English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 August 2008, 17:59   #1
pmc
gone

Taking an A1200 apart

I've got two A1200's and would like to take them apart so that I can use the good bits from each to make one whole decent one but I have to admit that unscrewing them and fiddling about with the bits inside isn't something I feel very comfortable with.

Is there a complete muppets guide (ie. a guide suitable for me ) to taking apart an A1200 anywhere? - ideally something step by step for unscrewing one, opening any shielding etc. and lots of pictures with big unmissable arrows telling me which bits are which and what I'd have to unscrew / unclip to get those bits out?

Oh yeah, and an idea of how to get them back together after I've tugged around with their insides would probably come in handy too!
Old 04 August 2008, 21:57   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Not much things inside the A1200 to rip apart: the ROM chips, keyboard and floppy.

Just unscrew it and lift the cover starting from the front (edge).
Old 04 August 2008, 22:53   #3
twizzle

i thing to remember,
the 3 shorter screws are in the front (underneath)
the 2 longer screws are on the sides (1 )by the floppy drive, the other by the pcmcia port.
the shields are held together by metal tags.

lift the top case up and over, there are plastic locators on the back edge of the case`s, pull of the led connector,
make a note of which way the cables fit (red to pin 1)

on the keyboard cable clamp there are 2 locking grippers, gently lift the clamp, then pull up the cable, of with the keyboard

the floppy drive is secured with 3 screws, (1) on a bracket. (2) underneath the back edge,

you need to undo all the rear connector screw/nuts before removing the shields.

thats about it, (i think )

i use a slim bladed penknife to remove the roms, gently insert in the edge and work it in and twist from side to side, the highest No rom goes on the top socket (774-01) v3.1 (524-01)v3.0

if you need to straighten the rom pins? use a 1/2" piece of chipboard, perfect fit :-)
there are ( 2 ) extra pin holes on the rom sockets these should be to your left.
hope this helps you out

Last edited by twizzle; 04 August 2008 at 22:59.
Old 04 August 2008, 23:28   #4
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
twizzle has you pretty much covered. The other thing to remember about getting the main case off is that 3 of the screens are made to go in to metal and the others, plastic. The 3 longer fine threaded ones go, 2 in the back (into the floppy drive to hold it down and to clamp the case) and the other one goes by the the front near the PCMCIA port. This one screws through the keyboard and the little metal clamp you will find when you take it apart.

When all else fails, go slowly and take notes. Maybe even draw a scale "model" of the Amiga and tape the screws to it as you go. The insides are REALLY easy to deal with. There is really only 3 or 4 parts.
Old 04 August 2008, 23:29   #5
pmc
gone

@ twizzle: that's definitely some good stuff to get me started, thanks