English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 September 2017, 18:40   #161
Mq

Hello again guys. Today I built RTC, and it works good. I attach a picture:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rtc ok.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	54554  

Last edited by Mq; 11 September 2017 at 19:28.
Old 12 September 2017, 01:55   #162
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Hello again guys. Today I built RTC, and it works good. I attach a picture:-)
Are you planning to make & sell these on an online store? Just my hunch
Use a RTC-72421 & remove the crystal, they're calibration free and more accurate.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:00   #163
Mq

PeteAU: I respect it's Your project (with Mathesar ofcourse).
I do not want to do big business on Your good job:-)
Since we already talk about it, I ordered 10pcs PCB (the smallest possible quantity), what is normal, I suppose.
By the way I would never find out why my extension does not work if I didn't build few of them parallely.
So I would like to finish all complete extensions and some of them I will keep for my purpose, and rest of them probably will go to my friends.

I would like to do one board with SOJ sockets to testing chips, because of my earlier issues with them.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:09   #164
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
Use a RTC-72421 & remove the crystal, they're calibration free and more accurate.
Will they work as a drop-in replacement of the original RTC chip?
Edit: Looks to me like it should be compatible if you bend up pins 16+17 and connect them to pin 18 which will disconnect it from any external crystal.

Last edited by demolition; 12 September 2017 at 11:18.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:20   #165
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yep, they're pin and function compatible with the Oki M6242B found in the A500+ and on the A501. The system will pick it up just fine and you don't have to worry about tuning oscillators or any of that faff I've tested them myself in a Zorro-II RTC card and it "just works".
Old 12 September 2017, 11:25   #166
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, they're pin and function compatible with the Oki M6242B found in the A500+ and on the A501. The system will pick it up just fine and you don't have to worry about tuning oscillators or any of that faff I've tested them myself in a Zorro-II RTC card and it "just works".
So even though the data sheet states that pins 16+17 should be at Vdd potential, it will work even if they are not?
Old 12 September 2017, 11:25   #167
PeteAU

Quote:
PeteAU: I respect it's Your project (with Mathesar ofcourse).
I do not want to do big business on Your good job:-)
No worries. They can be sold for profit, as long as you release the modified design if somebody asks.

Quote:
Quote:
Kind of, you need to remove the crystal and 2 capacitors. Besides that, yes. RTC62421 is also good - they're made by EPSON and 100% compatible.
Edit: Make 16+17 pins NC, the chip connects them to Vdd, you don't have to.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:30   #168
Daedalus

Quote:
So even though the data sheet states that pins 16+17 should be at Vdd potential, it will work even if they are not?
Yeah, they work fine in my testing anyway without the crystal and associated capacitors populated. The datasheet is a little confusing, it lists those pins as Vdd, but they're actually outputs, possibly to do with making them useable in circuits that already have the crystal present? I don't know, but anyway, the key in the data sheet is a small line that says they are at Vdd potential and should not be connected externally (can't remember the exact wording...)
Old 12 September 2017, 11:35   #169
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, they work fine in my testing anyway without the crystal and associated capacitors populated. The datasheet is a little confusing, it lists those pins as Vdd, but they're actually outputs, possibly to do with making them useable in circuits that already have the crystal present? I don't know, but anyway, the key in the data sheet is a small line that says they are at Vdd potential and should not be connected externally (can't remember the exact wording...)
I wanted to use them in existing stuff without doing any other modifications, so I guess I'll just snip off those two pins to leave them NC.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:40   #170
Mq

Quote:
No worries. They can be sold for profit, as long as you release the modified design if somebody asks.
In that case, I have to think about it:-)
Actually I have some small ideas to improve PCB design, I might correct mistakes, and other odds and ends. Maybe I could to build extensions for people that can not do it themselves. But I have no time to do that, because of my own other projects I do... Maybe in the future...
Old 12 September 2017, 12:19   #171
Daedalus

Quote:
I wanted to use them in existing stuff without doing any other modifications, so I guess I'll just snip off those two pins to leave them NC.
Yeah, might be the safest approach since they don't seem to serve a real purpose. Just looked it up, from the datasheet:

Quote:
The (VDD) pins are at the same electrical level as VDD. Do not connect these pins externally.
The N.C. pins are not connected internally. Ground them in order to prevent noise.
Old 12 September 2017, 13:04   #172
sampedenawa

Just for discussion's sake, I build three boards + Gary Rev.C up to now, with the following results:

A500 Rev6a modded for 1MB Chip

Board #1: 4 chips, so 1MB Chip + 1,5 slow: random fill errors when checking full range memory, no errors when checking single 512k regions one at a time.

