English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 September 2019, 17:52   #1
rikkles

Debugger noob questions

Hello, first post here. Trying to get back into Amiga hacking after 30 years, and I am looking to get the hang of WinUAE and its debugger. So please excuse stupid questions (and I have searched the forums but probably the answers are too obvious to find there):
1- When I (W)rite memory it doesn't register if I (d)isassemble afterwards the same memory space, whether I use a 68000 or 68020, with or without max compatibility. Is there some kind of processor caching? And if so, how do I get rid of it?
2- How do I tell when in the debugger which file the actual code is running from?
3- Is there a way to easily write memory changes to disk without having to resort to some hex editor? I see there are L & S commands to load a block and save a block. Say I have hit a breakpoint and identified some code to modify, can I (W)rite memory and also save the relevant block back to disk correctly?

Thanks in advance, and sorry also in advance if I'm totally off base with my questions.
Old 17 September 2019, 20:05   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1) It should work immediately. All debugger commands bypass any possible enabled emulated caches.

2) Debugger isn't really designed for that kind of debugging (It was originally only meant to trace programs that take over the system). http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91321 is probably closest. Better integration currently needs extra patches, see other threads.

3) Yes, it should work. Syntax may be a bit weird in most commands..
Old 18 September 2019, 20:32   #3
rikkles

Thanks. I think it's the program PGA Tour Golf that's doing some very weird things. I'll dig deeper.
Old 18 September 2019, 23:46   #4
kamelito
Zone Friend

Regarding the debugger if you’re going low level there is also Adebug which is very similar to Monam.