic wand had been waved over my A600 Furia....all worked great....pfs3 is a must....(I format my 32gb sd card...500mb boot....and leave a bit at the end of the sd card for space 100mb unused)
Old 01 January 2020, 19:37   #15
EmuChicken

Is there a recent PFS3AIO *winuae* install guide? Intend to get it all ready and then throw it across to the A600 once done. Tried to follow one but seems that there's a LOT of faffing
Old 01 January 2020, 21:39   #16
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken View Post
Is there a recent PFS3AIO *winuae* install guide? Intend to get it all ready and then throw it across to the A600 once done. Tried to follow one but seems that there's a LOT of faffing
Theres a YouTube video i use...https://youtu.be/iqUiNARd-bg

I have the video playing on a tablet and winuae on the laptop...so i can pause the video and do it in steps....your laptop/pc will need a sd card slot/usb card reader.

Also the pfs3 aio(All in one) file system from Aminet.
Old 02 January 2020, 09:51   #17
mja65

If you want to get it working quickly in order to rule out anything machine or card related, I just installed ClassicWB through hstwb and it worked perfectly both on WinUAE (to copy across FuriaTune and FuriaTuneGUI) as well as on my A600 with Furia. For what it's worth I am using a 8 gig SanDisk ultra CF card. It also works on both the A600 power supply and my A500 PSU.

I know you want to use BetterWB but this might be helpful if you are trying to isolate the issue?
Old 02 January 2020, 09:57   #18
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
If you want to get it working quickly in order to rule out anything machine or card related, I just installed ClassicWB through hstwb and it worked perfectly both on WinUAE (to copy across FuriaTune and FuriaTuneGUI) as well as on my A600 with Furia. For what it's worth I am using a 8 gig SanDisk ultra CF card. It also works on both the A600 power supply and my A500 PSU.

I know you want to use BetterWB but this might be helpful if you are trying to isolate the issue?

I have seen similar setups working...the thing is to get the right cf card and adapter combination....what cf card adapter do you have ?
Old 02 January 2020, 10:06   #19
mja65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
I have seen similar setups working...the thing is to get the right cf card and adapter combination....what cf card adapter do you have ?
The cheapest I could find on Ebay!

All the cheap ones I see listed (including the one I bought) appear to have the same details on the board:

CF-IDE44 / 2.0mm Adapter V.H2
Old 02 January 2020, 11:53   #20
Mark sealey

1.....https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123879053174

2.....https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132792646075

3....https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163932041284

Ok I've seen Furia setup with No3...all seems ok.

Also No2 is what I first tried..could not get it to work.

No1 I've not seen working on any Furia setup's

I've been using my sd card setup for over a year...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...13580129224184

My Facebook page/blog

So us you cf card adapter one of the above ?