English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 April 2014, 00:44   #1
back2skooldaze

Jr-Comm and file transfer

Hello,Is there anyone that used to use there amiga computer back in the days when bbs sites were popular?
I have my amiga hooked up to my pc via a serial cable and on the amiga i am using at the moment Jr-Comm with very good results.I am able to log on to numerous bbs sites that i have joined as a member.

I am having some trouble downloading/transferring files from a bbs site directly to the amiga df1: drive the bbs site uses Xmodem-CRC but in Jr-Comm there is only
WXMODEM,XMODEM,XMODEM-1K
I have tried all 3 different settings but with no luck?
Its easy on the commdore64 using striketerm as there is XMODEM-CRC to choose so using that and the bbs site using Xmodem all is well but on the amiga i just can't do it?
Is this because Jr-Comm does not have XMODEM-CRC?
Old 26 April 2014, 02:31   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ncomm was the one most people used back in the day
Old 26 April 2014, 10:43   #3
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

+1

Freeware today.
Old 26 April 2014, 11:54   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

xmodem-crc is supposed to be backward compatible, so it should work, even if the receiver doesn't support the newer crc version.

did you try transferring to ram or harddrive?
Old 03 May 2014, 01:27   #5
back2skooldaze

I have tried Ncomm and still not able to download file from bbs? I have tried downloading the file to Ram and floppy disc.
I get the file to download in this case its c64 flappy bird and it tells me the details of the file then it states select receive mode (ctrl/x twice to abort)
I then go in to the ncomm transfer settings and in protocols its chosen Xmodem.
I then click on download download in ncomm transfer and a box opens showing me the drawer RAM: at the bottom i have to type the file name exactly as it appears on the bbs site.It then opens another box Xmodem-CRC download
filename C64 FLAPPY BIRD
at the bottom it shows its to be downloaded to RAM:
and then i wait and wait before it then times out and the download is aborted?

I can't understand this as i don't have any problems downloading on the c64 from the same bbs site.

Can someone give me a step by step to downloading a file from a bbs site on the amiga using Ncomm? I can get the file i want to download but then it states to go in to receive mode and if someone can help me from that point?

Thanks
Im tearing my hear out with this and it will probably be something really simple?

Last edited by back2skooldaze; 03 May 2014 at 01:56.
Old 03 May 2014, 21:20   #6
back2skooldaze

I have just downloaded JR-Comm v1.02 and in the protocol settings there is Xmodem-CRC but even after selecting that i am still unable to get anything to download from a bbs site?

I really can't understand it and what to do the bbs site protocol is Xmodem-CRC and JR-Comm is selected Xmodem-CRC and i have the download directory to DF1:

When i click to download the file it keeps stating connection lost? even though i am still logged on to the bbs site so when it states connection lost it then aborts the download and i have to press enter to continue on the bbs?
Old 03 May 2014, 22:48   #7
emufan

did you tested DCTelnet 1.6? on aminet there is a term-libs package with xpr libs, also supported by dctelnet.
within dctelnet you can choose the protocoll and choose the xprxmodem.library from the term-libs package. (put them all into libs: )
cannot say if it's working, but not much trouble for a test

edit: if you enter something into the adressbook - you have to push [enter] / [return] key in every line, before you save your entry.

edit: did you tested ncomm already as adviced by galahad above?

edit: i had a look into jrcomm and ncomm - i think, dctelnet is not what you need.
you do connect with a modem on phoneline to the bbs?
btw. ncomm does support such xpr libs, as mentioned above.

edit: jr-comm: options-> general: "file saver" can be selected and a folder for download you can enter.

Last edited by emufan; 04 May 2014 at 00:16.
Old 04 May 2014, 22:42   #8
back2skooldaze

Hi emufan,I have been using jr-com and Ncom i do have a version of jr-com v1.02 that has Xmodem-CRC in the protocol parameter settings but even when selecting that i am still unable to get anything to download?
I use Striketerm2014 on the c64 and bbs telnet server on the pc and in Striketerm2014 i select Xmodem-CRC and on the bbs site Xmodem-CRC and then just before the download begins i have to press P for program and then it starts to download but on the amiga when you select the file you want it then states to go in to RECEIVE MODE and hangs until you do something so what i do i press transfer at the top of Ncom title bar and select download then it opens a box for me to tell it to download to DF1: directory and then i have to type the filename in and then click OK but thats were everything goes weird because it opens a download box showing the filename but no file details like block size and it then states CARRIER LOST.DOWNLOAD ABORTED?
How is my connection lost when i am on the bbs site? I am using my amiga connected to a pc via serial null modem cable so no actual modem is involved so i guess i'm telnetting to the bbs site via the pc.
Like i said before on the C64 it works a charm but on the amiga using Ncomm or JR-Com they both do exactly the same connection lost.download aborted?

Last edited by prowler; 04 May 2014 at 23:32.
Old 04 May 2014, 22:54   #9
back2skooldaze

I have to express again my connection is not lost as i have to press enter once the download has been aborted and i then choose to either try downloading again or go to the main menu of the bbs site so the connection is always there.I do check the connection looking at the pc screen I am using Internet Modem on winxp its Internet Modem v7.1.7.1 by Terry R. Olsen and its very simple to use once its opened on the pc it just waits for the amiga to load NComm or JR-Comm and then if i type adtd i get dialtone ok on the amiga and the ok on the pc and if the connection was lost i would see this on the pc screen?

Surely there must be some amiga hardcore old timers that did alot of downloading back in the 90's that used NComm or JR-Comm that could get me up and running with downloading files?

I fully understand both the term program on the amiga and on the bbs site both have to be set for the same protocol in which my case is Xmodem-CRC but when it still states to go in to RECEIVE mode do i then go and click transfer at the top title bar of the term program on the amiga and then click download? or should the download start automatically once i have chosen the file on the bbs to download? If i choose PUNTER on the bbs site and then do the download i get googoogoogoogoogoo? I once did this one the c64 when i first started out but once i got both protocols set to Xmodem-CRC it was very simple and straight forward?
Old 05 May 2014, 04:09   #10
r.cade

It must be something on the other side, since of course those programs were used by everyone to download files (and filez).