English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2021, 18:14   #81
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
PS. Do let me know where you got the "infinite blitter objects" statement from... because that's bullshit too.
Now now, if you have infinite time, the Blitter can do infinite Blitter objects
Old 13 January 2021, 20:21   #82
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
The CD32 is also arcade hardware.
ROFL, that's just too funny

As mentioned in another thread, just because they put it inside an arcade machine i.e. the CuboCD32:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
No not really, it's just a CD32 at the end of the day... so not really powerful at all when you compare it with the majority of arcade machines around that time.
Old 13 January 2021, 20:22   #83
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Tech specs are misleading and the CD32 would actually smash almost every one of those specs on paper

It has higher resolution, more colours on screen, bigger colour palette, faster and more powerful processor, Bigger game size, more RAM, CD quality music, 3 playfields (if you use sprites for one), 8 Sprites + infinite number of blitter objects. The CD32 is also arcade hardware.
Looks like an old Silicon computers advert from the .uk magazines . But SEGA CD ended up with more support :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the biggest difficulty, with no access to the source code of these games, is that to fit the memory with have, these games need to be sliced instead of being unified. SF2 in rom files requires a lot of ram. On the sharp X68000, you have the main code, the level files and sprites files, plus the music partitions in file played by the YM2151.

with 128 colors, a game like Daimakaimura assets could be ported. The real problem starts with the animations, and the CPU power needed to move all the sprites.....
dlfsilver, are the files easily extractable and what type of image format are they stored in?

Do you know what compression they used on the x68000 or what was popular ?
Old 13 January 2021, 20:54   #84
jotd
This cat is no more

this comparison makes no sense.

256000 colors: Most games on CD32 were 32 color OCS adaptations, not HAM games
2MB RAM: the RAM was filled by game code (Sega used cartridge ROMs)
multi-session: who cares?
Full screen video cd: 3 or (maybe 4 ?) cards were produced. Noone got their hands on the FMV module.
Sega 2D hardware destroys all amiga blitter / sprites capabilities. But that's not on the chart

68020 vs 68000 okay, that makes (with memory) a more versatile machine, not a better arcade playing machine.
Old 13 January 2021, 20:56   #85
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I wrote a commercially released Sega-CD game. It was a horrific machine.... I'd have preferred to write a CD32 game to be honest

My memory is a bit sketchy from that time, but I seem to remember that we had access to both processors (the one in the megadrive, and the one in the MegaCD add on), but there were issues with shared memory (I think we had to switch memory in and out for each processor to access it)

Last edited by DanScott; 13 January 2021 at 21:08.
Old 13 January 2021, 21:13   #86
jotd
This cat is no more

Consoles aren't the easiest to program. But the results are often superiour. Of course you wrote amiga games for years. Developping for CD32 is probably a piece of cake for you (ok who botched Premiere, Chuck Rock I & II CD32 versions? )
Old 13 January 2021, 21:23   #87
mcgeezer

Back home, Years ago I tried to port Rygar on the GBA.
I loved that little machine, such bliss to program for - they even have my source code still in the zip file.

https://www.gbadev.org/demos.php?showinfo=312
Old 13 January 2021, 21:57   #88
Gilbert

Quote:
ROFL, that's just too funny

As mentioned in another thread, just because they put it inside an arcade machine i.e. the CuboCD32:
yes thanks to you for this info. The CD32 was used as arcade hardware for real arcade games

Quote:
This is my problem with you Gilbert, you write things that are just not true and you'll argue with people who know what they're talking about. People new to the forum will come and read the drivel you spout and I fear they might take it as Gospel.

I suspect you don't understand what tile based hardware is.

The answer to the number of sprites it can push around in total seems to be 256 so I would reckon it has no problem displaying that number per scan line.

PS. Do let me know where you got the "infinite blitter objects" statement from... because that's bullshit too.
Well the X68000 can display 32 sprites per scanline. It's half a CPS1.

The Neo Geo which came out in 1990 can display 96 sprites per scanline. and it has no seperate playfields - so all it's playfields have to be made from those sprites . The CPS1 is clearly not more powerful than the Neo Geo

SO I really doubt the CPS1 can display 256 on a line - that is over 10 screens-width of sprites! Why bother releasing CPS2?

As for infinite bitmaps. That whole section was a joke. Hence the big smiley face, I was just writing what Commodore could put in the hardware specs with artistic licence. Maybe only-limited-by-available memory blitter objects is more accurate, but that won't sell any systems.

I mean you think the CPS1 can really display all those colours on screen without limitations? - Nope. Like you say - it's tile based - each tile can only have 16 colours. Hardware specs don't ever tell the whole story

Quote:
Back home, Years ago I tried to port Rygar on the GBA.
I loved that little machine, such bliss to program for - they even have my source code still in the zip file.

https://www.gbadev.org/demos.php?showinfo=312
Please try to make an arcade perfect port of Ghouls N Ghosts for CD32 next (this is serious request).

