English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 November 2007, 23:17   #1
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Bought a D-BOX for my Apollo 060 setup

Got my Stuff from amigakit.com last week and quickly got around to build my new tower setup . For parts it has: Apollo 060 80Mhz 64mb ram,D-BOX, MediatorSX, Voodoo 3, SB 128, PCTV pro, Subway USB, A SOLID FLASH 4 GIG HD, Fast ATA mk III.

Beside my Amiga, one of my laptops. In this picture the Hd setup is Classic wb modified with P96 and a Sheep background merely testing

I really like my new setup the Subway USB is the hardware that impresses me the most it is really a quality hardware\software bundle, if you are tempted to buy one do so at once i can not see why you would regret a Subway as they are indeed very Excellent ..The Subway is also smaller than what you get in the picture impression ..

Ok back to the tower :
The ELBOX D-BOX feels somewhat like a ultra cheap production were my Tower is made out of the worst plastic and metal. Although it may seem cheap i enjoy the product as it fits perfectly with mediator and accboard, It has a impressive amount of room and comes with a low weight ATX PSU, the psu comes with short cables so that the D-BOX is easy too keep tidy. The ATX PSU also comes with a smaller number of cables so that you may have to get doubler or extenders if you want 5x ide units. But who cares 1 x 80gb Hd and your MFamigastoragedays are good for ever. I did not bother connecting a Cdrom in my tower as i use a memory stick in my Subway instead. The hdd loading light broke shortly after connected though Maybe my flash drive load to fast for the bloody thing ? The mobo and other stuff were so easy to mount in the tower i am not even going to bother explaining how easy...All this said its great to be back to a RTG accelerated system i put allot of money into this but it is worth every £ or was that crown ...

What do you think guys i will post a few pics inside the tower next week "i hope" when i get back to Norway and my new Amiga .. I can advice anyone to buy the D-BOX but do know it may come with bent metal side doors as it is as thin as paper but this tower has a great weight next to zero compared to other like the Power tower for instance... All the holes etc match but do know a buss board that does not have ATX connector need additional adapter to work with D-BOX power supply.. Also know for reset switch you will need a PCMCIA fix with reset pins...

Cheers

*EDIT*
My next project "that black amiga" is also getting closer to a finish i have been working on some special BPPC cooling solution and will get back to it soon will post pics on that one also if anyone has interest ?,,,,

Last edited by adonay; 27 November 2007 at 15:05. Reason: Various typos
Old 26 November 2007, 23:31   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@adonay

it looks great, thanks for the review.... i look forward to seeing more hardware pr0n
Old 27 November 2007, 00:17   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I love the Subway as well but it does behave a bit oddly on occasion... transfering files from a USB Stick can sometimes cause problems - if the files are bigger than say 1 meg the software states that the stick has been unplugged! - I only run an 030 so maybe something faster wouldn't have this problem... never did get my Digi camera to work either...

The Tower looks like a PC box! - The Power and Z4 Towers always looked the part if you ask me... cant you spray the silver tower an sun baked yellow to give it added realism?
Old 27 November 2007, 00:34   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Ok, 1 Subway added to my Santa letter....
Old 27 November 2007, 00:49   #5
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Belive me get the Subway while still up for grabbs its worth it .. I will be buying 1 more for second amiga thats for sure ....
Old 04 December 2007, 21:00   #6
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Mods feel free to post this tread to prb.hardware pics---

Hi here`s my update note i only show small pictures here if you want higher res pics see the links

Just took out the TV card for better view ex voodoo, spot the subway

Inside you can see the stuff the PCI cards are Voodoo3, Pinnacle PCTV pro, Sb 128, and a RTL 8029 10mbps card.
Look at the apollo 060 and you can see that it has the second simm socket "first one is hidden on other side" It also has a heatsink becouse of 80mhz operation...

http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/amig...side%20big.JPG

Everything fits quite neat but it is a bloody cable mess behind there ..

http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/amig...20backside.JPG

To see the system before tower link bellow...
http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/retr...01200d%201.JPG

The sytem works great and feels great i love it and will not be adding more stuff to it .I even removed the fast ata mk 3and cdrom + 80gb hd (they are still there but no function "exept for the fast ata going os4 in other machine")

Oh and did i say it is fast :-)

Any additional pic requests please let me know :-)
Old 04 December 2007, 23:35   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Adonay

Awesome
Old 05 December 2007, 14:58   #8
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
just for perfectionism it needs littlebit longer ide cable to ssd
Old 05 December 2007, 15:57   #9
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

@Zetro
Quote:
@Adonay

Awesome
Not realy i just had the hardware and put it in there The only thing i actually did (HACK) my self was to add the 80mhz crystal ocilliator, The rest is just i had the hardware--- That saied its great to build a system were everything fits right from factory and not hacking my every way for once ...

Look up for my second project though as it will be a hack heaven with custom everything "that black amiga" Just built my self a custom cooling system removing the floppy drive there ....

@Chain

I totaly agree i will definitly improve it...
Or maybe i should make a PCI slot braclet "empty pci card" were i can just mount the thing "Like thoose old amiga 2000 scsi contorollers" :-)
Old 05 December 2007, 17:29   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Nice case,

Shame it has no front (or top) USB ports.

Can you use the PCMCIA port? It doesnt look like you can.

Subway is cool, shame that the USB stack it uses Poseidon is now a dead project following the departure of Chris Hodges from the Amiga scene.

I do hope that Deneb, the USB 2.0 HighSpeed Zorro III card from E3B is not cancelled due to lack of software.

Personally I would just use a stick on velcro band to attach the drive to the base of the tower.

Last edited by alexh; 05 December 2007 at 17:34.
Old 05 December 2007, 17:43   #11
kriz

Deneb is not cancelled, if you read the latest Amiga Future they have
written a feature about it.. I want it ...
Old 05 December 2007, 17:57   #12
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Nice case,

Shame it has no front (or top) USB ports.

Can you use the PCMCIA port? It doesnt look like you can.

Subway is cool, shame that the USB stack it uses Poseidon is now a dead project following the departure of Chris Hodges from the Amiga scene.

I do hope that Deneb, the USB 2.0 HighSpeed Zorro III card from E3B is not cancelled due to lack of software.

Personally I would just use a stick on velcro band to attach the drive to the base of the tower.

The case has usb ports in fron side i will supply a photo to explain later, it is on the right side "i was to lazy to stretch a cable there ...

I dont need the PCMCIA port in this amiga as i use PCI or USB for those things i can use one with a L adapter though ..-..

I am quite aware of the usb stack situation and also iritated since i do not have latest version on my computer"3.3 out of 3.8" and it cant be downloaded any longer from hes page.. "bye" ...
I hope the Deneb will be out for the Zorro owners to enjoy it uses DMA

Quote:
Well then i need a longer cable still. I should contact amigakit i can order any lenght from him (should get a perfect match).....
Old 05 December 2007, 19:42   #13
viddi

COOOOOOOOOOOOOL