English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 February 2008, 17:56   #1
Zapp_Brannigan

Winuae: Sound & CPU Problems... + resulting PC Freeze Problem

Hello.

Well, I had some sound problems already with my WinUAE but it got even worser now. And sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I used the search function and I found nothing helpful.

Ok so here it is (I have Winuae version 1.4.2a btw):

I can play all of my Amiga 500 games normally for a couple of minutes, then the Sound & CPU % get suddenly totally high: The CPU gets up to 120% while the sound gets even up to 160% high.
The sound goes then around crackling, "hanging" around behind what is actually happening on the game + the sound is repeating itself.

I can put the sound buffer size to the maximum and the problem stays, altough it seems to get a bit better. And really, whatever sound-setting I put, it doesnt change a thing.

My PC is not even 1 year old and should actually handle this. New PC games like The Witcher and Overlord work here without problems but the WinUAE doesnt mind that fact. So, I dont really know what is causing my problems here.

Hope you guys and gals could help me. Otherwise:
Old 09 February 2008, 18:22   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Standard test" is to run with sound emulation disabled. You can also try ticking "Do not use RGB overlay" in misc-panel.

(note that I don't support old versions)
Old 09 February 2008, 18:37   #3
Zapp_Brannigan

Dont use RGB overlays, ok then.

But sorry, where and how do I run a "standard test"?
Old 09 February 2008, 19:51   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Disable sound in sound panel. (it is "standard test" because it easily shows if the problem is caused by sound or something else)
Old 09 February 2008, 20:30   #5
Zapp_Brannigan

Smart thinking there.

And I found something interesting out: I played all the time windowed to have a look at the CPU %. Everything went okay, so I put on the sound... still everything was ok. Then I changed the native mode from "windowed" to "fullscreen" and BAM.... Sound and CPU % get up.

(I had ticked "dont use RGB overlay" to play btw.)

EDIT: I also played now without sound but with fullscreen. CPU gets here way up too.

So, I know now when the CPU problems come but I dont know why?

Last edited by Zapp_Brannigan; 09 February 2008 at 20:39.
Old 10 February 2008, 15:00   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ok, it only happens in fullscreen modes. VSync enabled or disabled in display-panel? (does both modes have same problem?)

Does the same happen if you boot with A500 quickstart mode and wait few minutes? What about A1200 quickstart mode? (do not insert any disks)

Display card and driver version? Windows version?
Old 10 February 2008, 19:54   #7
_Steve_

I wonder if your issue is something similar to what I experience in this thread, whereby when I go to fullscreen, I get very slow screen updates that affect programs like Octamed or Protracker, such that when the pattern changes, the redrawing is so slow that the sound can be stopped or caused to repeat briefly. In a window, this problem does not happen. I also do not use v-sync in fullscreen, but when testing with it enabled, the same problem occurs.

I am using WindowsXP SP2 on an Intel 6700 with 2GB ram and an NVidia 8800GTX using latest 169.21 forceware drivers.
Old 12 February 2008, 12:55   #8
Zapp_Brannigan

Well I started the Amiga 500 quickstart mode (without any disks), the PC freezed on me when I closed Amiga. (I left the PC there like maybe for 10 minutes - the CPU was up at 89%).

I let the Amiga 1200 quickstart on but only for some less minutes. CPU was up at 100%.

If I enable Vsync, the game Dyna Blaster has the normal CPU % but the Sound % is way up since the beginning.
With other games, in general it seems to me that Vsync enabled does help a bit. But it still goes, now only just a bit later, again wacko.

I Have Windows XP; as for the driver version, etc. I would have still to need to check what I have.

@_Steve_: Seems like we have more or less a similar problem. But my main problem here is the sound while yours seems to be the graphics. I might have a minor slowdown on the graphics side but I didnt notice it. I was all the time busy beeing frustrated at the sound.

Last edited by Zapp_Brannigan; 12 February 2008 at 13:13.
Old 20 February 2008, 13:03   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

I get this problem in windowed mode too.

I will do more testing tonight now I know there seems to be an issue, it only seems to happen with match A500 speed selected for me.

CPU usage never goes above 30%, but the sound is around -160% mark, even with a sound buffer of 7 set.
Old 20 February 2008, 13:25   #10
Zapp_Brannigan

Alright, good luck mate, testing around can be frustrating.

At least for me it is, since I dont know what some of the stuff on WinUAE means.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:37   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

I have definitely narrowed this down to the match A500 speed setting (disabling all other CPU "hogs" like cycle exact blitter and the other compatibility settings makes no difference as you would expect seeing as WinUAE never uses more than 50% in this mode on my PC).

I know Toni says "use sound buffer 4 or more" which does fix it occasionally, but can anyone else test this with a smaller buffer (2 for example) to see if they have this problem.

I use the most compatible A500 quick start setting, with collision detection turned to full and sound 100% emulated. Maybe it's a PC issue, my mobo has crappy on board realtek AC'97 audio.
Old 10 March 2008, 12:00   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have definitely narrowed this down to the match A500 speed setting (disabling all other CPU "hogs" like cycle exact blitter and the other compatibility settings makes no difference as you would expect seeing as WinUAE never uses more than 50% in this mode on my PC).

I know Toni says "use sound buffer 4 or more" which does fix it occasionally, but can anyone else test this with a smaller buffer (2 for example) to see if they have this problem.

I use the most compatible A500 quick start setting, with collision detection turned to full and sound 100% emulated. Maybe it's a PC issue, my mobo has crappy on board realtek AC'97 audio.
You mean you don't get sound problems if you use "fastest possible cpu" setting? Most likely reason is some power saving feature kicking in while WinUAE is idle (waiting for next frame)
Old 10 March 2008, 12:03   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Hmm, possibly, I have vista set to "balanced" mode. I will try "performance" mode tonight and see what happens.

It is fine when I use fastest possible mode.
Old 10 March 2008, 21:08   #14
Zapp_Brannigan

Alright wait a bit...

Ok so do I understand correctly, that if I put the CPU on 68020 & "fastest possible but maintain chipset timing" (& let the CPU idle at the very left), everything should be then ok? Or need I do more?

Anyways something I noticed: When the CPU and Sound % on my WinUAE get high, my CPU % of my PC gets 40% high.
Ok, so there is a certain connection... but what could that be?
Old 10 March 2008, 21:48   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hmm, possibly, I have vista set to "balanced" mode. I will try "performance" mode tonight and see what happens.

It is fine when I use fastest possible mode.
Does any of following command line parameters change anything:

-busywait
-nordtsc
-forcerdtsc
Old 10 March 2008, 22:55   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

It's better with -busywait, slightly better using -nordtsc only "crackles" a fraction of a second each time every minute or so, far worse with -forcerdtsc, pretty much constant crackling.

I enabled performance mode which has the inbuilt AMD cool and quiet stuff (with the throttle set to 100% and it was fine, no crackling at all.
Old 11 March 2008, 13:23   #17
Zapp_Brannigan

I am sorry but I dont understand what you both are saying.

Am I capable to put my WinUAE running alright on XP or...?

What do I have to do?
Old 11 March 2008, 14:00   #18
Ian
Global Moderator

Do you have a recent AMD processor?
Old 11 March 2008, 14:04   #19
Zapp_Brannigan

No, I have a Intel (1600 or so) but its Dual Core.

Bought a new PC 1 year ago or so.
Old 11 March 2008, 14:17   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

List complete PC specs, including display and sound driver versions. + winuaebootlog.txt.

Something is broken, most likely display driver or power management.