Last edited by Gilbert; 13 January 2021 at 22:14.
Old 13 January 2021, 22:10   #89
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You mean the crappy Cubo games?
Old 13 January 2021, 22:19   #90
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Please try to make an arcade perfect port of Ghouls N Ghosts for CD32 next (this is serious request).
Impossible, can't do a 384 pixel wide screen
Old 13 January 2021, 22:43   #91
mcgeezer

Quote:

You pay me £30,000 and I'll port whatever you like to the CD32. (This is a serious offer )

Mind you - You'll get a better offer from Dan and his games won't have any bugs.
Old 13 January 2021, 22:59   #92
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
yes thanks to you for this info. The CD32 was used as arcade hardware for real arcade games
You really are a total CD32 fanboy; and take everything people say out of context / incorrectly; and then try to make it as if the comments were positive

Let me repeat for the 3rd time:

Quote:
No not really, it's just a CD32 at the end of the day... so not really powerful at all when you compare it with the majority of arcade machines around that time.
Anyone who knows anything about Arcade hardware would laugh themselves silly about how rubbish the CD32 / Cubo CD32 specs are in an Arcade machine; not to mention the rubbish games.

As mentioned, you only have to look at other Arcade machines around 1993; they absolutely smash the poor CD32 in terms of hardware / power.

Take a look on System 16 - Sega Museum at Arcade machines from 1993, and even 5 years previous.

...and here are just talking about Sega Arcade machines; not the other 10 - 20 popular manufacturers.

Last edited by DamienD; 13 January 2021 at 23:05.
Old 13 January 2021, 23:05   #93
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
You pay me £30,000 and I'll port whatever you like to the CD32. (This is a serious offer )

Mind you - You'll get a better offer from Dan and his games won't have any bugs.
I'll do it for £29,999
Old 13 January 2021, 23:07   #94
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
You really are a total CD32 fanboy; and take everything people say out of context / incorrectly; and then try to make it as if the comments were positive

Let me repeat for the 3rd time:

Anyone who knows anything about Arcade hardware would laugh themselves silly about how rubbish the CD32 / Cubo CD32 specs are in an Arcade machine; not to mention the rubbish games.

As mentioned, you only have to look at other Arcade machines around 1993; they absolutely smash the poor CD32 in terms of hardware / power.

Take a look on System 16 - Sega Museum at Arcade machines from 1993, and even 5 years previous.

...and here are just talking about Sega Arcade machines; not the other 10 - 20 popular manufacturers.
I am wating for the post comparing the specs of the cd32 compares to system 16 board and how it better than all of them.

So cd32 can defo do ports of all those games
Old 13 January 2021, 23:16   #95
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I'll do it for £29,999
I'll still do it for £29,998 and provide you with GAF (Geezers Added Finance)
£29,000 upfront + £998 on completion of the game *

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I am wating for the post comparing the specs of the cd32 compares to system 16 board and how it better than all of them.

So cd32 can defo do ports of all those games
Yeah, I thought I was comparing against a CPS1 board - not a SEGA system.

* Game is not guaranteed to work.
Old 13 January 2021, 23:31   #96
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
* Game is not guaranteed to work.
That's a given...
Old 13 January 2021, 23:32   #97
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

i'm just about to investigate infinite bobs... I'll let you know my results at the end of time
Old 13 January 2021, 23:50   #98
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
That's a given...
I know, I learned everything about coding from you though
Well.... mostly.

Anyways... @Gilbert - No, the CD32 Can't compete with a Capcom 1 board.... it would be bit like this.... (The CPS1 board is Russel Crowe).

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 January 2021, 04:08   #99
Valken

Quote:
This was the maximum number of colours I could make on the screen in the arcade version btw

Colour count = 112 colours (including black) Again though you could probably make it look very close with a lot less colours
I HATE to agree with the majority here. Amiga CD32 STOCK will have a tough time being ARCADE PERFECT due to lack of specific chips, asics, co processor, whatever as it is missing a lot of HW.

Best case would be to develop near perfect GAMEPLAY FIRST, then do the best magically for sound and graphics. At least the experience would be arcade awesome instead of watching or waiting to load a pretty slideshow.

Imagine 5 year old PC/Macs trying to play Cyberpunk with Realtime Ray Tracing at MAX settings today! No way! But they can pull back the settings to get a good enough experience or just mod GTA V instead.

Going OT but if we could have wished back then, I would have loved to see add on processor or HW that added CPS1, X68000 and NeoGeo level tile and sprite pushers, with Yamaha sound chips and MIDI output. Wrap it up with 16bit colors at 1080p max resolution. AmigaOS multitasking all that with a full fat 68040 @ 200 Mhz would be a dream retro console toy to tinker and play with.

I think Vampire gets close in terms of hardware. Maybe that can be the ARCADE PERFECT Amiga we all dream of one day.
Old 14 January 2021, 05:09   #100
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
No, the CD32 Can't compete with a Capcom 1 board
Obviously It probably can't compete with an SNES, either. Those machines are just too specialized.

For general purpose computer usage it's much better, of course, but that would be because the CD32 is a general purpose computer stuffed into a console form factor, and not a specialized computer.