Board #2: 3 chips, green screen on boot (probably a broken chip, have to find it out)

Board #3: 3 chips, everything's ok

I have now to test all of above on my Rev5 board, then find out why Board #2 goes green screen.

BTW: I ordered 10 main board pcbs + 10 Gary RevC, but I am not planning to use them all, so if someone could be interested within a few weeks (give me time to finish my tests) I would sell all the remainders at cost (say, 5€ each).

BTW#2: maybe it is OT here, but I just wanted your opinion on the following: I am now testing the final proto of (yet another)flashkick switcher. It, as many others, can switch KS by holding CTRL+A+A but mine is different (as far as I know) because it preserves the choice upon power off. So next time you power on you find the last KS you selected (it is done by an AVR micro). At the moment I have a fully working board, and I am trying to make it flashable from the Amiga (currently I flashed the chips externally).
Do you think it colud be of any interest (so I will maybe start a dedicated thread), or is it of no interest for anyone other than me ? Thanks

Last edited by sampedenawa; 12 September 2017 at 14:09.
Old 12 September 2017, 13:31   #173
Mq

I think in board #1 You have errors because Your 6A is modded and because of it both chiprams are in the same address area. To use 4 memory chips, motherboard must not be modded. On motherboard You have to cut JP2 only.
Old 12 September 2017, 13:51   #174
sampedenawa

Quote:
I think in board #1 You have errors because Your 6A is modded and because of it both chiprams are in the same address area. To use 4 memory chips, motherboard must not be modded. On motherboard You have to cut JP2 only.
Good point, I do not have the board inf front of me now, but I feel you could be right. I'll check and report to the forum. Thanks.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:00   #175
Mq

On board #2 it could be broken chip, but it could be short circuit between some pins on the chips too. Check it first.

Finally with board #3 I don't know what to do, I have no idea;-)
Old 12 September 2017, 19:06   #176
katarakt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampedenawa View Post
BTW#2: maybe it is OT here, but I just wanted your opinion on the following: I am now testing the final proto of (yet another)flashkick switcher. It, as many others, can switch KS by holding CTRL+A+A but mine is different (as far as I know) because it preserves the choice upon power off. So next time you power on you find the last KS you selected (it is done by an AVR micro). At the moment I have a fully working board, and I am trying to make it flashable from the Amiga (currently I flashed the chips externally).
Do you think it colud be of any interest (so I will maybe start a dedicated thread), or is it of no interest for anyone other than me ? Thanks
Sure!! Very good, i have such a thing in my A600 but without possibility to flash . Do you have pictures? Maybe you can send me PN
Old 12 September 2017, 20:00   #177
sampedenawa

Quote:
Great man Mq666! It was it ! I shorted jp7 again and board #1 is 100% perfect in all tests !
Old 12 September 2017, 20:14   #178
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarakt View Post
Sure!! Very good, i have such a thing in my A600 but without possibility to flash . Do you have pictures? Maybe you can send me PN
Sent you a PM with a picture of the actual prototype board. Please don't mind of scratches and bad solderings (I soldered and de-soldered several times on it, so it's quite a mess). It is anyway a fully working board (except that you have to flash the two 29F040 chips with an external chip programmer atm). I still have 9 pcbs atm, should you be interested in 1 of them to beta-test it for me. Details in PM, not to bother the forum here. If the stuff would get more interest by others, I will open a dedicated thread.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:56   #179
PeteAU

New revision of the board, somebody plz check it

Hi,

I combined Mathesar's new gary adapter, redrawn by Mq666 into one board:

(links removed)

Changes:
- Added a jumper for RTC enable.
- Added a footprint for SMD RTC chip, so you can populate either one.
- Made jumper drills larger (0.8->0.9mm) per Mathesar's complaint.
- Gary adapter by Mathesar with flipflops for BLIT.
- Corrected JP4 error on gary adapter.

If you've never had PCBs made, it's dead easy:
- Visit your favourite cheap Chinese board house. e.g. https://www.elecrow.com/special-offe...pcb-10pcs.html
- Upload the gerbers ZIP file.
- Select 10x10cm, HASL and 1.2mm thickness.
Done!

Last edited by PeteAU; 18 September 2017 at 11:29.
Old 13 September 2017, 15:24   #180
Mq

I looked at the new revision, and it seems to be fine.
To know that everything is 100% ok, someone will have to risk ordering PCBs and build next one extension:-)

I think You should correct some elements values (another values on schematic and in description in the posts of thread) - especially C10 that is a resistor in fact:-)