English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 September 2006, 22:50   #1
sw2001

Amiga forever

WOW I'm really impressed, how many people are still in that forum here. The Amiga is NOT dead, it always will live, forever and ever. And with it all the good music, which never will die, but which never will be obtained by anything else.

AMIGA FOREVER !!!
Old 08 September 2006, 05:33   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jrjacobs76/

Last edited by Minuous; 25 October 2006 at 21:57.
Old 08 September 2006, 08:34   #3
Ultron
Something

Yeah, unfortunately even though the Amiga still has a large following that loves real Amigas like A500 and A1200, until the weirdos who're trying - and constantly failing - to make a new "Amiga" frankenstein based on failed platforms like PPC or whatever nonsensicality which have nothing to do with Amigas, and are fronted mostly by people who never even had an Amiga in the 80/90s, i doubt the real amiga scene, the Emulation scene, will be able to flourish as much as it could. The recents events are clear evidence of this. Some people are hellbent on destroying the Amiga Emulation Scene.

I'll even throw in the so called amiga "Developers" that make money out of selling Kickstarts and Workbenches that should be free by now, as they are for all other platforms, and who's time is solely dedicated destroy Emulation website after Emulation website.

In the meanwhile, the people who had Spectrums, C64s, Amstrads, STs, Arcades, NeoGeos, Nes and Snes, get to have a ball. The C64 community is a lot more vibrant than the Amiga, demos are still being made, complementory software, even new hardware, and a myriad of developments. While we just get to watch and wish we had it too.

Sometimes you have to wonder why must real Amiga fans carry the f'n cross. It's disheartening.
Old 08 September 2006, 08:45   #4
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
Maybe you should word that slogan a bit differently given recent events :-)
If that's a potshot at Cloanto's "Amiga Forever", i wholly agree. I can't understand how a company that makes money out of selling free open sourced Emulators, and Kickstarts and Workbenches that should be free Abandonware by now, that repeatedly forces the closure of Amiga Emulation Websites, and is clearly interested in benefiting snitches who helps them destroy said Websites and with them the health of Amiga Emulation; in anyway helps the Amiga. I think i've lost count on how many Amiga Emulation websites were destroyed like this - Many of them not even holding any violation content, but simply legally terrorised into compliance.

Quite the contrary, it seems, to me, that Cloanto is now the major hold up in an Amiga Emulation flourishment, until they have and mantain a financial interest in being the sole profiteers of Kickstarts, Workbenches, and free Emulators, the Amiga Emulation scene will never be free to be all it can be, and right now, it's shadow of what it could and should be.

All other platforms are free - even some that were more recent than the Amiga - and the Amiga still is paralysed in time, fallen prey of the same old parasites that unfortunately always plagued it's existance.

Let's hope for better days I'm not too hopeful though.
Old 08 September 2006, 17:46   #5
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

What a load of crap.

I think people need to look at things from both sides. Freeware/Open source is great but it takes a long time and very dedicated people to make a decent product (like Tony with WinUAE). To expect a commercial entity to pour money into a product and expect it to be free is crazy. The company is there to make money, period.

If you want true freeware then reverse engineer the roms, and use legally released games.

I also reject the "All other platforms are free". Care to tell me where I can legally download Nintendo games? How about some PS games? NeoGeo games? Anything??? Nope, they're all illegal to download, the respective IP holders protect them where they can. Just because you can find them on the internet doesn't mean it's legal.

Last edited by adolescent; 08 September 2006 at 17:53.
Old 08 September 2006, 17:52   #6
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
The C64 community is a lot more vibrant than the Amiga, demos are still being made, complementory software, even new hardware, and a myriad of developments. While we just get to watch and wish we had it too.
Demos: did you miss ASM06, where an Amiga AGA demo won the entire competition beating everything from C64 to PC.

Software: ever bother to check Aminet, lots of new software there every day.

Hardware: that too, look at what E3B, Individual, Elbox, etc. are doing.

Just because you're oblivous to this doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Old 10 September 2006, 17:54   #7
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
Demos: did you miss ASM06, where an Amiga AGA demo won the entire competition beating everything from C64 to PC.

Software: ever bother to check Aminet, lots of new software there every day.

Hardware: that too, look at what E3B, Individual, Elbox, etc. are doing.

Just because you're oblivous to this doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Although it's great that people still make stuff for the Amiga (me included) it doesn't change the fact it's dead. People still make stuff for the likes of the C64 and Spectrum, but they are still dead machines.

They are also more vibrant than the Amiga community (and by Amiga I mean the "classic" models, not that soulless PPC/OS4 nonsense - how much stuff on Aminet is for classic Amigas?). You can also download the Spectrum, Amstrad etc. ROMs/OSs legally, as well as most other computers. Is that a conicidence? I think not. If the Kickstart ROMs were legally and easily available to download, we may see more people taking an interest in the Amiga, and that could only be a good thing. What is there to gain from selling ROMs that are nearly 20 years old in some cases?

Companies and individuals trying to rip people off by selling other people's hard work from two decades ago for stupid prices are scum, and are harming the community in a big way (you know what I'm referring to here).

The Amiga's (commercially) dead. It ain't coming back. Get over it.
Old 10 September 2006, 21:27   #8
adolescent